Russian Raccoon

JGalanos

Back in the good ol' fur days there seemed to be a wider variety of furs available than there are today. For example, tanuki, Finnish raccoon, and Russian raccoon used to be distinctive (and distinguishable) furs in the 70's and 80's. You never hear of Russian raccoon any more and tanuki and Finn raccoon seem to have become redundant in most furrier's nomenclature. Just curious ... Is Russian raccoon still available in some part(s) of the world? I always liked the look of it.

http://www.sojuzpushnina.ru/en/c/70/

Raccoon

The area inhabited by this animal spreads to the Caucuses, Middle Asian and far-eastern parts of Russia. The Raccoon-.washer. was brought to Russia from North America in the mid 30s. This animal received such a name because of its habit of washing its prey thoroughly in water.

A raccoon.s body-length can reach up to 25-46 cm and tail-length to 20-25 cm. It has thick fur with soft brownish-black down, darker on the back and sides and lighter on the lower part of the body.

The raccoon is omnivorous. It can obtain food not only from the ground, but also from trees. It usually lives on insects and frogs, more seldom on lizards, mollusks, crayfish, turtles, rodents and snakes. Its vegetarian diet includes: berries, acorns, nuts, fruits, barley and corn.

The raccoon.s annual litter is 3-4 cubs, which the female conceives 63 days after the breeding period. At the age of three months the raccoon cubs are already adapted to independent life, which lasts for 10-12 years.

Tricia

Perhaps the North American raccoon, living in Siberia, grows a possibly thicker coat than his North American relatives due to the different habitat and colder temperatures. Not sure if the different habitat would trigger a change in coloration.

Tricia

Perhaps the North American raccoon, living in Siberia, grows a possibly thicker coat than his North American relatives due to the different habitat and colder temperatures. Not sure if the different habitat would trigger a change in coloration.

From what I recall, with Russian raccoon the color is different and the guard hairs are longer than their North American cousins. I always thought it looked kinda exotic ... And fun.

tanuki and finn raccoon are not redundant. i don't find them particularly confusing. you don't see much of it here in the u.s. this year because of the whole raccoon dog thing. pisses me off. it makes a good trim and i love the coats.

for me asiatic and finn raccoon can be easily confused, but tanuki had a much more obvious pattern. finn raccoon also has a distinctive tipping you do not see in asiatic raccoon.