• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• furpunk2

• allfurme

• Mr Barguzin

• LordTheNightKnight

BETTE DAVIS

"The Fifth Warner Brother"

Or , at various points in her illustrious career , "The Queen Of Hollywood". The woman who held the record for Academy Award nominations (10) , Bette Davis also claimed to have invented the nickname `Oscar` during her presidency of the Academy in 1941. Notorious for her fiery temper and the subject of thousands of semi-legendary rumours - the most often-repeated being that she fell out with three of her famous co-stars (Joan Crawford , Barbara Stanwyck and Miriam Hopkins) because she very angrily rejected their lesbian propositioning.

www.meredy.com/bettedavis/neilbettewp10.jpg

www.meredy.com/bettedavis/portrait11.jpg

www.meredy.com/bettedavis/portrait21.jpg

www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/6771/S ... e140sm.jpg

www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/6771/S ... de61sm.jpg

www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/6771/Images/cr3sm.jpg

www.geocities.com/Heartland/Lane/4474/bdfurh1.JPG

www.angelfire.com/ri2/rebeccastjames/bette12.jpg

http://cgi.zdnet.de/teleschau/i/200548/200548_160571_2_012.jpg

Enjoy!

MYRNA LOY

Voted `Queen Of Hollywood` in a 1936 poll Myrna Loy is best remembered today for her roles opposite William Powell in The Thin Man series of films. She was often typecast as a perfect wife but found the image somewhat amusing - "Some perfect wife I am - I`ve been married four times , divorced four times , have no children and can`t boil an egg!" Her parents named her after a train station.

http://members.aol.com/alisaahunt/myrna/loym01.jpg

www.meredy.com/myrnaloy/loy26.jpg

www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/2440/loy2.jpg

www.moderntimes.com/palace/30_image/thin.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/finefrock/loy_myrna_1_0203.jpg

Enjoy!

Myrna Loy was my first fantasy woman in fur.

I saw the Thin Man movies for her, many times. I could give a rip for Powell though he was pretty good.

We need to add those movies to the Movie List.

OFF

POLA NEGRI

Polish-born star of the silent era who , for a time , was a serious rival to Theda Bara for the title of `Queen of the Vamps`. Unfortunately Pola Negri made a complete spectacle of herself at Rudolph Valentino`s funeral , throwing herself onto his coffin in a monumental display of melodramatic overacting and public opinion turned violently against her virtually overnight. The advent of talkies killed what little chance she had of recovering her former stardom (she couldn`t disguise a heavy eastern European accent) and she faded rapidly from public view.

www.autograph-gallery.co.uk/acatalog/N12.JPG

www.stevengarling.com/bilder/festival/pola1.jpg

www.silentladies.com/Negri/Negri136.jpg

www.silentladies.com/Negri/Negri202.jpg

www.silentladies.com/Negri/Negri150.jpg

www.silentladies.com/Negri/Negri199.jpg

www.silentladies.com/Negri/Negri191.jpg

www.silentladies.com/Negri/Negri63.jpg

www.silentladies.com/Negri/Negri146.jpg

www.silentladies.com/Negri/Negri162.jpg

www.npg.org.uk/live/OC_Data/images/webl ... w18423.jpg

www.geocities.com/ll899/polanegri/p1.jpg Nice!!!!!!!

Enjoy!

Particulatly enjoyed the Sabrina, Rita hayworth (hadnt seen as many and as nice of her in fur before) and Barbara Stanwyck. She was always great as a villainess.

Thanks furpunk. A geat inspiration for some more period paintings.

HEDY LAMARR

The Actress Who Invented the Cell Phone.

I had no idea when I started this escapade just how enjoyable and educational it would turn out to be and the story of Hedy Lamarr is the best yet - it reads like the script of one of her movies but every word of it is true.

Born to Jewish parents in Austria she was married at a very young age to an international arms dealer who counted amongst his clients (and dinner guests!) Hitler and Mussolini. As the clouds of imminent war gathered over Europe Hedy became increasingly alarmed at her husband`s choice of friends and his paranoid protection of her (he literally had her under lock and key and spied on her 24/7) and tried to escape on numerous occasions. Finally she succeeded in drugging him and the maid he employed to keep tabs on her , and she fled Austria for London. Here she met the legendary Louis B. Mayer who was already aware of her notorious appearance in a European film called "Ecstasy" in which she`d become one of the very first actresses to bare her breasts on screen.

Mayer took her to Hollywood where she was soon starring in major productions , winning admiration not only for her acting skills but also for her natural beauty , her most famous role being in 1949`s "Samson and Delilah" opposite Victor Mature. Hedy`s mind , however , was becoming more focused on the war than on movies and when she met composer George Antheil at a party the two combined their considerable intellects (Hedy was NOT just a pretty face) to come up with an idea for remote-controlled torpedoes. The problem which had vexed the best minds of the US military was that radio control used only one frequency ; all the enemy had to do was to discover this frequency and then jam it. Hedy and George came up with the idea , apparently inspired by the composer playing the piano , of a radio control which used random rapidly-changing frequencies ; they patented it as the Frequency Hopped Spread Spectrum.

Just how far ahead of its time this was can be seen by the fact that the US military only began to fully understand its potential and explore its applications in 1962 , by which time the patent had expired. Today the FHSS is the principle behind the cell phone , wireless Internet access , and over 1200 other hi-tech inventions - but sadly Hedy never received a penny for her genius.

www.hedylamarr.com/about/image12.htm

http://katze-mit-wut.azundris.com/uploads/HedyLamarr.jpg

www.allposters.com/IMAGES/77/039_38442.jpg

www.skylighters.org/pinupqueens/hedylamarr1.jpg

www.skylighters.org/sweethearts/hedy/hedy9.jpg

http://satinballroom.com/photographs/hedy_lamarr7_bw.jpg

www.cyranos.ch/smkiesle.jpg

www.laughingstar.com/images/celebrities ... rr_2_6.jpg

Enjoy!

Hedy was indeed famous for being more than a pretty face.

A real heroine in her own time and certainly one of my all time favorites.

OFF

The Gloria Gray pics aren't Anita Ekberg but a transsexual called Gloria Gray. Man or woman 'she' seems to like fur, which is no bad thing.

Very Very Nice... especially the Sabrina and Anita pics... brings back warm memories of La Dolce Vita... various Diana Dors films...

.... dear god... Martha Hyer... we might as well have been married....altho I was but 15.....

... on late at nite.....

.........after everyone else had gone to bed...

oh my god... i'm an adult..... a parent for Gods sake.....

now I can afford DVR and a nice powerful computer....hehehe

Fear not , bromo999 , Diana Dors is on the way shortly .

Stand by for a major landmark for the Golden Oldies project , hopefully later today (time and two-fingered typing permitting).

Regards

DIANA DORS

Probably not a name that means much Stateside but Diana Dors was something of a national treasure here in the UK. As a young actress she was promoted as Britain`s answer to Marilyn Monroe (the similarities are blindingly obvious) but when she made the inevitable move to Hollywood she unfortunately chose to sign to RKO which was at that point on its last legs. A couple of poor films and a very public fist-fight with her husband later , she returned to England and struggled to find strong roles in decent films , being unable to shake off the stereotype of her as "common".

As she got older (and more overweight) her career seemed to be heading for ignominious obscurity until she began to exploit her "common as muck" image in a number of TV comedies. A new generation discovered her and took her to their hearts , and when she died in 1984 both the public grief and the tributes paid by fellow performers were genuine and heartfelt.

If you look closely you can find Diana Dors on the cover of The Beatles Sgt Pepper album.

www.dianadors.co.uk/gallery/pimages/dd40/d279.html

www.dianadors.co.uk/gallery/pimages/dd50/d056.html

www.dianadors.co.uk/gallery/pimages/dd50/d140.html

www.dianadors.co.uk/gallery/pimages/dd50/d252.html

www.penneylaing.freeserve.co.uk/images/DD.JPG

www.dianadors.co.uk/gallery/pimages/dd50/d164.html

www.dianadors.co.uk/gallery/pimages/dd50/d255.html

www.dianadors.co.uk/gallery/pimages/dd50/d152.html

http://gabrielleray.150m.com/ArchiveImagesB/IdaBarr003.JPG

www.dianadors.co.uk/gallery/pimages/dd60/d138.html

www.bbc.co.uk/southerncounties/content/ ... 50x180.jpg

www.moviestarsmagazine.com/picturegoer/ ... ry=pg5512e

Enjoy! (especially bromo999)

OLIVE THOMAS

Four decades before the tragic death of Marilyn Monroe Olive Thomas was the subject of "Hollywood`s First Scandal".

Winner of the "Most Beautiful Girl In New York City" title in 1914 at the age of 16 Olive Thomas was immediately hired by the legendary Ziegfield Follies and made her screen debut in 1916. She secretly married Jack Pickford , the wealthy but alcoholic and womanizing brother of fellow actress Mary Pickford , and starred in twenty movies in four hectic years. In 1920 she and Jack headed for Paris for a belated honeymoon where Olive somehow managed to overdose on the tablets Jack was taking to combat his syphilis. The inquest ruled her death as a tragic accident , believing Jack`s story that she`d mistaken his tablets for aspirin , but few believed his version of events. Whether suicide or murder the sad fact was that one of the silent era`s brightest starlets was dead at the age of 21.

According to legend , the ambulancemen called to Olive`s hotel room found her naked and unconscious lying on a sable cape.

www.newenglandfilm.com/news/archives/04 ... -olive.jpg

www.silentladies.com/Thomas/Thomas35.jpg

www.silentladies.com/Thomas/Thomas30.jpg

www.silentladies.com/Thomas/Thomas40.jpg

www.silentladies.com/Thomas/Thomas19.jpg

Enjoy!

nice photos

what a wonderful good old time with so big furs

thankyou for this work, go on, it's great

tombaer

Thanks for the kind words tombaer , nice to know other people are getting as much out of this as I am.

Have no fear I have no intentions of stopping just yet - so far I`ve covered 54 actresses and posted over 600 pics but there are plenty more out there so keep watching. Also if anyone has any suggestions or requests for their favourite actress(es) to be featured they`re more than welcome.

Regards

furpunk

DEBORAH KERR

I must confess to feeling slightly unpatriotic as I keep on featuring American actresses so here`s one back for the Brits ; Deborah Kerr , the Scottish-born actress who everybody remembers for her portrayal of Anna opposite Yul Brynner in The King And I.

http://hiwaay.net/~oliver/dkport7.jpg

http://hiwaay.net/~oliver/dkport13.jpg

www.cinekolossal.com/star/j_k_l/kerr/kerr1.jpg

Enjoy!

DOROTHY DANDRIDGE

A true pioneer who broke the mould in the 1950s. Dorothy Dandridge was a supremely talented actress with an hourglass figure and natural beauty who should have been a serious rival to stars like Marilyn Monroe - unfortunately for post-war Hollywood she was black. Despite this obvious handicap in a country struggling to throw off the chains of segregation and racism she still managed to become the first African-American to be nominated for a Best Actress Oscar and the first to appear on the cover of Life magazine.

Tragically she ultimately found the struggle to overcome prejudice too much to bear , and as the work dried up she took her own life in 1965.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/ddport35.jpg

http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/ddport27.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0783116748.01._PE50_.Introducing-Dorothy-Dandridge._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://cdn.channel.aol.com/aolnews_photos/0b/01/20051202123509990025

www.newyorkcool.com/archives/2006/Janua ... rts2_3.jpg

Enjoy!

extraordinary overview indeed!

There is another impressive fur goddess: Marisa Berensson.

I remember a picture series of her in furs during the second half of the sixties. It was in one of the famous fashoin magazines: Vogue? Harpers? Does anyone has this series?

Jerome