Should Dudes Wear Fur?

Guest furlessinCA

Before I finished reading the first sentence, I knew that it was little more than a couched anti-fur piece.

Just enjoy the pictures and move on...

I think you need a very strong personality to be a guy wearing fur in the 'real' world. (As opposed to living a celebrity 'bubble' life).

My wife and I saw a man wearing a gorgeous ankle length mink after a concert in January. She was wearing HER ankle length mink so the two of them exhanged knowing glances. I really wish I had spoken to him but the moment passed very quickly and I couldn't have back tracked without making an issue out of it.

I would LOVE to wear fur but my wife compensates for both of us!

I think you need a very strong personality to be a guy wearing fur in the 'real' world. (As opposed to living a celebrity 'bubble' life).

As one who DOES wear fur in the "real" world, I think what is needed for a guy to wear fur is not so much "a strong personality", but confidence that you look good wearing your fur.

Whether it is a question of good fashion sense for men, or if it is about following what is "normal" for men to wear, the answer is the same for both: If you're concerned about what others think, than no, it's not okay for men to wear fur. Fear will keep you in step with what everyone else wants you to do. If you don't care about what others think, then yes, men can wear furs whenever they choose. Following what others want me to do is not my thing, so I get to go out in my furs all the time when the weather is permitting. I have a bunch of them, and only resist when I am worried my coat may get stolen, or dirty.

All interesting comments! I agree with the "non-celebrity" bubble world as well as that one must have confidence as well as not following into social norms. Admittedly I wasn't entirely confident when I started to wear my fur jacket to work as a college professor. Colleges and universities tend to be more liberal and "animal friendly" blah, blah, blah. I think my colleagues don't approve, but the students take notice. But MANY want to touch the jacket. With students I NEVER am wearing the jacket if they want to touch the sleeve or whatever. You all can imagine the headline.

With regard to "...looking good..." I'll never look good! If you saw my mug, you'd agree! HA!

Dongleboy: With regard to wanting to wear fur but your wife makes up for the two of you. DO wear fur. Then the two of you can go out "fur-ing" (is this a word?), go out while BOTH of you wear your furs.

Lastly, my students talk about me and my fur and relate it to the hip hop artist Macklemore who apparently has his niche of wearing thrift shop furs. They think it's (I'm) funny. One said that I was ahead of the curve with regard to trend-setting. Check out youtube for Macklemore. People actually wear furs to concerts and get him to put them on while he is on stage.

My $0.02.

JA

Hi,

I quite agree with Imricardito.

I really don't care what others think, and realised some while ago that wearing FUR is just as natural as wearing any other garment. In fact I increased the amount of FUR that I was wearing.

I have set myself the task of ensuring I wear FUR every day and it pleases me to reflect on the fact that I will wear some FUR every day for the rest of my life.

It's tricky in the summer months, but even then, when I walk to get my newspaper, I go fairly earlyin the day, so it is still somewhat cool, and FUR is (of course) essential.

Obviously when the cooler weather starts, more and more FUR is required.

I regularly visit London (about an hour by train) and I always wear my MINK coat, together with my SABLE scarf, SABLE hat, and some other furs. I often get favorable comments, especially from women who may or may not be wearing their own FURs.

• 2 months later...