American Pit Bulls

SA_Mink

Hello all just a question ......why is it that a wonderful specimen as the American Pit bull is shrowded in with a cloud of controversy I am lucky to be the proud owner of one of these magnifiscent creatures my question is why does the breed carry the name "American"as its Breed name and Pit Bull as its secondary discription I hate what is happening to this wonderful animal.Put into the right enviroment these dogs can be very loving family pets but because certain cruel uncaring money hungry fiends insist on fighting the Bulls they have now gotten a Bad reputation with specially dogs that have come from fighting stock and taken into homes where people havent got a clue what they are letting them in for thus infuriates me. these people are the people who hould be put into a Pit and told to fight or die grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Im proudly South african and I will take on any one who feels that these animals should be put through this pain and suffering

SA_Mink

Like with Rottweillers, the American Pit Bull has been trained to fight and be aggressive. The breading carries over sometimes unfortunately.

Fortunately German Shepherds and Doberman Pinschers have been able to rid themselves of their negative training and reputations. Dobermans can be a wonderful pet.

My personal favorites are the Chesapeak Bay Retriever and full sized French Poodle without the stupid hair cuts. I like hunting hounds and water dogs in general. They generally make very friendly, good and loyal pets. Weimaraners are marvelous dogs too. More personality than many people I know.

OFF

No... I don't think so...

One of my uncles had one when I was a kid. It was a cool dog. He was named "Shmoo".

I don't think Pit Bulls are bad dogs but they are an aggressive breed. Just like German Shepherds and Rotweilers, etc. you had better be prepared if you want to own one. They require strict training to teach them proper manners around people. If you let a dog like that get out of control it will be nothing but trouble!

No, it's not the dog that's bad. It's the people who don't know how to control a dog like that who are the bad ones!

No, it's not the dog that's bad. It's the people who don't know how to control a dog like that who are the bad ones!

Well said! I've known some completely loveable and friendly pit bulls who have been well trained and are well-behaved, and I've had the utter misfortune of having known pit bulls who are absolutely horrible.

In each case it was the people who made the dog what it was.

Saint Bernards are another breed that can be agressive. Newfoundlands are supposed to be a gentle dog but they can get aggressive too.

When I was a kid, my neighbor had a Saint Bernard. A neighbor near where I am, now, has a "Newfie".

Both are very large, strong dogs and they "know" it. Gentle as they are believed to be, it is in their nature to dominate, purely because of their size and strength. When you get a dog that big, you MUST establish yourself as the "Alpha Dog" early on or else it will try to rule you!

As a youngster, we played with "Bernie" the St. Bernard out in the snow. He would pull our sled! To him, it was nothing. He had strength to spare! When we wrestled with him, he had no problem grabbing one of us by the leg and dragging us across the yard! He thought nothing of it! It was a game for him!... A very DANGEROUS game for us kids! Had my friend's father not trained that dog agressively from the start and taught it that HUMANS RULE DOGS and not the other way around, that dog could have easily taken one of us by the ankle and snapped a leg like a dry twig.

The current neighbor's Newfie likes cats... For LUNCH! No fooling!

I have seen him just nonchanantly stroll up to a cat and pick it up in his mouth and start chewing on it. That dog is big enough that he could probably eat that cat in about two bites! His fur is thick enough that the cat can't defend itself by scratching. He is just so large that he doesn't give a damn!

I also knew a neighbor with a big Airedale. Baby! Was that dog MEAN! His name was "Wolfie". You didn't go into Wolfie's yard unless his owner was present! There would have been teeth marks in your behind in seconds flat!

So, the truth is that PEOPLE get themselves into jams by not thinking things through before they go out and get an extremely large and/or agressive dog. They don't train them properly or, in the case of a pit bull, they train them IMPROPERLY. Then when something bad happens and some kid gets his face bitten off they blame the DOG!!

Cretins!

A friend of mine had a Weimeraner named Frabjus.

If someone got up from the dinner table she would hop up in their chair and sit upright like she was a persom. She would carry on a conversation with rower wooolf rooourrr with mouth distortions and expresions. Aske her a question and she would go on for a long time. You had to drag her out of the chair. Her moment of personhood.

My kind of dog.

OFF

What about the good old American mutt?

they are normally healthier and brighter than the "pure" breeds....

I have a small dachshund/chi hua hua mix (A dachsa hau hua LOL) who is a really cool little dog!

(below : "little squirt")

http://www.dragon-cookie.com/temp/squirt.jpg

Edit by White. Sorry Dragon had to change your image to a link as pictures are not allowed here on posts. Thus I changed it to a link for you.

and another that is a mix between a min pin and a manchester terrier.

(Both have appeared in many vespera shoots BTW)

Both are smarter and more obediant than any AKC dog I have ever had...

I used to stud pooples, yrs ago, but got tired of stupid, and sick puppies...

It seemed no matter how careful I was, something was always wrong...

It seemed like all the AKC registered dogs had something wrong...

(could be my lousy luck lol) but I have enjoyed these mutts they are great!

Worker11811 such a behaviour of a St. Bernard is very very unusual .

Personally I know several of this race but never heard that one would even make a gesture to grab anything other than food.

In social behaviour St. Bernard and newfoundlander are very common.

The main difference is: If you want to see a St. Bernard swimming you would have to give him a very heartly push 8)

Btw. the dog would not be very angry with you about that push......but sometime he will find a chance to fool with YOU

I don't know many other St. Bernards. Just the one.

To him, it was a game, I'm sure. We would wrestle with him in the snow. He would grab us by the pants leg and pull. He did like to pull our sled. Maybe, to him, it was just an extension of sled pulling?

I grew up around dogs. My father bred hunting dogs for sale.

That doesn't make me a dog expert, by any means, but I know from experience that big dogs just act a certain way because of their size. I wouldn't exactly call it "pushy" but they will just "muscle" their way into a situation because they know they are strong enough to do it.

A big, strong dog with a strong will around young kids can spell big trouble unless the dog is well trained.

"Edit by White. Sorry Dragon had to change your image to a link as pictures are not allowed here on posts. Thus I changed it to a link for you. "

Sorry I guess i should have read the rules...LOL

whoops!

I gotta say, It's in their breeding & come what may you wouldn't be able to rid the stigma which is associated with the breed, sorry but that's the way it is!

For me a I would choose a Boxer dog every day of the week, great with a family & a strong & classy breed!