Fur Colour/Hair Colour/Complexion

Foxb

Do you target a particular colour of fur because it suits your hair or complexion?

Personally, I think the same rules don't quite apply to fur as they do to other fabrics...

My hair is red, so I would think to avoid orange tones like red fox, but I'm not sure. Red haired people are supposed to wear greens, but I really am not keen on unnaturally coloured fur!

I just uploaded a picture of my hair against a blue fox pelt, which I think is nice. A coat one day..!

What are your favourite hair colour/fur colour/complexion combinations - if you have any?

I agree with you, I think it's easier to match a fur to your hair than it is with other clothes. I find that all hair colours can match all kind of furs, or maybe thats just because I am biased and love all kinds of fur types.

For me, I think it's more of how you wear your hair together with the fur instead of what colour you have. For example, if your hair is longer and goes over the fur and kind of "melts together" with the fur if you understand what I mean. Or for example if you wear it in a braid which you put next to the collar beside your neck. Two looks which I find very elegant and sexy!

And I think that red-heads and red fox is a gorgeous combo!

This is interesting as I've never really thought of that. I think that we tend to look at "What fur looks good on a person".

For example a woman with a very large "Build" would not want to wear fox where a a thinner person might one might.

I think that hair type and colour probably "fades right into that" without our knowing it. In other words a person might try on a red fox coat or a black mink coat with a silver "Tux" and immediately think "Gee that does not look very good on me so I am going to try this other coat instead!" It might well be that hair colour might be a big part of it. But that is part of your complexion. Complexion is in a way part of your "Body build". So you likely are not thinking "Gee this coat does not look good with my hair colour" but instead simply "Gee I just don't like this one for some reason".

The other thing of course comes in when a gal buys a new coat and then dies her hair the next day.

This may though be the "Guy's way" to look at things.

I think having a fur similar to your hair color would look great! I do appreciate/like contrasting colors, but I think if you wore a red fox, Foxb that it would go well with your hair color. I found a photo quite by accident of a VERY LIGHT colored red fox to the point that it looks blonde with a blonde wearing the coat. The picture is in the Sorting Bin. Hopefully you agree too!

JA

A very interesting set of questions Foxb.

Personally, when I was working in a fur store trying to sell a fur, I almost never even considered the customer's hair color or complexion in relation to the fur's color. I think a fur does not need to be "compatible" or contrasting to look good. I believe that if the fur wearer thinks the fur looks good on them, then it will.

When we bought our fur in New York City, the saleswoman did mention it when the fur matched her hair and complexion but it was never to imply that we should have bought one fur over another because of it.

I don't think a buying decision should be made solely on whether the fur matches the wearer's coloration but I do think a good salesperson should say so if it is true.

The same thing goes regardless of whether one is buying a fur or any other clothing. It is the salesperson's job to do what he can to make the customer happy with the goods he buys. If the customer feels better about his pending purchase because the clothes match the wearer's color then more's the better. The salesperson makes the sale. The customer feels good about the clothes he's wearing. Everybody goes home happy.

Isn't that what sales is all about?

Foxb;

From looking at your pictures, your hair is very similar colour, if not the same, as my wife's hair colour. She/we have 2 blue fox coats, and I love the contrast of her hair colour against the white fur, especially when she wears it down. We also have a red fox hooded jacket and a 3/4 coyote, but she tends not to wear them as much, although I am a big fan of long hair with any colour furs, as I love the way that the hair sits in with the long fur hairs, and on a hood trim or collar the way it separates the fur and hangs. Unfortunatly she is not that keen on wearing furs out, but atleast I get to appreciate it at home. I tend to think that the red fox and red hair combination tends to loose it's impact a little, as the two colours can blend in. I think red fox and blonde go well together. Also think red hair and a good quality, shiny black mink would go really well together

So to summarize, yes blue fox and died red hair does go very well together.

And I hope that one day you do get that full length blue fox coat

I remembered reading a furs.com article a loong time ago, discussing hair color and choice of furs. Unfortunately, it seems like the venerable furs.com has gone extinct. But thanks to archive.org, here it is!

http://web.archive.org/web/20010116081500/http://www.furs.com/tips.html

Color

Most women have a good idea if they look best in warm shades or cool ones. But fur shopping isn't quite that simple, even though there are fewer natural shades of fur than there are colors in the rainbow. When choosing dyed furs like bright purples, forest greens and raging red, the usual rules apply. When choosing from the natural beauty of fur, however, the following are some general guidelines:

Blondes are enhanced by brown or pastel mink, by lynx and exotic light shades of mink or fox. They would do well to avoid black mink (which can look harsh), plus silver fox, raccoon and chinchilla (too blue), unless you're a platinum blonde.

Brunettes dazzle in black or mahogany mink, plus any red or blue shades (depending on your skin tone) of fox, mink or wild fur. Stay away from very light mutation mink or fox, which can look jarring on a brunette if they don't have a substantial pink or red undertone.

Universal furs are sables and the lamb family -- persian, karakul, broadtail, shearling. Sable, persian lamb, karakul and broadtail usually come in natural, neutral tones of black and brown, while shearling is almost always dyed.

And whatever you do, don't pick a fur the same color as your hair.

Now let me state my opinion. I think coordination with hair color is one area where fur, at least natural fur, differs from other fabrics most. A red fabric is just that: it is red. But a red fox is not just red: it has all the shades of an autumn forest, from white to brown to yellow to gray. If a red haired woman would be better advised to stay away from red coats, the same advice would not apply to red fox.

I think this topic would greatly benefit from an extensive study of fur images!

• 3 months later...

My persoanll favorite fur is mahogony mink...

I really cant explain why I love it sooo much but i do.

Last i was at a furrier... I tried one on that not only fit me

Perfectly but I looked soooo good in...

Just something about a mahogony mink makes me go

A little crasy in a good way and is soothing in a

Comfortable wayas well...

Id love to eventually own 5 or 6 mahogony mink coata in the future..

I think i have a pic of my self in it on my phone but im noy sure which

Catagorie to upload the pic to.....

I think i have a pic of my self in it on my phone but im not sure which

Catagorie to upload the pic to.....

Paul2809,

All picture uploads should be placed in the "Sorting Bin" album of our Gallery with a reasonable description. Our staff will move them to the proper album.