Fur in Theater

JGalanos

Went to see Sondheim's Into The Woods over the weekend. Over the course of the musical, Red Riding Hood's cape changes from Red Wool to Wolf Fur upon the killing of the Big Bad Wolf.

The Wolf Cape used in this production was stunning. I could not take my eyes off of it. I could not decide if it was real or faux (it looked real but it appeared so light weight that I wonderd if it was high end faux instead) ... And was so mesmerized I felt compelled to contact the costume designer (a first for me!) who confirmed that the cape was real wolf.

The costume designer used one of the online hide/pelt suppliers and used (to my eyes from the front row) an extraordinary pelt to construct the cape (it was a very dense, full fur with more gray than black and very long guard hairs). I want a floor length coat made from a similar bundle!

Given that for years many theaters felt compelled to use faux furs on the stage, I found this decision to use the real thing heartening (and visually exciting!).

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Thought of this (little viewed!) post this evening. It is still cold here. Wore my faux coyote jacket today and my faux sable coat this evening. I had not worn my faux sable coat in years (it competes for my attention with the eight full length furs in my closet). I had forgotten how wonderful the coat is. The coat was my first (faux) fur purchase, custom made for me 14 years ago (!) and it still looks incredible - A rich brown color that from a distance could easily be mistaken for sable or mahogany mink (the is-it-or-isn't-it phenomenon referenced above). It has three hook and eye closures, turn back cuffs, and an oversized shawl collar (which when turned up as it was this evening covers my ears and the back of my head). Now that we've become reacquainted, methinks the coat will be making regular appearances this fall.

There was no fur at the opera this time. It was the last opera of the season. I'm sure most people have their furs in storage for the season already. We're going to have to wait until next season to see more furs.

Next season the Met is going to do Rheingold and the Valkurie so I'll be looking forward to those but it will seem like forever until we can see more "opera fur" again.

There was no fur at the opera this time. It was the last opera of the season.

I had season tickets to the opera, symphony, and two theaters this past season. I managed to wear something furry to every performance (seasons ran from October to April) - From my ranch mink scarf on a relatively warm November (!) evening to my crystal fox and silver fox coats on frigid January and February (and once in late March!) evenings.

Next season, I've subscribed to the symphony and multiple theaters (freakin' opera is just too expensive ... it really is becoming entertainment for the elite unless you don't mind sitting in the nose bleed section) ... Seasons will run from September to April so thinking the above mentioned "sable" coat (which looks almost brand new at 14 - faux fur wears incredibly well if treated with TLC)will likely make its season debut in late September. I find faux fur comfortable at temps ~50 F or below (especially if there's wind) ... I don't break out the fur jackets until temps are ~40 F or below.

People love my faux furs. Many people assume they are real (which I can understand with the faux chinchilla, faux ranch mink, and faux sable ... but given the color the faux coyote looks more 'fun" than "real" to me - the texture is incredible with unusually long "guard hairs"). Yesterday in faux coyote (in May!) I received several compliments (and one relatively benign comment that I overheard in a restaurant that I must be from "Up North").

Edited by Guest

Check out the Met Opera's "Live in HD" series broadcast live from New York via satellite. Many movie theaters across the country are showing the programs. It's a whole lot cheaper than going to NYC.

Most commercial theaters like AMC and Cinemark are showing the Met Opera but, if you look around, you can find an independent theater that carries the program, too. I would vote for going to an independent if you can. I think the experience is better and I also think you'll see more furs at an independent.

Check out the Met Opera's "Live in HD" series broadcast live from New York via satellite. Many movie theaters across the country are showing the programs. It's a whole lot cheaper than going to NYC.

I'll check that out. I'm assuming it's cheaper than going to the opera in Chicago as well. Good seats are over $140/each.

I'm assuming it's cheaper than going to the opera in Chicago as well.

Researched and found price of $22 ... Way less than Lyric but ~double the cost of a movie. May have to give it a try.

The Met puts on a good production even if it is via satellite.

They have interviews with the performers backstage, during the intermission breaks, and they show live shots of the stage during scene changes. They've got something like 20 cameras all around the theater. There are, I think 10 robotic cameras and 10 roving Steadicams.

It is s full-fledged television production, not just a camera shot of the stage. You get close-ups of the actors during the solos and you get wide shots of the audience before and after the performance begins.

You could say that it is the next best thing to being there but, because of all the extras they put in, it might even be BETTER than being there. If you were in the audience at the Met you couldn't see the backstage shots, etc.

Tickets in the main orchestra section at the Met are more than $300 for seats in the back and, IRRC, almost $500 for font row or private boxes. 4th level balcony seats, the "nosebleed" seats are $100 each!

I think my theater charges $15 for adults and $10 for students/seniors. Even at $20 it's probably worth it if you like opera. After all, it is THE MET!