Encouraging Words

JGalanos

http://www.cleveland.com/style/index.ssf/2010/06/furs_resurgence_says_its_ok_to.html

Fur's resurgence says it's OK to look rich

Published: Tuesday, June 01, 2010, 2:06 PM

By Marylou Luther

Dear Marylou: How do you explain the resurgence of fur on the runways? Do you believe women will really buy these furs? -- A.O., Denver

Dear A.O.: Whether they risk getting pelted for wearing pelts remains to be seen, but I think women will, indeed, wear furs come fall. Probably the best bets in fur usage will be as a scarf (ocelot will be worn a lot if designers have their way) or hood (Isaac Mizrahi's fox-trimmed hoods and backpacks look like sure winners).

My explanation of the new fur furtherance is that it's all part of fashion's message that it's all right to look rich again. From Gucci's neoprene jacket with knitted mink lining to Missoni's patchwork blouson of marmot and beaver, to the inlaid furs at Marni and Fendi, furs were flying on the runways. Fur vests, fur jackets, fur dresses, fur skirts, fur blouses, fur pants, fur coats, fur gloves, fur leggings, fur boots, fur booties and fur shoes were major. Pelts ranged from coyote and Finn raccoon to fox, Mongolian lamb, mink (both let-out and sheared), broadtail, goat and sable. Sonia Rykiel's oversized Mongolian lamb coat illustrated here looks especially appropriate for your weather.

It's such a short article, why don't we just quote it in the message? That way, if the remote site takes the page down we still have the original information to reference.

(I added the quote for you. )

It's an excellent article!

The only thing I take exception to is the line "Whether they risk getting pelted for wearing pelts remains to be seen..."

For the record, I believe being harassed for wearing fur is an exceedingly rare event. I have never seen anybody make so much as a rude comment to somebody wearing fur.

I think it's irresponsible for journalists to say things like that because it perpetuates the myth.

Now... back to the article...

I like where she mentions that scarves and trims will be fashionable this coming season.

I can only hope...

Scarves and trims make great "gateway drugs!"

I believe being harassed for wearing fur is an exceedingly rare event. I have never seen anybody make so much as a rude comment to somebody wearing fur.

In general I agree. But it does happen to varying degrees. I remember about 5 years ago I stopped for gas at a convenience store in Lake County Illinois (north of Chicago) and went inside wearing my Finn Raccoon coat. The clerk, an older man, noticed my coat and asked what it was. After I told him he asked me "It's not real, is it?" When I told him it was he shook his head and asked me "Don't you know you're not supposed to wear real fur?" Not exactly being spattered with red paint ... But a little rude nonetheless. Given I was on my way to an appointment and did not have time to argue with him I just gave him the evil eye and departed.

In the past two or three years I have also stumbled across anti-fur protestors patrolling the sidewalks outside Michigan Avenue stores selling fur or fur trimmed garments (Burberry, Macy's, etc.). When I passed them the first two occasions wearing mink nothing was said but when I passed them the third occasion I was wearing coyote (hard to miss!) and one of them pointed out to the group loudly that I was wearing fur (in the tone of voice one would use with the phrase "Catch him - He took her purse!"). Fortunately, I was able to escape inside fur friendly Macy's before anything else was said (at least within my hearing distance).

So, based on my experience harrassment is not common, but it can happen.

When I first started wearing furs regularly, I expected to hear a lot of negative comments about it and even a confrontation or two. Never happened except once when I heard a student on the campus shout "Look! He's wearing the skin of an animal!" Yeah, that's a fact.

I let it go. I no longer try to chase down all the people who say things I don't like, with one exception. The response to my wearing fur is generally "no comment" or something positive. The hostess at the local clam shack I frequent in the winter is on the lookout for me and always has a good word to say.

Oh! the exception.... You better not say in my presence that you hope the Yankees beat the Red Sox.

After I told him he asked me "It's not real, is it?" When I told him it was he shook his head and asked me "Don't you know you're not supposed to wear real fur?"

People have made comments in that vein on other subjects and I have been around when people made anti-fur remarks to others but I, personally, have never heard them spoken to me or my wife. My standard answer for any situation like this would be, "The last time I checked, we still lived in a free country."

It sounds like those people in the store were "knee-jerking" their opinions and not expressing what THEY think. The phrase, "Don't you know you're not supposed to..." seems to me that they are expressing what they think other people believe. Even if that's not exactly what they were thinking, it's still a passive comment. It shows, to me, that somebody isn't thinking for themselves.

I like JG's article because it shows that this, "Don't you know you're not supposed to..." passive, non-thinking, knee-jerk attitude is starting to wear off and that people are beginning to decide for themselves what to wear.

"It's not real, is it?"

This is one of my favorites. Even synthetic or faux fur is "real"!

My $0.02.

J

PS I guess I'm slow, I'm not exactly sure how to insert a quote...

(Edit: Added quote tags. - Worker11811)

To make a part of your message text into a quote, all you have to do is type the tag [quóte] in front of it and the tag [/quóte] at the end of the text you want quoted.

If you forget how to type the tags (I often do) you can simply select the text of your message that you want to quote and click the {QUOTE} button above the text edit box. Up there ^^^.

I've received negative comments about my furs from animal rights wackos before, but I just laugh it off. They're unbelievably stupid

That is the best thing to do.

Regardless of the reason, if somebody hassles you in public, the best thing to do is ignore them.

If they follow you, give them a warning to get away from you. If they do not listen to your warning, you are free to take whatever legal means of self defense are necessary to protect yourself.

It doesn't matter whether it's because you wear fur or just because the person doesn't like the color of your shirt. Do not provoke them. Do not react unless you are forced to.

But, if the other person starts a fight, don't be afraid to finish it.