Nutria Hell

Guest OFF or Old Fur F##t

I have a client who has a battle that could have easily been caused by PETA as not, though likely not.

Some folks a while back though it would be fun, smart, profitable or for whatever reason to import Nutria to the Pacific Northwest and farm them for their fur. Heard this before right?

I wasn't able to locate it but a while back I was one of many that circulated a story [rural myth?] about a guy who was sued by the Dept. of Ecology for building an illegal Dam on his property. It was a Beaver Dam of course and they had failed to get the propper permits before building thier Dam Domicile. I thought it was very funny and, even if true, an appropriate story of governmental abuse.

Not funny now for one of my clients.

I'm designing a large Gazebo/Pagoda for her to hold weddings, parties and other events for hire. Her property backs up on a Class A wetland controlled by the Power Company [their Right-of-Way] and the State Ecology Dept. They have treeaten to file a Law suite for her cutting trees in the Wetland on the Power Co. R/W and her own property.

She had noticed a few small trees here and there being "cut" but its a wet and wild area she pays no attention to. The "Cities" out here are sometimes quite wild and this was in the back of her horse pasture land.

Seems some of those furry Nutria's had taken up residency and set up shop, which like Beavers, means cutting their daily supply of trees and shrubs, which by-the-way they want her to plant to offset "her" damaging the wetland. Desert for them she call it.

I'm not makeing this up!! A most interesting discussion over fur with a female client eh?? Staying on the FUR subject. This was talked about with my client just yesterday!!

I only half joking suggest she trap them. State funds are available for trapping the new "Nutria Threat" but of course the left hand does not talk to the right hand. One State Agency wants to sue her while the other will give her money. I make her aware of this in a very serious vien.

She asks me what Nutria is like? Architects know everything so clients think.

She reminds me a lot of Rita Rudner [a favorite comedian] and her delivery is fantastic. It's hard not to break out laughing at times. Particularly when she talks about putting it to her former husband.

I tell her the guard hair is very spikey but the under hair is like sheared Beaver and there are enough of them she could make a great fur spread. Her face lights up. "Maybe for the Honeymoon Suite? They could have a very nice furry first night?"

OFF

I seem to recall a TV show - perhaps it was Dave Attell's Insomniac on Comedy Central - where he rode around with animal control officers in some town as they shot and killed nutria. I don't think there was any great public outcry over that...

FLinFL

There are many rivers in Michigan that are looked after by groups that call themselves "The Friends of ... River" They are not necessarily environmentalist. But, they love the outdoors.

The damage that Beaver do here is unbelievable. They strip the sides of the banks of trees, which causes erosion, which then ruins the fish spawning areas, which then goes on down the chain of cause and effects.

They dam up the flow of the river which causes flooding and stagnate water.

No one around here views them as anything other than a very environmentally unfriendly animal.

Linda

please do not even joke about poisoning animals. I am fed up of picking up the pieces of animals being poisoned by folk who would be anti fur and hunting.

For wild animals cage traps are by far the best and most humane unless it is a "personal" kill.

Clamp traps are unfortunately indiscriminate and inhumane. I've done both in the past and regret the later to this day.

I had no compunctions offing a Muskrat but was happy I could let the neighbors cat loose, though a bit pissed. She was smart enough to not do it again. She did make it a game of hassling the trapped Muskrat in the cage.

It all ultimately gets very personal and we have to be prepared for that inevitability. Like my Aunt cutting off teh head of the chicken for dinner. Too bad shopping isn't like it use to be, for many reasons.

Wonder what Nutria tastes like?

OFF

please do not even joke about poisoning animals.

It was said in misdirected anger.

Sometimes, when I hear stories of government abuse of the public trust it makes my fists clench and my knuckels turn white. Sometimes that penned-up anger comes out in inappropriate ways.

I don't normally go around poisoning animals. Unleashing antifreeze near wetlands would create an unholy mess like letting a genie out of a bottle.

Wonder what Nutria tastes like?

Chicken?

Seriously... How many fur bearing animals are edible?

I've heard of people eating just about any kind of meat that roams the earth but many things aren't pallatable. I've heard of people eating woodchuck (marmot/ground hog) and squirrels but those just don't seem like they are "good eating".

I've had rabbit. When cooked well, it can be a mighty fine meal. What about beaver? I imagine it would be fatty or oily.

Off topic - sort of - but I'm just hoping that someday I can hang out with the guys at the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco....

...smoke, drink and shoot guns

...now THAT'S A PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLinFL

That's an idea.

She could throw a Cross Bow party and off the whole lot of Nutria in one evening.

Strong spotlights!!

OFF

• 16 years later...

Nutria...animals are in south louisiana from what I understand and they make for some nice fur coats... 

I'll see if u can find the YouTube link soon and I'll post it here when I do find it..