Humour - We all love it really?

Guest furelli

Jus to differing degrees I guess

So, What makes you laugh then? Be it Cartoon, Stand up comedian, Comedy sketch, Film, TV Show or whatever really!!!!

Any Takers?

What makes me laff??

Where does one begin.... I could do a ToSser *grin* and spend the next three hours giving a well thought out and constructivve dissertation on the pros and cons of the varying forms of jocularity that appeal. But that's the trouble you see, too many little things that might slip by another's humour bone stike a jarring note on mine.

Sure, I like the classics (Abbot & Costello, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton) The Modern ( Stuart Little, Rich Little, Jamie Farr. okay he's a stretch *grin* Lano and Woodley) Jokes, Sitcoms, whatever... and sometimes even in the most serious movie there is the juxtaposition of something that appeals just for a split second and then loses all appeal.

Satire... damn.... this IS starting to look like summat ToS would write... so shall leave it there.

As far as media entertainment goes what makes me laugh out loud is;

Laurel and Hardy

Will Hay (with Grahame Moffatt & Moore Marriot)

Tom and Jerry (The original stuff produced by Fred Quimby)

What makes me laff??

Where does one begin.... I could do a ToSser *grin* and spend the next three hours giving a well thought out and constructivve dissertation on the pros and cons of the varying forms of jocularity that appeal. But that's the trouble you see, too many little things that might slip by another's humour bone stike a jarring note on mine.

Sure, I like the classics (Abbot & Costello, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton) The Modern ( Stuart Little, Rich Little, Jamie Farr. okay he's a stretch *grin* Lano and Woodley) Jokes, Sitcoms, whatever... and sometimes even in the most serious movie there is the juxtaposition of something that appeals just for a split second and then loses all appeal.

Satire... damn.... this IS starting to look like summat ToS would write... so shall leave it there.

How wrong have I got you?

Defo had you down as a Rodney Rude fan

I love all the Chuck Jones/Tex Avery animated cartoons!

Bugs & Daffy and all the rest. Not that sanitized kiddie Pablum-Puke you get on Saturday morning T.V.! I'm talking about the WW II vintage stuff that was shown in movie theaters before the feature!

Writers?

Ambrose Bierce

In particular The Devil's Dictionary

Roadrunner (Geococcyx californianus) & Wile E Coyote (Canis latrans) has to be my alltime Fav Toon, with "That's my Boy" Spike being a very close second from T&J days

With all today's PC it's a shame these classics are hardley seen any more

It depends on my mood. I remember watching South Park a couple of months ago with my sons and peeing myself I laughed so hard. (Maybe it was the herb . . .) I was channel surfing the other night and watched a little bit of it before I got bored out of my mind and I switched channels. Speaking of channels, The Comedy Channel has some awesome stand-up comedy. Sinbad did a gig there not long ago that was hilarious. Then the King of Stand-up, as far as I'm concerned - Seinfeld! How 'bout Monty Python? I tend to not like slap-stick comedy, with all due respect to Lucille Ball and some of the situations she got herself into on the old I Love Lucy shows. She's supposed to be the best of the best, but much of her comedy I just found to be . . . silly. Richard Pryor. Remember him? He'd turn the air blue with his obscenity, but the guy was unbelievable! Bill Cosby was the flip side of that coin. Robin Williams. The guy is a genius - a real sick puppy, but a genius. So is Billy Crystal. But you know what old TV show that I never got tired of, and still watch the reruns every time I get a chance? The Carol Burnett Show - with Tim Conway, Harvey Korman, Carol Lawrence - That was classic TV comedy!

ANIMAL HOUSE!!!!! Funniest movie ever made! And damn - now I remember that there are 3 fur scenes in it!!!!

FLinFL

Gotta' second "Monty Python" and "Animal House"!

I used to love George Carlin until he got all political.

"The Seven Dirty Words" was the greatest! Most of that sh** he spit out, now, just makes my stomach turn!

Blackadder anyone? Love that series. Father Ted also.. I need to see all of those classic ones though, Only Fools and Horses and so on.

Rodney Rude?? Yeah... in small doses *grin*

Now back to the TV.... Steptoe & Son, til Death Do Us Part, Porridge, Two Ronnies, The Frost Report, MPFC, The Goodies, Mother & Son, Kingswood Country, The Glass House, Spicks and Specs, My Names's McGooley, What's yours?, In Melbourne Tonight/Graham Kennedy Show, Welcome Back Kotter, Batman, David Letterman, The Tonight Show with John Stewart, SOAP!!!, Benson, The Mavis Bramston Show, Spin City, Scrubs, Arrested Development, .... that's all grey matter can think of at the moment.

I always loved the Abbot & Costello classic "Whose on 1st Base"

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/humor4.shtml

The 2 Ronnies did one a few years after which starts with the classic line

"Four Candles" It's more a visual gag but one of the best routines they did

http://www.angelfire.com/me/tvcomedy/fourcandles.html

As for TV series was a huge fan of programmes like Spitting Image, Yes Primeminister, New Statesman, Porridge, Blackadder (YES Dahling!!), Father Ted, The Young Ones, Sergeant Bilko (way ahead of it's time) & the best to last - Red Dwarf (until they added the chick!!).

Films would be too many too namedrop but if I had to pick a series I would have to go with Peter Sellers In the Pink Panther Films, Sellers was an absolute genius for me. I'm trying to buy up some of the "Goons" shows presently without much luck

A mixture of sharp wit (YES PM) to plain stupidity (Red Dwarf) appeals to me everytime. Have you also noticed that all our favs have been picked from our teens & younger years, guessing from people's ages? & I thought comedy unlike Music would span the ages?

Thanks, Mr B, for reminding me of "Til Death Us Do Part!" I had the great pleasure of being on the development team that brought that Johnny Speight BBC original to American television. We called it, "All In The Family." It still remains as one of all-time greatest situation comedies in the history of American TV, and I am proud to have had a part in developing it. Carrol O'Connor, Jean Stapleton, Sally Struthers and Rob Reiner were all perfect in their roles, and the writing for that show was sheer genius. Everything and everyone was fair game to Archie Bunker. It makes me think - What if that project had come along forty years later? With all of the political correctness today, with no one being able to say anything to anybody about anything without the fear of reprisal, this classic would have been doomed from the beginning. And the world would have lost out on true comedy!

BrGr you could be right as it would indeed be impossible to get it to the starting gates.

However, if it got there today... I think that such a tv character as Archie might well still be able to say anything. If he said less he could likely not do it. But since he was so far off, people will just seem to be ok with it.

W