Winter's here!

Fox

I agree that the white (shadow) fox is gorgeous. But knowing that white furs oxidize and turn a dingy yellow within a few years makes it one I would not consider purchasing.

There are many things in life that I have "lusted after" but when the "cost of owning" is considered, I decide admiring is sometimes better than owning.

Admittedly, I was rather jealous of that one that E had. I think he ended up getting a pretty good deal on it having gotten in from Oliver's (if I recall correctly).

You are right AK though in my preferences at least, I have noticed that Blue seems to show the yellow even worse than white. White becomes a sort of "Off yellow beige", but blue becomes something I find even more unappealing after a few years.

Yes, Fox. E! had it custom made by Oliver's Furs.

If I remember correctly he sold it.

trebor, yes! Golden Island fur is so beautiful!

WF, I think when they whiten/brighten them, it makes them oxidize faster. But, I don't know that.

Personally, I'll know the Northern Winter is here when Elsa Furs produces another fox coat that knocks the socks off all and sundry, like that extravagant way over-the-top Silver Fox Hooded Coat she has had for sale at A$13,000+ for 12-ish months.

Now, that coat in Norwegian/SAGA Blue/Red/Indigo fox.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm

WEG and make it double-sided *shiver*

So I have been thinking about all the "oxidation" comments. So, first, I am wondering what pigment/protein is being oxidized and turning yellow. Second, even though the natural blue fox color is WONDERFUL, why not just dye blue fox to black or whatever?

I've done lab work for much of my life. Sometimes we get reagents (chemicals) that are "highly oxidizable" so we have to store them under nitrogen gas. So most labs have a large nitrogen gas tank (nitrogen gas is cheap, after all it is "harvested" from the atmosphere which is 79% nitrogen) which is used to GENTLY blow nitrogen gas over the sensitive reagent, which is capped and put it away.

If blue fox is sensitive to oxidation, store it where there IS NO oxygen. Yeah I can see the headaches now. An entire storage room dedicated to blue fox coats so they won't yellow. You'd have to blow out all the nitrogen prior to openeing the door or any person would suffocate. At any rate, it is do-able.

The other thing I was thinking was what if there was some sort of VERY LIGHT vitamin E and/or C solution that could be misted onto the coat? Vitamin E and C act as anti-oxidants. That might help slow the oxidation process.

At any rate, I'm just trying to think outside the box as is said. I don't know if it would work. But a grant from the fur industry might help to anwer the question. (a bit tongue-in-cheek).

My $0.02.

Jack

furless,

Your oxygen free storage environment is an interesting idea, but exposure to too much bright light (sunlight or store lighting) will also cause oxidation of white furs.

AK:

Thanks for clarification! So now, that begs the question, is the yellowing truly oxidation or exposure to UV radiation? Again, back to lab stuff, some compounds are UV-sensitive. Perhaps what we are observing is UV degradation of some protein in blue fox fur. Sun block???

JA

Sun block???

FurlessinCA,

If you could invent a compound that could block oxidation of light colored furs withoiut doing any damage to the hairs or leather of the fur, you would have something that many manufacturing furriers and most retail furriers would want.

As to the underlying question of why white furs oxidize while darker furs seem to avoid the problem, I doubt anybody has an accurate answer.

• 2 months later...

Yes Fox... that coat does fill a void... and methinks some would like to fill its void as well.

Now all we or rather Elsa needs to do is make similar coats in blue/crystal/cross/golden island...... hell, any other fox fur will do LMAO

In the last 12mths plus, she has had four or five fox coats that have been ..... freakin' awesome, and three of them are still for sale... at $9K, $12K and this one at $20K.... and before you all panic, I am talking Aussie Dollars.... and with the Aussie Peso now more like the Aussie Greenback LOL, well, how things change and yet still remain the same... as in "Dream On, MacDuff!!"

Mr B, as far as I understand, Elsa makes these gargantuan fox coats after special order by customers, who are most probably members of our community , and she may or may not fulfill their orders through ebay. If I were to order a custom coat and pay that much money, I would try to shave the ebay commission off by carrying out the transaction out of ebay. After Elsa has made these coats, she takes their photographs before sending the package, and then lists them on ebay, in the hope of attracting newer customers. I don't think Elsa or any other furrier would tie fur pelts worth thousands of dollars to such a specific design.

I personally know that a well known power fox coat design was made to order for a fellow denizen by a US furrier. This furrier is still listing the same coat using the same pictures although it has now been many years since the original order. I am sure the furrier does not have the coat in stock, he only has the pictures. If you buy it on ebay, then, he can easily produce it in a week or so.