Great News! NYT Article on Fur on the NYC Subway/Metro

samurman

If women in NYC started wearing fur even on the subway, then it is indeed great news!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/fashion/fur-slinks-on-underground-tracks.html?smid=tw-nytimesstyle&seid=auto&_r=0

The author refers to the unusually cold weather as an important factor in the increased number of fur wearers. I think she is right, so let us hope the climate change/global warming will bring us colder winters:)

Nice article, thanks for sharing. Glad to hear more people wearing fur this winter. I have seen more furs in the grocery stores this season, more ladies in fur coats!

It is interesting that the article was even picked up by a major paper in Toronto up here. So that is news!

Up here most news is negative. Let's hope that there is a "pickup" in sales in time! I think it will come. I've VERY little doubt of that. But the biggest thing is if there will still be enough stores to support the industry if it does.

The most significant news is of 20 something gals wearing full length coats! THAT is news!

Definately good to hear that in the United States, furs are being worn for everyday use like going to work, shopping and things like that. At least when the weather is cold out. I am not sure if this is the case in other major US cities like Washington DC? Boston? Seatle?.

That really is interesting and encouraging news.

Upon personal observation; I was in Montréal this past fall and visited not only a friend but one of Canada’s major fur designers. He had just filed for Bankruptcy in order to hold off creditors so that he could consolidate and reorganize his company. On the other hand I was talking to another friend in Trois Rivieres and not only did he have a great year harvesting coyotes; but the pelts were fetching top dollar.

I love to shop in Canada because their clothing styles have a tendency to to be a year ahead of the states. In walking around Montréal you would be hard pressed not to notice that almost everyone was wearing a winter coat with a real fur ruff. When I was shopping in The Bay and Simmons I also couldn’t help but notice that most of the winter coats had real fur ruffs for both males and females. I ended up buying an Artic North coat; the hood is fully lined in rabbit with a huge fox ruff. What I also observed was a lot of fox and raccoon tails hanging out of pockets. They were being made into and used as key rings.

In the late 60/70’s as fur fell out of favor fur ruffs on parkas was the last of real fur for people to wear and enjoy. With the current trends of ruffs on winter parkas in Canada perhaps; we are looking at the reverse of the 70’s and real fur coats are coming back as a common item. In Wash DC it is not uncommon to see people on the way to work wearing fur. This time of year a lot of furriers have weekend sales in hotel convention halls to get rid of excess inventory. I went to one when they first opened on a Friday night and the racks were full (avg. price $1200). When I returned on Sunday afternoon they were all but sold out. To give you an idea in pricing; I ended up buying a leather coat, fully lined in rabbit with a fox fur ruff on the hood for only $200.

Thank you for your posting!

From the article...

Her one concession to the M.T.A. is that she wears her reversible coat inside-out, to expose the rainproof lining instead of the mink. “I have noticed on the subway that people touch other people’s coats, and I really dislike that because people’s hands are so dirty,” she said. “I also have this phobia that the oils on people’s skin is going to get into the mink and then there are going to be bald spots on the coat.”

Okay... who was it? Please raise your hand...

FLinFL

(Yes, I am one of the guilty ones! )