Travel to St Petersburg and Paris in winter 2013

fur999

Hi guys and girls,

Me and Mrs 999 are planning a trip home to Europe for Christmas 2013, to mostly visit family in the UK for Christmas. I have been in Oz for coming upto 5 years now, and as nice as a warm Christmas is, I really miss a cold Christmas, with sledging, snow men, cosy fires and walks in the park rugged up.

To make the most of the long trip, and to have a holiday for just the two of us, we are looking at going to St Petersburg on the way there (mid December) and Paris for NYE. I am thinking about getting the wife a sheared mink jacket for the trip. She is more likely to wear a shorter jacket, and the long haired furs are not as fashionable amongst the younger fur wearers it seems. 'We' (read I) have a nice red fox hooded jacket, but I think she would not wear it outside the bedroom much! Not really a complaint, but we will only have the normal 20kgs baggage allowance!

My question really is, getting to the point, does any one know if many people are wearing furs in either of these cities in the winter? Is it an assumption that Russians are more accepting of furs because of the extreme cold?

Any feedback from people who have travelled there in the winter would be appreciated.

If I were you, I would strongly consider adding Milan and/or Prague to the itinerary. Judging from the fur street photos, these two seem to be the top fur cities in Europe, if not in the whole world! One could also add St Moritz and other ski destinations in the Alps, but I specifically said "fur cities" not "fur resorts" to make a distinction between regular cities and travel destinations. If you are looking for cold, St Petersburg might be perfect for you, with only one problem: with temperatures regularly dropping minus 15 degrees Celcius, it may be too cold for the uninitiated:) One more point to note regarding Russia: I have heard many times and also asked this to many Russian friends that while it is quite normal for women to wear fur in Russia, men wearing fur other than ushankas or fur hats are a very rare sight.

Thanks for the info, especially about mens furs in Russia. I was thinking about taking my racoon coat, but may think twice if it will make me stand out and get stared at. As far as the other suggestions, we were trying to find a destination that neither of us had been to before, hence St Petersburg, and Paris is just always awesome. The wife grew up near Prague but has no family left there, so we are not too fussed about that, but Milan is a good suggestion as neither of us have been there. Ski resorts are expensive, although always guaranteed a fur spot. I would find it very hard to just go to a ski destination just for a weekend though, as I am a keen skier but my wife is not. As you said, we are planning a trip to cities and sights rather than a resort or specific holiday destination, as the main part of our holiday will be with family in the UK.

As far as the cold in Russia goes, having worked in the Alps for several years and the wife growing up in Slovakia, I hope we will not be too shocked, and it will only be for a weekend/3 days. Although I was hoping to be able to wear my furs too!

Thanks for the great suggestions Samurman,

• 6 months later...

As an update, we decided against Russia at that time of year, and we are going to Prague, UK then Paris. After doing a bit of reading about St Petersburg, it seems that as they celebrated their Orthodox Christmas 2 weeks after the Christian 25th, a lot of places are closed over New Year period.

I am glad that Prague comes as a fur hot spot, although I ended up getting the Mrs a fur collar and hat instead of a new jacket. We could not justify spending $1000 to $3000 on a coat, on top of the flights, accom and rest of holiday costs for a coat that may only get used for 3 weeks (living in Sydney). She wanted something that was fitted, so I was looking around for a sheared mink with hood and fox trim, but really could not afford the nice ones and don't want a rubbish one. As a compromise, she suggested a collar and hat, to wear with her down jacket and leather jacket. furhatworld.com delivered it yesterday, and the racoon collar goes well with her brown leather jacket, aswell as black long down coat.

Looking forward now to a good holiday, and fingers crossed for a white Christmas

I know you have made your decision this time but others might think of this. I was over in UK about 5 years back and was surprised at the number of faux and real furs that I saw there yet it was already too warm for furs. Add to that the comments by Mr M and others about London. Add to that a message by Brandy talking about a friend of hers coming to visit in full length blue fox and another member talking of listening to a young gal on the phone telling her mother she had not worn her long blue fox that day for some reason I can't remember. Plus others.

Especially something like Sheared Beaver I would not really hesitate to wear fur around London for instance. Men maybe or maybe not but women certainly not.

• 3 weeks later...

Great! I am sure you are looking forward to this vacation, I hope it will be a memorable experience. Do keep us updated as the story develops:)

fur999

Ah to be back in the North for Xmas - I am jealous.

Italy and Winter = FUR....so stylish, so plentiful so beautiful. Milan is a great town, just take the big bucks and a recent Time out copy for great restaurants.

Paris and Winter = Milady furs if possible....although the website seems down at present.

Prague in Winter - post the photos, I think past sets by individuals in that town have been great.

London and Winter - from Mr Mockle and others its becoming more appropriate to wear fur...so go for it.....

I hit the UK in November, cool but not cold - ---will take a mink scarf and mink ushanka as a minimum.

Auzmink

We live and work in Saint-Petersburg,

if the weather will be standard for this time of year -15 -20C, your european mink jacket will not save you.

Russian original mink coats have additional warm material between lining and fur, this makes Russian coats warmer - but harder.

I think yours raccoon jacket will be the best choice. Fluffy furs are much warmer and long hairs will cover you in case of snowfall. Mink is for dry cold weather.

Russian women prefer lightweight and luxury furs, but they usually spend winters in the car..

I suppose you are going to walk through the center of the city. On the Nevsky prospect. Take a look at our museums - Russkyi Museum and Hermitage. Visit Russian Opera and Ballet. So, you will be walking. You need to take a good hat that will match your jacket and test your new collar.

Talking about fur intolerance, there is no such a problem in our country. Fur - it's a Russian national attribute, it's something that was and will be much appreciated in Russia for many years to come.

Alex