Fur Video on YouTube

Worker 11811

Thought this one was good!

A rack full of furs is delivered to a woman in her hotel room then she comes out wearing nothing but a white fur stole!

No, Excalafur; it is Carroll Baker. Marilyn Monroe died in August 1962. "The Carpetbaggers" was filmed the following year, and released in April 1964. Carroll Baker's character, Rita Marlowe, is based on actress Jean Harlow. George Peppard's character, Jonas Cord, is based on industrialist Howard Hughes.

You're right on as regards the casting and characters. However the lady in the scene is not Carol Baker but Martha Hyer who played a relatively minor charactor.

Google-Fu is with me, today...

Martha Heyer:

Caroll Baker:

These photos have now been put in the gallery.

Indeed it is! Mea maxima culpa!! She was a lot mousier looking in "The Sons of Katie Elder" the following year. She is still alive, at age 85, too. Carroll Baker is a mere pup, having turned 79 late last month. According to the "Celebrity Sleuth" measurements listed at the IMDB, the young Miss Hyer had an even better figure, back in the day, than did Miss Baker, who was the one typecast as a sex symbol!

I wonder why she did not look quite as good in "The Sons of Katie Elder"? Interesting the two films were so close. I would never have guessed.

J

I wonder why she did not look quite as good in "The Sons of Katie Elder"? Interesting the two films were so close. I would never have guessed.

J

IMHO, a combination of a couple of things, WF - Make-up (or the lack thereof) and talent. Make up can make a very average-looking woman look very, very pretty. Certainly all of us have seen the "before and after" pictures of the stars, with and without make-up. Oftentimes, it looks like two different people. Make-up can also make someone look older, sick, tired or downright ghoulish; e.g., dark shadowing under the eyes can give the appearance of a person who's been "rode hard and put away wet." Something else that plays a very important part for the sex siren is that sex appeal is as much attitude as looks. I've known very lovely women who are very insecure and hold themselves in low esteem who just cannot pull off being sexy no matter how hard they try. I have no idea what Ms Heyer was like in her personal life, but as an actress she exuded remarkable self-confidence, independence and sexual savvy. Combine that with the furs, and WOW - ! Sexual napalm!

Miss Hyer did not look bad in "The Sons of Katie Elder"-- but she was playing a frontier woman in the Wild West; so, sex appeal was not what Henry Hathaway was looking for from her. Despite the fur scenes, "The Carpetbagers" is not a film that I am partial to myself. "The Sons of Katie Elder" I have loved since I first saw it on television in the late 1960s, when I was still a fan of westerns in general-- as well as a big fan of Dean Martin, both as an actor, a television host ("The Dean Martin Show" on NBC), and, especially, as a crooner.