Mahogany mink vs Ranch mink

minkme

I noticed that Mahogany mink seems thicker than Ranch mink. Does anybody here have more information on Mahogany mink vs Ranch mink?

what I can tell you that I do know is that when I did try on a gorgeous full lenght mahogony mink coat is that the pelts were rather thick.... Ranch mink, ive seen them pretty thin only in pictures...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ranch mink is primarily black, although it can have very slight brown or reddish tones. Mahogany mink is reddish brown. The density and texture of the fur is not necessarily different, but female skins have shorter, softer hairs (in some cases MUCH softer). Both Ranch and Mahogany mink can be found in female pelts of course, and can be distinguished by narrower skins (typically). As other members have cautioned, confirmation of fur type and quality can only be determined first hand (pun intended), or through a reputable furrier or dealer who has earned your confidence.

I totally agree CF. Really I agree that to do a really good job of evaluating you almost always need a professional. Yes, most everyone would know the difference between a very good quality sheared beaver and a "crap" one or similar in fox. It is just so obvious! But when you get closer quality, like knowing the difference between "Expensive" and "Very Expensive" it is just not that easy! It really does pretty much need a professional to tell right off.

What we are discussing here is the QUALITY of the pelts used which VERY SELDOM is related to the color or sub-specie of animal.

White Fox makes a very good point that only a professional who has had a lot of experience with furs can properly judge the difference between good quality pelts and pelts of very good quality.

One thing occurred to me we may have not discussed. Even coats made with natural furs are usually color enhanced at top of coat. You can see the hide if you don't. There is a name for the process, but I have forgotten.

Also, if the fur has been dyed, it will oxidize much faster and have a reddish hue if a dark fur where the white furs have a yellow caste. It is common to "brighten" white furs.

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

What you mean is the "reinforcing" of the color, a procedure the tanneries do on black pelts in particular

We also have a few other procedures like "uptoning", "blueing", "whitening" or "optical"

These, athrough they contain chemicals and affect the color or tone of the pelt, they are generally considered harmless. Almost all minks (or foxes or other furs) have been processed with one of those or a similar procedure.

If they are not entirely dyed or bleached they will have a long life span.

• 2 months later...

Comparing mahogany and ranched mink - we compare the triangle with a green color. From my side i can explain the main difference between Northern and European Russian mink. Northern mink (no matter the color and type of origin: wild or ranched), have long guard hairs and middle-length underfur. This is because of cold temperature. The mink from European Russia where the temperature is relatively high, looks like the mink from Europe. It has short underfur and guard hairs in equal length.