Coal Drop for new years

furup

hi,

Last night there was a news story about a town nearby that is having a coal drop instead of a ball drop on new years. They were hoisting a largr lump of coal (actually black painted strofoam) to be droped at the first night tonight. About 1000 prople are planned to attend. There was even a vender making kittle pop-corn to sell.

furup

p.s. this is in north eastern pennsylvana which is still a coal minning area

Having had the "opportunity" to welcome in the New Year at Times Square in NYC many years ago (when I was much younger and was, at the time, a pretty big party animal) I can say that watching a lump of coal drop in beautiful Northeast Pennsyltucky with 1000 of my friends would be one helluva lot more enjoyable than the insanity in NYC! No one - and I mean NO one in their right mind would want to get caught up in that mess! . I think that was the beginning of my dislike and eventual hatred of large crowds . . .

"The Duchess" and I are going to bring in the New Year once again this year with close friends, beginning with hors d'oeuvres and cocktails, a late dinner, good conversation and good music, champagne at Midnight and hugs and kisses to welcome in what we hope will be a 2011 that will bring everyone much happiness, prosperity that won't be redistributed, and good health. Furs will be out of the question tonight; currently it's 55 degrees (F) in the 'Burgh.

Furup, if you make it over to that nearby town tonight, let us know about the fun!

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

Happy New Year to all!!

Unfortunately, I slept through the new year's celebrations... that 4a alarm clock comes darn early on holidays these days.