Tech. question re: mp3 player

Fox

I was given a Creative Zen Micro for Christmas and unfortunately it is not recognized by the software that it comes with nor Windows Media Player (v 10), but I think I may know why, but I don't know how to get around it. I have a bootlegged version of Windows XP and with it, I'm not able to download SP2 (I don't have a "valid product registration code"). Any ideas? Any help on this would be awesome! Thanks.

Fox

Can you expand a little on what you're trying to do, and what problems you have? For instance:

1) when you connect the player, is the hardware recognised as an external drive that you can see in Windows Explorer?

2) can you see the files on it via Explorer (assuming there are any)?

3) what format are you using for the files?

4) are you trying to put music on it, or to play music from it?

etc...

When I connect it to my laptop, it's recognized as an external drive, but the software itself does not recognize the drive. It doesn't even notice it's there. Although oddly enough, it has a setting such that I can partition the drive so that I can use it essentially as a jump drive and when I do that, I can see the files on it, but I can't load any music onto it (as an mp3 player) to play 'cause the software doesn't recognize it.

Does this fix the problem?

(Edit - removed broken link)

(NB. for some reason clicking on the link doesn't work, nor does dragging it. Copy and paste does though)

Edited by Guest

Can't get the link to work. Tried copy and paste, tried dragging, even tried IE. But still no dice. And tried it with and without the last numbers in the parentheses.

Hmm, curious. It doesn't work for me now either Anyway, here's what it says:

MP3 player not detected in Windows Media Player 10 or Creative Media Explorer

PlaysForSure devices such as Creative Zen Micro, Zen Vision or others are properly detected, and reported "working properly" in Device Manager, however, Windows Media Player, Creative Media Explorer, or other PlaysForSure compatible applications fail to detect these devices. Windows Media Player reports an error code "C00D1179". Consequently any attempt to transfer files would fail.

To resolve this issue, it is necessary to modify a registry entry.

Important:

It is strongly recommended that you back up your system registry before making any changes. Making any changes to the system registry other than the specific ones listed can cause system instability and may require the OS to be reinstalled to fix.

Please note that changing registry permission rights has inherent risks, especially if it is not done properly.

For a detailed procedure on how to back up, and restore the system registry or a subkey of the registry, please refer to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322756.

Back Up the System Registry

1. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then Backup.

The Backup utility is not installed with Windows XP Home edition. For information about how to install the Backup utility for Windows XP Home Edition, please refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302894/EN-US/) HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition

2. Click the Advanced Mode button in the Backup Utility Wizard.

3. Click the Backup tab, and select check box for any drive, folder, or file that you want to back up, select the System State check box. This will back up the System State data along with any other data you have selected for the current backup

Editing the System Registry

1. Select Start - Run and type regedit to open the Registry Editor.

2. Click on the plus sign (+) next to My Computer to expand it. Continue to expand the following entries: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\USB

3. Right click on USB, and select Permissions.

4. If the Everyone entry is missing from the "Group or user names". You will need to add it.

5. Click on the Add button, key in "Everyone" into the "Enter the object names to select" dialog and click on the "OK" button

6. Select the "Everyone" on the "Group or user names" section, and then check the "Allow" box for "Read" for the "Permissions for Everyone".

7. Click on the OK button.

If the difficulty persists, download and install the latest Windows Media updates, and reload the firmware for your player. For detailed instructions, please refer to the procedures outlined in the article " Error "Firmware Problem" After a Failed MTP Firmware Update".

For more information about troubleshooting Windows Media Player 10, please refer to Microsoft KB 843509 "Frequently asked questions about how to troubleshoot issues in Windows Media Player"

If your player is not detected at all in Windows device manager, make sure that you have downloaded and installed the Windows XP Service pack 2. You can also try a different USB cable and USB port.

If you are using Windows 2000, Windows ME or Windows 98SE, please refer to Installing MTP device under Windows 2000, Windows ME or Windows 98SE

Yeah, I tried all of that previously, and nothing came of it. But I think the incompatility has something to do with my inability to download SP2. But Tryxie may have a solution for me.

Fox perhaps you should try player and software on another PC if you have chance.

Possibly your version of Windows is not only bootleg but damaged.

I can

When you downloaded the latest firmware for the player, did you update the applications too? Specifically, if you're using the 'PlaysForSure' driver you'd want:

Creative MediaSource Plugin for PlaysForSure devices (version 1.00.18)

and maybe:

Creative Zen Micro Media Explorer Web Update

silverfox,

I'm not sure what exactly you're getting at when you say "that 30 day thing" about the release.

I did do it all in the exact order as instructed (the instruction manual insn't long, so it's kinda' hard to screw it up ).

bob,

I'll check to see if I donwloaded the applications, but if I remember correctly, even though my laptop recognizes new hardware when I plug it in, it won't allow communication with the mp3 player.

Sorry fox not the right term - not release but activation

If you remember , at the end of installing process of Windows you get an awful long Activation Code.

With this code you can ACTIVATE your Windows via phone or online - if you do not activate your windows will be blocked after 30 days, you will even not be able to boot!

The ACTIVATION Code is NOT personal - no user data are transferred.

With the REGISTRATION you can register your Windows to your name - that is optional. You should take into account that your PC can be tracked then!

The thing with activation code is a bit funny.

When you confirm this code Windows mostly prompts that it is not valid

But you will get a new code if you phone MS.....mostly....if the activation code on your CD was used more than five times you get nothing

Btw most Windows versions you are offered as bargain or by sharing are used way too often.

If you buy a new PC with Windows you often get a pre-installed Windows and a new Windows CD. As that pre-installations are done with the dealers Windows version you can mostly start your new PC WITHOUT ACTIVATION - you would need the CD only after essential hardware changes or a serious system crash.

The best way to get a "free" Windows might be:

You get one of that (retail) CD that was or will surely be used never or only one time. (Ask friends or relatives)

It might even be an older one without SP2 (SP1 is a mandatory)

It even may be a bootable copy of that CD.

You will have to ERASE ANY SYSTEM FILE of bootleg versions from your HD before you install that CD !

Once you activated you will be able to download SP2 from MS or any faster server