A fur swan song for this season

grouchomg

It's not so warm here yet that wearing fur outside is out of the question. I just spent about a half hour or so outside in the moderately chill night air enjoying a long coyote fur and listening to the sounds of the night. Here, in North-By-East, the peepers are sounding off loudly, blessing the night with their chorus. Listening while enwrapped in fur seemed quite appropriate.

I wear furs - as much as I can - in all seasons until it is time to take them off to the furrier for cleaning, glazing, and storage. Alas, that time is approaching soon.

It has turned colder here - I wore my ranch mink jacket to dinner last night and plan to wear either my crystal fox or silver fox coat this evening for its "season finale" ... One more outing before it goes into the cooler this weekend.

plan to wear either my crystal fox or silver fox coat this evening for its "season finale"

Wow - What a difference a few hours can make. We had a snowstorm beginning around 8:00 p.m. that continues to rage this morning. I saw cars with ~5" of snow on them en route to work. Everything is white -- Given that the snow melted several weeks ago it looks like someone took a paintbrush and created a winter fantasy overnight.

I wound up wearing my coyote coat last night and given the huge snow flakes flying around this morning opted to wear my (more water resistant) faux fur parka today. If the snow stops falling I'll probably wear fox tonight!

Times like this is when I feel badly for those of you who are into fur only as a fashion and something to wear to keep you warm. [No, really, I do! I know how it feels to retire my favorite (fashion) furs for the hot summer months - to not even be able to see them!] For the fur fetishist, there are no seasons. Our only concern when the weather becomes warm is how low we dare to turn our thermostats before we put our air conditioning systems in danger of breaking down. It was 85 degrees here in western Pennsyltucky yesterday, yet I was quite comfortable in my fox cocoon last night. The house was a cool 58 degrees. Had a lot of fun before I fell asleep and then I slept like a baby!

....there is something of a compromise here too. I never send all my furs off for storage. I keep a bunch - rabbit jacket, mink coat, lots of fox boas - around the house for 'play' year-round. My really nice raccoon and red fox will be sorely missed for the next 6 months.

FLinFL

I put all of my furs in storage out of season (to ensure their longevity). Mid May through mid October you'll often find me snuggled under a faux ranch mink or faux sable throw while reading or watching TV (I tend to keep the temp around 68 - 70). I've also been known to sport a faux fur jacket during the cooler months of May and September.

I know how it feels to retire my favorite (fashion) furs for the hot summer months - to not even be able to see them!]

This does suck.

I put some of my furs in storage yesterday. Fortunately, it turned colder here last week and I was able to wear each of the ones stored one final time before their summer vacation. I took my foxes for a final stroll last week and stopped each night under a street light to appreciate the warmth/luxury and admire the rich color/fine design of the garments. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same for each of the remaining furs. I"m planning to wear my Finn Raccoon coat tonight.

So far I have managed to wear each stored fur one final time before I put it into storage for the summer. Ma Nature continues to cooperate. I'll be heading out for a final stroll in my fisher coat tonight and I plan to wear my mahogany mink jacket to the theater tomorrow night. 6 of 10 furs will have been worn mere days before they were sent to the Big Fridge. Time will tell if I manage to wear the remaining coats before the spring temps permanently rise.

Parting tis such sweet sorrow ...

The weather has been cooperative ... Yesterday was a 3 fur day (if you include the faux fur parka, which the sales associate did yesterday when she asked if I planned to store the "fur" I was wearing as well!). I wore my faux fur parka (which I must admit does look remarkably like chinchilla color rex rabbit) in the morning to breakfast, the furrier, and a store. I switched to my mahogany mink jacket in the afternoon and wore it to another store, dinner, and the theater. Then I took a stroll in my fisher coat before settling in fur the evening. All but two of the items I'm storing this season have enjoyed a "final wearing". With frost forecasted tonight ... I think I can reduce the number to one. ; ) Hopefully others have had opportunities to wear their furs as the season wanes.

Alas! My furs are off to the furrier as well for cleaning and storage, one for minor repair.

Well, almost all are at the furrier. I keep two at home for "stuff".

Went for a stroll this evening in my full length ranch mink coat. Pleasantly surprised that it's still cold enough for real fur the third week of April. I really like my mink coat. I bought it used. It's double breasted and almost ankle length. After I had it for a season or two I got a wild hair and decided to jazz it up a bit. I had a Blackglama belt and loops and a Blackglama beret made. The coat is regular ranch mink but I had always wanted something Blackglama so opted to "upgrade" the accessories. The belt is great - When it's not tied it's almost as long as the coat. The belt and beret match the coat well ... The Blackglama nap is a little shorter and denser than the ranch mink nap of the coat but I like the minor contrast.

I think that I really am done wearing fur outside in the yard for the season. Ticks. I keep a couple of furs at home during the summer, and I don't want the little critters making a home in my coats.

I will still where furs around the house and out on the deck on chilly nights, however, until the BIG fur season returns in the fall.