Stone marten

elbas3175

If I recall correctly, stone marten and sable are "cousins". Both are typically rare and expensive garments (with sable being the rarest and most expensive).

The garment in question is generously cut (collar, sweep, etc.) so I would be more apt to classify it as reasonably priced versus a "bargain". I don't think in today's economy it would fetch anywhere near $25,000. Just my two cents.

JG is correct and boy do I have a fondness for Stone Marten

I got a short Stone Marten coat bargain for a lining and can't wait to get enough extra to make it happen.

OFF

If I recall correctly, stone martin, mink, martin, sable, and fisher are all classified as parts of the weasel family. Thus JG's saying sable and stone martin are "cousins" would be correct.

The listing's pictures look like a large coat on a small model to me.

I think the $25000 "regular price" is an overly inflated fake figure to make the item appear to be a bargain. While I am not aware of what the market value of stone martin is these days, I think $9500 could be a bit high especially since the pelts do not show much let-out work.

Surprised that you didn't notice the man's (Canadian) sable coat as well. Now THAT coat is getting close to what I'd like, but the epaulettes and backside loop can go west. Wonder if they are "Minor Adjustments"?

Oh don't worry, Mr B, I had spotted the men's sable as well! Didn't quite like it - I prefer a much bigger collar.

So is stone marten basically the same to the touch as Canadian sable, or not quite as silky smooth?

I missed the men's sable. Based upon a quote I got a few years ago for a custom men's Canadian sable coat, it looks reasoanbly priced as well. But, agreed, not a fan of the trenchcoat/military "trappings" and would prefur a much larger collar. And the photos are a little off to me ... I am assuming it is fully let out but not 100% certain.

To me, the mens sable looks to NOT be let-out.

It didn't look that way to me either ... But I think my mind was unwilling to accept the possibility ... It is Freakin' Canadian sable after all ...

The stone marten's I have seen that were of designer quality and were pelt-on-pelt. I believe the beauty of the fur would be lost if let out. They are just incredible furs.