We Missed Another Anniversary ...

JGalanos

It's been over a year since a post has been made in the Chat thread above.

I must admit I'm a slacker ... I've only tried to access chat once in the past year or so and failed on that attempt. But I must also admit back when chat was more active I had several enjoyable conversations with Denizens (WhiteFox, Worker, and others). Hopefully when next season approaches, we'll see more activity in this area.

The chat room does get activity but it is usually less than 1% of the Fur Den's total activity in a one month period. Compare that to the picture gallery at 25% to 30% of the Den's monthly activity.

I think that part of the problem is due to the "Time Zone Factor."

Everybody lives in such widely separated parts of the world, in different time zones, that it is hard to meet up in the chat room. We all wake up and go to sleep at different times. Very few of us are awake at the same time so that we can go in the chat room unless some of us log in at odd hours of the night.

That makes it hard to get a routine going.

For the record, I live in the Eastern North America time zone. That's UTC -5 hours. (Five hours behind Greenwich Mean Time.)

For the record, I live in the Eastern North America time zone. That's UTC -5 hours. (Five hours behind Greenwich Mean Time.)

Err ... Methinks that makes me UTC - 6 hours.

It's been over a year since a post has been made in the Chat thread above.

I think your comment is incorrect. The chat scheduling forum is automatically and regularly purged of old topics. Chat scheduling topics are time sensitive and as such are not worth keeping more than a week.

I think your comment is incorrect. The chat scheduling forum is automatically and regularly purged of old topics. Chat scheduling topics are time sensitive and as such are not worth keeping more than a week.

Hopefully that is the case.

Comment was based upon personal experience. I visit the Pub on an almost daily basis and cannot recall seeing a chat posting there in a very long time.

Remember that thread is for members to use and not just staff here.

If any members want to use Chat, just post a message in there and see if someone turns up. I've often just posted a message "Going to Chat" and had someone show up within an hour.

One thing though. You should just post a period or something such in chat every few minutes, as if you post nothing, sometimes it well not work properly if you sit not using it for a long period of time.

W

JG before you joined us (gosh that has been a while now!) I remember trying chat a couple of times - that was several years ago.

I found it very difficult to communicate. I had pop-ups with side comments from others in chat hard to multi-task. The way I remember it, the conversation rolls quickly and then it disappears for privacy reasons. The posts kind of overlapped and were disjointed due to the delay in typing and conversation.

It was nice that someone coming in was announced and can only see the new info. (That way I could say all kinds of sexy things about White Fox and he never knew!! )

Probably instant messaging would work better for me. But, I almost never use it. In fact the last time I did, I screwed it up and offended poor Uncle Joe! Felt really bad.

Has anyone considered doing Skype? I haven't personally used but have watched friends in Costa Rica use it communicate with friends here who were watching their house. Kind of neat. Can more than two people be on Skype at one time?

White Fox that is something we should do. That would get around the International phone charges and we could actually talk. When are you coming to Florida again?

Skype is great for avoiding long distance charges on a person-to-person call. I believe conference calls are possible when pre-arranged among the participants - need to check on that.

Chat is usually easier to use as participants do not need anything other than a browser that supports javascript.

I use chat by times, but AK is the one to ask about things like that. I've always thought of trying Skype.

Florida. Was hoping to get there on a business trip soon. But think that has fallen through. You never know with us. You know the business!

J

Skype can do conference calls, but if the conference was not pre-arranged, you have no idea who is available to connect with. Also as you need a person's Skype ID in order to make a call, that can lead to privacy concerns due to the need to first publish the IDs of those willing to chat via Skype.

Chat is not only simplier, but it allows you to login and wait for other members to enter the chat room.

While Skype is great for voice and possibly video calls with your friends, I think the shy nature of many of our members is better served by text chat which allows for a higher degree of anonymity.

If any members wish to connect via Skype, go for it. But I think text chat is the better method for most of us.

As the Skype service is totally & completely independent of the Fur Den, the Den's only possible involvement would be as a place to publish Skype IDs and arrange connect times of those Den members willing to chat via Skype. Members who publish their Skype IDs on this website agree to totally absolve the Fur Den of any responsibility for any consequences that might be incurred by those using the Fur Den website to arrange Skype calls.

Doubt many would want to do it anyway. White Fox I was going to model that fur for you that you requested! Damn, guess that will just have to wait!!!

White Fox I was going to model that fur for you that you requested! Damn, guess that will just have to wait!!!

My "new" post disappeared as described above.

However, as mentioned previously, I visit the Pub on almost a daily basis and I think I would have seen any Chat posts (I confirmed they show up as new Pub posts on the main screen). I have not seen a Chat post since before WF's reply to my April '09 post about lack of traffic in the Chat area. So I'm inclined to think my "Anniversary" post was correct.

I'm guessing Worker's "less than 1% of activity" comment is related to folks pressing the "Chat" button and entering Chat and 9 times outta 10 finding no one there. I've never found anyone in Chat except when I entered Chat following a "Chat @ XX:XX" post.

I've been extremely busy lately and will be for probably a month at least. I'll try to make chat some time. But not sure when. However, anyone can post a message in the little chat scheduling forum, and others who see it can join you.

Just remember while you are sitting to refresh it once in awhile by maybe typing a period, and pressing enter. The program seems to need that.