NY Times: Fashion Feels Fur’s Warm Embrace

FurLoverinFL

I noticed the mention in the slideshow that young designers, sometimes even mere students in fashion school were offered fur samples from furriers to use for their designs. Lucky fashion students!

I used to be interested in going into fashion but then I meandered over to the art school route because I think making art is more for me. I could always collaborate with some fashion label for shirts or footwear featuring my art on them! (Not so sure how modern pop/street art would look on a fur, so I don't see any collaborations with a furrier, maybe I could trade a painting for a fur coat though, or do some designs for an pro-fur advertising campaign?)

I think art school was a better move!

I think there are transferable skills in being an art design student that do not necessarily transfer the other way.

In other words, you can apply your knowledge of art to fashion design but it is not as easy to transfer fashion design to the art world.

I also think that as a career decision, art is a better move. Just like you say, I think you can do more for fur as a commercial artist than you can as a clothing designer. After all, fashion designers make their clothing designs, have them photographed and pass them off to who?... A graphic designer. It is he artist who presents the fashion designers work to the world!

Besides, as a clothing designer, you might be able to work with furs from one company at a time but, as an artist, you might be able to see images of people wearing fur from MANY sources!

I liked this line in the article:

. . . fashion designers in New York were showing fall collections with so much fur that they seemed to collectively stick a thumb in the eye of political correctness. Did the designers forget that wearing fur is fraught with controversy? Or did they simply stop caring?