Entered the fur contest!

Foxb

I haven't been here for a couple of weeks - been too busy working on my entry for the fur contest!

I'm excited but nervous to relinquish my project (I have worked on it for months). I was so scared that it would not get to London in time that I was tempted to take it down myself, then it occurred to me that there was an equal likelihood that my train would be delayed and it wouldn't get there at all...

I shall update you on any feedback. I hope that I will get to be a finalist, but it's a national contest so I'm not going to build my hopes up too much.

In the end, my designs used mostly coyote fur as well as sheared mink, and a few touches of blue fox (not all on the same design ). In my design development I had ideas for beaver, red fox, Finn raccoon etc... but only six designs were required so I didn't use everything!

excuse my ignorance, but which fur contest are you entering? It sounds like you have a very creative touch, and it would be good to see some pictures of your creations when they are finished.

Good luck in the contest, its in London is it? Not heard of any fur contests in the UK, is it more of a fashion based contest?

The contest is this one: http://www.britishfur.co.uk/index.php/fur-is-fashionable/bfta-design-competition/

So far I believe that it has only ever been won by womenswear designers (I think) though menswear designers have been finalists. I'm a menswear designer... let's see what happens!

Even if I don't place in the finals, the contest was a good experience and will be great to put in my portfolio. But I'd really, really love the opportunities this contest offers.

I'll be sure to show you all some imagery when I am able to!

Thanks for all your support. It was really useful to talk to everyone here when I was still debating the ethics of fur and also reassuring to find such a passionate group of people who are interested in fur. A few weeks ago I told my family about my contest entry and explained my position - I was expecting disagreement and I got no negative response whatsoever, which was excellent. Some of my uni tutors have been a bit wary of fur use but I was able to argue my point and they believed that I was approaching the matter from a well researched position.

Some people have an interesting reaction to fur. I made a sample (i.e. I manufactured part of a garment I had designed to show the technique) from coyote fur, using the particular V-shaped marking on the spine as a focal point. When I took this sample to uni, people couldn't keep their hands off it. Sometimes people would have a disconcerted or even disgusted look on their face but nobody could resist touching it. Very strange reaction! But more people loved the idea than hated it, at least.

Foxb, one thing this reminds me of.

Those of us here who wear fur frequently will tell you about it. When you wear fur you realize that people will "touch you" more. You will feel a touch to the shoulder, the back, or just to the side of your coat as someone in a store passes you so many, many more times if you are wearing fur. That has been mentioned here by others as well as me. It might bother some folks for awhile, but one soon realizes that it is really a compliment with folks just saying "I love that soft, soft coat"! But they have to "Want" to touch it in the first place. I think that few people can resist that even if they don't quite like the idea.

It's interesting, no? I've experienced the same feeling myself. When I visited the fur warehouse, they showed me every colour of mink. I knew they'd all feel the same... but I just had to touch them all. I'm quite fussy about the handle of most materials and I will reject fabrics if I don't like the feel of them, and I'm touchy feely with all clothing in shops too... but fur is something else.

I've had a few people comment on some of the techniques I've used. Laser etching, etc could be done with velvet or using a devore method. Or people tell me that you could get the same effect with fake fur. You could get a SIMILAR effect, for sure, but you can't beat the real thing...

Foxb:

Congrats again and well all hope for the best!

The ethics of fur use is interesting. When one looks at the numbers of animlas used in a variety of settings, fur is not even a blip on the radar. Animal use for food constitutes well over 90% of all animal use. Hunting is next (in the U.S.), then biomedical research. The fur industry represents about 1% or less of all animal use in the U.S. (I learned this in an animal use class I had to take to be able to use animalsl...every university has these). I suppose what gets me is anti-fur activists are ready to picket a fur coat store. Do we ever hear of them picketing a slaughter house? Let's think about who they would be picketing against in either case. I suppose fur stores are "easier targets".

At any rate, I am glad you found support here. I think I speak for the rest of the den when I say/write this.

CONGRATS AGAIN!

J

Do we ever hear of them picketing a slaughter house? Let's think about who they would be picketing against in either case. I suppose fur stores are "easier targets".

No, they don't. For good reason. If they did, a dozen very large men, wearing ski masks and carrying 2x4s would be waiting for them at the gate. It might be the last thing they ever picketed.

Little old ladies are much easier targets.

Wow! That is fantastic! It was easy to see from your messages that you have worked hard on this.

Hope you have fantastic results in the next step!

W

Thank you! I was absolutely thrilled when I found out. I have the workshop coming up in March now and another submission in April. A little nerve-wracking to be meeting the other finalists at the workshop - ah well!

Great news Foxb, congrats! Please tell us more at each step of the contest. I am especially looking forward to hearing about the design process and the things you will be learning along the way. Best of luck!