A harder question.

White Fox

Again please do not search for this on the net It spoils the fun for everyone. However, this one is much more "obsure". You might not even find it with searches.

What Disney movie was almost associated with Uncle Tom's Cabin in it's title? The title was changed before it came out so the connection was not made.

Now then, I do know the answer, but confess that right now I don't remember what that exact title was We can try to find it later.

W

Yes Worker, you are correct. And I imagaine that Kappa would have thought of the movie name as well.

It was actually the first movie that included large scale animations along with live characters on the screen. Like when Uncle Remus watched the birds or rabbit hop on by.

I do not unfortunately remember the original suggested title, but it did indeed refer DIRECTLY to Uncle Tom's Cabin.

If you get a chance to see it at any time make sure you do. Videos of it are VERY scarce as Disney has not released any for quite some time. They have voluntarily removed the movie due to racism in it. However, as long as you watch it with an open mind you probably will not even notice. Indeed, the heros of the movie are pretty much all of African origin! (There are quite a few copies of it floating around with the text dubbed in, in English.)

The characters were taken right from old stories told in the folklore of the "Black African" culture.

(Now how do they spell Braer?)

Braer Rabbit. Braer Bear. Braer Fox. Uncle Remus. and his sort of favorite cook. etc. Indeed, characters that can be related back indirectly into the underground railroad era. And if you ever ride Space Mountain in Florida you will see them there but few people know now what they relate to.

Worker you are exactly right. You could watch that movie today and other than the first 5 minutes possibly, the film is still very up to date. (The first five minutes are not.) But that movie was made in I believe 1946. Many, many learned people in the movie business today consider it to still be the best movie that Disney ever made!

W

WF, I think in the context of spelling it was spelled "Br'er", I think being a shortening of 'brier'. I dimly remember having a book, Disney related I think, that has some of the stores that were in 'Song of the South'. I only remember seeing the movie once, and don't recall ever seeing it available on video; of course could have been before the time I started looking in the movie section at the store.

Hey, I kind of remember that now. You are onto something there.

As for movie. You won't find it in the stores. Only place to find one is on Ebay or if you happen to know someone who has it or who would copy it for you. It is a piece of history and well worth the money. It is also one of the first movies Disney made as I recall.

One of the best scenes is when Remus sits down and talks to the frog about Br'er Rabbit. So much irony in there it becomes so comical.

W

Yes, WF, you are correct, that is the movie I was thinking of. I remember watching in theater "long, long ago".. My family didn't think any of the 'racism' portion and were more into the quality songs the movie had.

...I think in the context of spelling it was spelled "Br'er", I think being a shortening of 'brier'. ...

If I am not mistaken, "Br'er" is a contraction of "brother." No?

...I think in the context of spelling it was spelled "Br'er", I think being a shortening of 'brier'. ...

If I am not mistaken, "Br'er" is a contraction of "brother." No?

Hmmm, I never thought of that... It might be a contraction for brother as opposed to being some form of contraction related to the briar patch in the move/book. Until WF brought this up the other day I never really thought about it.