Disappointed!

Foxb

Well, I found out today that I didn't win the contest - I couldn't possibly have provided any more information than I did on the designs that I did (I think - there was no feedback provided) so I can only assume that it was down to the actual design than the amount of research/effort/quality I put in. I am disappointed, obviously! I could be wrong, but I would be willing to put money on the guess that the winner they have picked has designed something brightly dyed (also womenswear: I was the only menswear finalist). I think this because the judges were the designers from Hockley and they're doing bright this season:

http://www.hockleylondon.com/collection/preview-splash

But I could be wrong - we'll see in a while what the garment looks like that is going to be made.

However! What I'm thinking is that I have something to prove now, and the way I'm going to prove it is that I'm jolly well going to make my designs into finished garments myself! I do have a fur seamer, after all. I could do it - maybe not in time for the show this year, but I can try. One of the things asked of me during my personal tutorial at the workshop was that I should submit enough information that the garment could be made from my design sheets. Because I spent time on this, I feel I could now make it myself with confidence...

Anyway, I actually feel even more determined than ever. I will be sure to upload pics of the sketches when I am able to, and the garments themselves if I manage to make them!

Foxb, I was sad to see the heading on your post here. I was certainly hoping that you would win as you obviously were too!

It was so obvious from the photographs, the drive that you have for the project. The way you have found the "New Old" machine there. etc. It is always a bit sad that when you get as far as you did that you are probably beginning to fight some of the stereotypes of the industry.

However, I can tell that you are just the person that will be one of the people who will be able to help the industry to get out of their "rut" and into a whole new phase. I certainly encourage you to do so and I am sure that others here will do so too. I also hope that we will hear from you often along the way. I know that I for one have really enjoyed hearing of your project and being kept up to date with it and I am certain that others here have as well.

In short, I am sorry that you missed the very top step on this one, but I am sure that you will indeed HIT many top steps in the future. And have a great deal of fun and excitement while doing it. Reach for the stars. And you might just go beyond!

White Fox

I'm sorry to hear that.

I know how it feels. It's not a lot of fun.

I have submitted photographs to the art show at the local art museum for the last four years and haven't had a single one get accepted. I'm not disappointed just because of the rejection, though. The thing that gets me is seeing the work that gets accepted. I know several people who's work wasn't accepted, either. Some of it was better than mine. But, when the show opens and I see some of the crap that was accepted, THAT'S what bugs me!

Underwear. An ordinary bra and a pair of panties. A condom. A wooden table with a pool of wax from a melted candle in the middle. Sixteen pieces of burned toast in a picture frame. An old piece of wood with dead lady bugs glued on it. A pile of cast off wood turnings. Stacks of Styrofoam blocks. All utter crap! This show is always full of edgy, off-the-wall tripe when dozens of really good works of art get rejected.

I make traditional photos, made in my home darkroom. I put a lot of time and money into my pictures. I work really hard to make them just so. Excluding the cost of framing, each one costs about $100 to make. Over the last four years, I have submitted three works (the limit) each time, only to have them all rejected. That's $1,200 worth of film, paper and chemistry plus hours of my time. I am not planning to submit any more photos to this exhibition, next year. Even if every one was accepted and sold for my full asking price, I could never recover my cost. By the time you subtract the gallery's commission, I would have to set the price at $1,000 each just to break even. There's no way this rinky dink organization could draw patrons willing to fork over that kind of cash! It's just not worth it.

There are plenty of other gigs in this town I have received awards at other shows. I have sold photos in other galleries. The art museum is supposed to be the biggest show in town but I'm going to have to put my efforts into shows that pay off, even if it's not strictly a monetary payoff. I'm going to submit to those other shows where good art has a fair chance of being accepted and appreciated.

There are two things I can say. First, keep trying. Don't give up! Second, consider your audience.

Look at the places you submit your work to and try to figure out what kind of things people (judges as well as the public) like to see. That doesn't mean you have to sell out and produce tripe in order to pander to the masses. It means you have to look at the work you do and tailor your submissions to the likes and dislikes of the people who look at your work.

Like you said, the judges are likely to choose brightly colored designs. Maybe you could submit works to places where more traditional colors are appreciated. Or, do you have any bright colored designs? Maybe that's what you can submit next time? When you come right down to it, art and design are very subjective. You have to know what your audience likes or is likely to prefer and work toward that goal. Don't sell out. Just fine tune what you already make.

Don't give up! I really like your attitude and, although I haven't seen much of your designs, by your description, they sound really good.

Just keep at it. You'll eventually score a hit!

I too am sorry to hear that you did not win.

Your determination to succeed and produce your design in spite of the loss is very admirable. Good luck and I hope you will be able to post an image of your design so we can provide some feedback on it.

Foxb:

I am sorry you did not win the design contest too. I think WF and Worker both have great advice, try again. I especially appreciated the "consider your audience" comment.

So, I'll relay a story that most, if not all, American sports fans know. I might guess that you might NOT know of this more because of your age (younger), rather than being female, after all females are sports fans too! Michael Jordan grew up in North Carolina. He wanted to play basketball in high school. He got cut from the team in his sophomore year of high school. Well not to be deterred, he practiced and practiced, and the following year he made his high school varsity team. Upon graduation he got a full scholarship to play basketball at the University of North Carolina. One game there particularly defined Michael Jordan. He made a game-winning shot as time was running out so that Carolina won the game.

He was drafted by the Chicago Bulls and "he never looked back". He went on to lead the Chicago Bulls to six NBA championships and is regarded at the greatest player to ever step on a basketball court. Indeed he changed the way basketball was played. He could do it all! He was inducted into the NBA Hall of Fame the first year he was eligible.

So, getting cut from his high school basketball team was probably the best thing that ever happened to "MJ". Not winning the design contest isn't like getting cut, you were in the running! YEA! (YAY) But it is obvious you will use this as motivation to design YOUR STYLE of clothing, of furs. After all 20 years ago who would have thought a black sheared beaver coat or jacket with flowers imprinted (dyed?) would be fashionable? Zuki didn't care. I have no doubt whatsoever that your GREAT designs will be appreciated by all in the near future. I'm also looking forward seeing your production once you make it!

So, while we are all disappointed you didn't win, at least you made into the finals, and as you said, yours was THE ONLY design for men. THAT in and of itself is something to be proud of! " title="Applause" />

All the best!

J

PS A couple of changes above.

Edited by Guest

Thank you all for your very kind words and for relating your experiences!

Sometimes I feel annoyed that in the fashion world (especially graduate fashion awards) the deciding factor of whether you're in the running for an award is purely down to the taste of the judges, not necessarily the quality of the work that you put in. I have been baffled by some collections that have won awards (I try not to be a bad winner though!) and sometimes I feel as if I'm not really part of the 'fashion world'. I really don't like avant-garde fashion that stops being in the realm of 'clothes', and I don't see the point in designing something weird for the sake of it (i.e. a pair of trousers with one skinny leg and one wide leg).

I do believe that my techniques are innovative, and I love seeing new ways to embellish surfaces or rethink the old - but my favourite designers are those who make clothing that is 'familiar' - in other words, it is recognisable to most of the public as 'clothing'. I think it is more exciting to see an adaptation of the traditional Burberry trench than it is to see a random geometric shape, and I love the cultural connotations behind certain garments and how one can play with how they are perceived. Last year, I made a donkey jacket - a working man's jacket often used in the mines - but I used mohair wool and white nappa leather to give it a luxury feel. That is the sort of design I like and I'm sticking with it!

This is the jacket I made last year: http://fav.me/d5jm82w I believe I have progressed a long way since then in manufacturing skill, but I can't upload my newer stuff yet!

I'm aware that it sounds like I've been blowing a lot of hot air lately, so if you're interested, here are some of the digital paintings that I've done over the years in my free time, too

http://fav.me/d28yhln

http://fav.me/d22hsuo

http://fav.me/d114wl2

http://fav.me/d17lrdz

I have felt so encouraged by the kind words I've received here. It has really helped me to cement my thought that there is a market out there for fur, and it has also made me feel much more confident about wearing it myself, too!

I just realised that I bought three metres of wool for one of my garments - I only need about 1.5 metres! This wool, however, would also work well in my fur design. It must be a sign!

I often think of these "Useless Runway Designs". I remember an instance about a year back where a person was wearing a dress worn "On the runway" by another designer to a different fashion show and the comment was made that "She didn't even know that you don't do that! That those clothes are for show only and not for wearing. Did she not know that?"

Well, if the design is not for wearing then what good is it. Just like you have said.

It is designs like you are mentioning that should make you sales and in turn money in the future in my way of thinking at least! I would think you are very much on the right track there.

W

Fashion runways are basically just art shows. Designers trot out designs that nobody in their right minds would actually wear. People politely clap their hands. Everybody goes home at the end of the day. Reviewers write them up in the newspaper the next day. They do it all again next year.