Guideline for discussion

Fox

Disclaimer - Members are reminded that this is a multi-cultural site and as such should be tolerant of and acknowledge at all times the religious, cultural, sexual, political and racial differences that will be presented within.

-Mods of the off topic forum

Edited by Guest

I've been thinking about this whole thing, lately.

Maybe some have noticed. I tend to "shoot from the hip" when I talk. (Or type.) I try to think things through before I speak but, often, things slip out that I later regret.

It's not intentional. I do try to keep it from happening, too much.

I would just like to put it out in the open that, if somebody takes exception to something I say, either privately or in the clear, I'm sorry about it.

Honest criticism is always accepted. Appreciated, even.

Let me know and I'll try to do better next time.

Worker -

The beautiful thing about being a member of thefurden.com is that anything you say (unlike the real world) you have the power to go back andedit, should any of us put a foot in our mouths.

- Foxy

Worker;

Comprehending that situation is the greatest value of all.

Many don't grasp that and i think that is, in fact, what the "Disclaimer" comment is all aboput.

OFF

My problem is not in knowing it but in putting it into practice.

I don't know how many times each day I give myself that proverbial slap on the head after I realize I just let loose with another zinger.

Furelli: Nope, you can still have shots at folks.... but just remember that some folks aren't always on the same wavelength as the transmitter and find ways to get the point through that what is being said is being said with tongue planted firmly in one's cheek..

Others: Somethimes the firer of shots is on the outside looking in.... and sees things differently as not all the same info is delivered in the same manner.

It basically falls down to the following..... you can always preview your reply/post. It is not a race to see who can post the most often, nor the more biting.

Without opening old wounds from here or Melody, let's just say that there are times when most of us should have reviewed what was posted and then sat back and had a stiff drink before hitting the post button.

see?? I just deleted a line cause it could have caused offense. *grin*

This is not an attempt to halt piss taking or debate. Just a reminder for both reader and piss taker that we are not all tarred with the same brush, nor do we all see things from the same perspective.

Queenslanders don't always see things the same as New South Welshmen or Victorians... and I am sure that the same applies to Liverpudlians and Londoners and the US East Coast, The "Bible Belt" and the West Coast. So even within Nations, views will differ.

When it comes to Nations, of course views will differ. That is what gives this forum it raison d'etre, a place where fur lovers from around the planet can see and learn about fellow members and what makes them tick.

By our nature, toes will be trod upon, BUT sometimes the best reaction is to bite your tongue and have a swig of the local brew before putting finger to keyboard.

By our nature, toes will be trod upon...

Somebody once told me about the 10-10-80 rule:

10% of the people in the world will always like you, no matter how bad you are.

10% of the people in the world will always hate you, no matter how good you are.

The other 80% couldn't give a flyin' frogleap, one way or the other.

In other words, you can't be all things to all people.

However, there are a couple things I regret.

I don't know if I unwittingly hurt some people but I'm pretty certain that I have left a bad taste in their mouth, so to speak. If that is the case, I'm sorry. I'm not sure they are the kind of people who would vocalize their concerns and I debate the wisdom of approaching with a direct apology. It might make matters worse.

So, basically, I'll just have to live with it and try not to do it again.

Furelli: Nope, you can still have shots at folks.... but just remember that some folks aren't always on the same wavelength as the transmitter and find ways to get the point through that what is being said is being said with tongue planted firmly in one's cheek..

Ohhhhh I'm so sitting on my hands here!!!!

I think what furelli is pointing out is that our culture is in danger of being opressed if we cant take the piss. Thats what we do! To each other,

to ourselves, and others. NONE of it is intentionally offensive.

I think what furelli is pointing out is that our culture is in danger of being opressed if we cant take the piss. Thats what we do! To each other,

to ourselves, and others. NONE of it is intentionally offensive.

Ahhhhh but what we're being told is that we have to cater for such sensitivity & second guess "eveyone's" morale code & conduct otherwise their'll be consequences

Hey-Ho

I found this on a forum today. Thought you might find it interesting:

NOTE: THIS IS FROM ANOTHER FORUM> NOT THE FUR DEN

THE "SAFE ZONES"

1)"Safe zone

• 3 weeks later...

I am fine with no "ists". As long as there is no 'positive discrimination' ie it is all right to call a man a w*nker but not a women.

This reminds me of another little story which demonstrates my point. I was working with a woman who was very politically correct. I purposely referred to Pakistanis as 'Pakis' to wind her up. She was furious, telling me that i shouldn't make such remarks about ethnic minorities.

A few weeks later she returned home late from a holiday in France, due to French dockworkers on strike. I asked her if the French has made her late back to which she responded "Yes, F*cking Frogs".

There is a time to cuss and a time to speak politely. It is knowing when NOT to cuss that is the key.

If your new boss and his wife are invited to your house for dinner, you're probably better off if you don't say, "Pass the G**D*** salt!"

Personally, I can take a F-U as well as anybody. I draw the line at personal insults.

You can say to me, "That's a typically American thing to say..."

If you say it with the right tone you can even say something like, "Aw! You stupid Americans are all alike!"

I would likely take offence if you said something like, "You are a stupid American..." unless you made it very clear that you were using facetious humor.

If your friend had her vacation ruined by a strike, it might be entirely appropriate for her to express her emotions, "F***ing Frogs!", provided it was said in the proper context.

Now, here's the problem. I can't hear your tone of voice on the internet. I can't see your facial expression. It is VERY easy to misinterpret what you say without those visial clues. That's why it's important to use Emoticons effectively.

If you put a after your post saying, "You Americans..." I would understand it easier.

Emoticons are designed to replace the visual cues that we get in real, face-to-face conversation.