A quiz again

White Fox

I am hoping my information is correct on this. I believe it is.

We often see that black walk in door at the home of the British Prime Minister in news interviews, etc. I may be wrong but it seems to me that it used to be red at one time. Just today all the world's news papers have pictures of it in videos, etc with word of their new Prime Minister. Very plain and ugly entry really.

OK. That door. Not it's location or anything like that. The actual door itself. There is something VERY unusual about it. Does anyone here know what that unusual thing about it is?

I am sure that our British Friends can confirm this. Let's restrict this for say 24 hours to those NOT from the British Isles. Then, after a day please feel free to answer the question.

W

I have no idea, but two things came to mind and I'll try these:

- It opens "the other way" compared to other British doors?

- It has no post thingy on it (the slit in the door where the grumpy old postman shuffles down all the commercial and gas bills)

While I am not sure exactly what the answer is to WF's quiz, I do know that Aldhissa is mistaken in one comment:

- It has no post thingy on it (the slit in the door where the grumpy old postman shuffles down all the commercial and gas bills)
There is a polished brass letterbox on the door with the inscription "First Lord of the Treasury".

No, those are not the answer.

I'll give a hint. Not sure if you can find a photo of it on the net. If you can, imagine yourself going inside.

One thing here. I notice the door has been changed. This certainly applied to the old red door. 100% certain. I believe that it does to the new black one too though I may find out it does not. But the old door was certainly this way.

By the way, British folks feel free to join in now and let us know the answer.

W

The doorknob is in the middle of the door.

Which is not so strange to me because I know of other doors where the knob is in the middle.

It's actually nice because, if you have one hand loaded full of groceries, you don't have to shift around to open the door with your other hand.

OK smart guy you got it. Or more or less.

Actually I don't know what that is. But supposedly at least it is NOT a door knob as we know it. Supposedly there is NO door knob on the outside if people have told me correctly. (soldiers). The door is always opened from the inside. It cannot be opened from the outside.

Now then, I seem to notice something that looks like a fancy security keyed lock from the outside on the new door.

I think that knob in the middle is actually some sort of bell that you turn the knob and a bell rings probably or something like that.

W