The flavorful meat of fur-bearing critters

coyote 1

I am fully aware that 99 to 99.8% that follow "The Fun Den" don't think about anything other than the warmth and pleasure that only fur can and will provide. My question is have any of you ever eaten wild meat?

I ran across this article which prompted me to write about wild meat that I have tasted, eaten and enjoyed. If anyone of you has experienced the taste of wild meat please share a story of a recipe.

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20130914/SPORTS/309140035/There-s-flavorful-meat-fur-bearing-critters

Because I grew up in the sticks so to speak; acquiring fur for both my physical pleasure and sale has been a special part of my life. I have lived and worked in various parts of New England (states) and hunted in Canada years ago and again just in this past year. In areas that are remote and jobs are scarce. Where you have to depend on your surroundings for survival. Although rabbit and venison were the center of my families dinner table periodically. I never tried any other wild meat until I was in my 30's. One night a co-worker Ben invited me to join his family for dinner. His mom prepared the dinner but Ben was in charge of supplying the food.

When I arrived we sat and talked for a while. She served a fried spicy meat with cheese on top of a cracker. Next we went into the dining room where we were served soup, meat, vegetables and a deep dish apple pie. The meal was out-standing. I thanked them for dinner but before I left I had to know what I ate for dinner. I was a little embraced to ask until now.

She said with pride; the vegetable soup came from our garden and wild plants in the woods. The fried meat was squirrel and the main course was bear meat. Beyond compare the bear meat was the sweetest, most tender meat that I had ever tasted. Ben proudly showed me where the bear's hide ended up (it was being used as a bedspread). He smiled and said at some point it will become my bedroom rug.

Over the years I have experimented with and enjoyed the taste of raccoon, beaver, moose, caribou and other meats. In Quebec City, Canada there is an excellent restaurant near the airport: where the meat for the day is taken from the woods and flown in from northern Quebec daily. There is a fur farm I was associated with further north with a restaurant on the property where patrons can not only buy awesome fur pelts or garments. They also have the privilege of tasting/eating various meat that was raised on that farm.

Here are two ways I like to prepare raccoon. One is to marinate the meat in a brine for 24 hours: then bake it. Or broil it for about 30 minutes (or until tender) in salt water. When the meat is tender remove it and drain the water from the meat. Then bake it in an oven around 350 deg. (using a meat thermometer; the center of the meat should be 160 deg.) in a dry red wine, spiced with salt, pepper, coriander and cumin.

• 2 weeks later...

Coyote1,

Interesting post. I guess in an age when fur farming is taking a hit about wasting the animals carcus (is that 'as' or 'us'....not sure), this article goes right back to olden days when no part of an animal was wasted.

Not sure if i'm into mink stew, or fox burgers, but the responsible use of an animal has great value.

One to promote thought, thanks

Auzmink

• 3 weeks later...

Orylag is a hybrid, that supposedly has great taste and of course really soft and thick fur (close to rex rabbit, even better)

It is a hybrid designed for exactly this cause (flavorful meat and great fur as well)

Taken from www.orylag.fr

orylag provides innovation, satisfying trends without destroying wild animals : an ideal alternative.

Resolutely ahead of fashion, it offers the concept of a universal fur adapted to all types of garments from the most casual to the most sophisticated.

It has not only won over major designers but also met the approval of the greatest "chefs" who have praised the equally remarkable taste and nutritional qualities of its meat.

orylag is the fruit of controlled scientific progress linked to a quality approach that seeks a new ecological balance.

I often like to eat wild game. I suppose, if you're going to take an animal for its pelt, why not put the rest of it to good use? Eh?

If it's edible, eat it. Wild game is good to eat!

I remember the first time we had a wild turkey for Thanksgiving. Wild birds aren't as plump and large as farm raised birds. They look kind of scrawny, compared to farmed ones. When I saw it, I didn't think it would taste very good but I was wrong. That was the best Thanksgiving turkey I ever ate!

Wild game eats the foods that animals "should" eat. Insects, seeds, berries, worms and other critters. They aren't force-fed any chemicals and junk. Because they eat a natural diet, wild animals taste a whole lot better.

And, they say it's a whole lot better for you too!

So, why not trap a rabbit, use its fur to make good clothing and have a good meal from the rest? It only makes sense!

I've never had meat from a fur bearing animal but it makes sense to eat it if you want. Use as match of the animal as possible. That seems right to me.