man's full-length mink coat

dr_scotty

It looks okay but there isn't much to go on with just a picture.

It would be better if there was a picture taken from the front.

• 2 months later...

Could be mink. Certainly looks like it from the picture but it's not easy to be 100% sure unless the pictures are very high quality.

Let me point something out... Take a look at the man's right sleeve as seen in the bottom picture. The one taken from the back. See the buttons on the sleeve? Tell me that the fur around those buttons doesn't look ragged and aged.

That's a sign, to me, that the coat is fairly old. Any second hand fur that is more than 5 years old and hasn't been scrupulously cared for throughout its life isn't going to be worth a whole lot.

Now, I might be wrong. If I am, somebody please correct me.

The thing that makes me wonder is that there are no full length pictures of the coat taken from the front. Why not? That's the first thing you see when you look at somebody wearing a coat. Isn't it? Does the person have something to hide?

In the absence of better information, all we have to go on are these pictures. Based on those pictures, I'm not encouraged.

Could be mink. Certainly looks like it from the picture but it's not easy to be 100% sure unless the pictures are very high quality.

Let me point something out... Take a look at the man's right sleeve as seen in the bottom picture. The one taken from the back. See the buttons on the sleeve? Tell me that the fur around those buttons doesn't look ragged and aged.

That's a sign, to me, that the coat is fairly old. Any second hand fur that is more than 5 years old and hasn't been scrupulously cared for throughout its life isn't going to be worth a whole lot.

Now, I might be wrong. If I am, somebody please correct me.

The thing that makes me wonder is that there are no full length pictures of the coat taken from the front. Why not? That's the first thing you see when you look at somebody wearing a coat. Isn't it? Does the person have something to hide?

In the absence of better information, all we have to go on are these pictures. Based on those pictures, I'm not encouraged.

I think if you click on the pictures, you can see larger, clearer images. Also, the album that the pictures link to contain photos from front-view. Take a look, and let me know what you think/discover.

Scotty

I would love to see one of the people who are far more knowledgeable on these things chip in here. However...

The problem with black or very dark mink is that it is just not easy to see from photos what it really is like. For instance, it could be an imitation fur and we might well not be very able to tell. I am NOT trying to say this is imitation. I AM trying to say that it is just hard to tell much about black mink from a photo. It is the contrast of darks and lights for instance in a photo that allow us to see possible quality, worn spots, etc. With something that is all black and thus has little contrast it is almost impossible to tell from a photo the quality.

I also want to stress that we can help you by doing our best. But our best is simply that. An attempt to help you out a bit as one of our friends here. But we just cannot say that it is high or low quality for certain for instance.

Again, I hope that others here who are more familiar with such photos can help you out even further. I do think Worker made a good start though.

J

According to the webshots link, the owner of this coat is an esthetic surgeon in Manhattan and the coat is a Blackglama mink, bought in 2008:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2660131020072357682ZhLgoV

"I am an (exclusive) cosmetic surgeon based in Manhattan. I split my time between Manhattan's Upper East Side, my home in Greenwich, CT, and my winter home base in the Bahamas. My wife is a highly successful fashion magazine editor and all-rounder-type socialite creature, and my best friend. During the months without an r, I am often found playing polo at the Governor's Island Polo Club...if there is an r and I am not in New York, I am offshore enjoying the good times in the Caribbean... I love fashion. I own over 500 (Bespoke) suits, and nearly 2000 pairs of shoes and boots. I also own a few full-length fur coats. Here I am wearing my bespoke Blackglama mink coat, received 2008. Pants: Trousers from 2009 Caracelli bespoke pure vicuna 3-piece Shirt: Brioni bespoke. Loafers: Lorenzo Banfi, calf I love fur. For me, fur is not about keeping warm, as much as it is about having a luxurious overcoat. "

According to the webshots link, the owner of this coat is an esthetic surgeon in Manhattan and the coat is a Blackglama mink, bought in 2008:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2660131020072357682ZhLgoV

"I am an (exclusive) cosmetic surgeon based in Manhattan. I split my time between Manhattan's Upper East Side, my home in Greenwich, CT, and my winter home base in the Bahamas. My wife is a highly successful fashion magazine editor and all-rounder-type socialite creature, and my best friend. During the months without an r, I am often found playing polo at the Governor's Island Polo Club...if there is an r and I am not in New York, I am offshore enjoying the good times in the Caribbean... I love fashion. I own over 500 (Bespoke) suits, and nearly 2000 pairs of shoes and boots. I also own a few full-length fur coats. Here I am wearing my bespoke Blackglama mink coat, received 2008. Pants: Trousers from 2009 Caracelli bespoke pure vicuna 3-piece Shirt: Brioni bespoke. Loafers: Lorenzo Banfi, calf I love fur. For me, fur is not about keeping warm, as much as it is about having a luxurious overcoat. "

wow. thanks for the research, chief

what exactly is "bespoke Blackglama" mink? Is this a sub-breed?

He says "For me, fur is not about keeping warm, as much as it is about having a luxurious overcoat. "

Sounds like he belongs in this forum.

I tried to write something on the comments section, but I am have trouble accessing the webshots album. anyone else with the same problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Careful, Scotty: the coat looks quite beautiful to me; but there are two different people wearing it if you go through all the photos (there is one pic of a silver-haired gent and all the rest are the same, unshaven character who appears to be rather narcissistic -- I suppose one cannot hold that against anyone; but this is supposed to be a surgeon?)

Any idea about he is selling it? And for how much? It seems to fit him alright, so I wonder about that, too.

Flummoxed!

Good observations, MM! I have another - Check out this dude's hands! Are those the hands of a surgeon?? NOT! Looks like this guy just crawled out of a grave for the photo shoot - ! They don't even look human, for cryin' out loud, much less the hands of a surgeon! GMAB!

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful coat, but...

Dr Alex Lämmli-Zeller?

Certainly a respected professional wouldn't brag about himself like that. Would he?

Then there's this curiously worded caption:

"Fortunately, my wife prefers soft and doughy draped in cashmere, over steely muscle sweaty in spandex.... Thank God for the suit jacket to cover it up... I believe I overindulgenced on one of Jeremy Wagg's creations that day...he makes one of my favs-- two whole quails, lightly roasted with truffles and then de-boned, and then stuffed with a delicate foie gras stuffing, with a warm port jus and lots of truffle butter...perfect for lunch on a crisp fall day..."

I think these photos come from a fellow fur fan, not a Dr. such-and-such -- who, incidentally, would have to maintain a level of discretion in order to have an 'exclusive' patient list. Please don't judge a book by its cover, friends.

J.