A camera full of "mystery film!"

Worker 11811

I've got this old camera... a REAL camera, not digital. It's a Pentax Super Program.

I took it out of the closet last week and it wasn't working. Replaced the batteries and no luck.

I looked around for a repair shop but I couldn't find any place in town that would even touch it. I found a couple of places on the internet, in California that would repair it for me but, if I sent it out of town, it would cost a minimum of $130 to $150, plus parts, to do the work. That assumes they can get parts, even.

Pentax does not support this camera anymore.

Just on a hunch, I looked on eBay. I found one being offered for $40. I bid on it and won! I figured, even if the thing doesn't work, I can use it as a source of parts to build one working camera out of. Right?

Anyhow, the package came today. I fiddled around with it after dinner, this evening. As luck would have it, the camera seems to be in working condition! But a funny thing happened.

I cocked the shutter and the film rewind knob turned! Holy shit! There's film still in it! The frame counter says, "18." There must be at least 6 more frames of film left. There might even be 18 frames left. That's half a roll!

Just to be safe, I sent a message to the seller. Turns out she's one of those consignment stores like "iSold-It." She says, that's the way it was when she got it. She says I can throw the film out.

So, here I am. I've got half a roll of "mystery film" in this camera.

I think I'm going to shoot up the rest of the roll and develop the negatives. I won't make prints. I'll just scan them.

God knows what's on that film! What do you think I'll find?

One time when my wife and I were traveling in Europe, she thought something was wrong with her Pentax. She had tired to take a picture and nothing happened. She handed it to me and in the process - click. Some how the timer had been armed.

Well the camera was pointed at the 2nd and 3rd story windows of a building across the street. She reads lots of mysteries. She immediately starts to think about what we might have captured on the film. "What if there was a glimpse of a murder in that picture?' she asks. "Well we will just have to come back to Geneva to testify" I said. Alas, when the film was developed, we just had a nondescript picture of the bland building taken at a rather odd angle.

So, we anxiously wait to hear and maybe see what you find. Maybe the pictures were taken by another fur lover!!

So, we anxiously wait to hear and maybe see what you find. Maybe the pictures were taken by another fur lover!!

We think alike! The chances are 1 in 1,000,000 but I still have this weird hope that they will be fur pictures.

They'll probably be snapshots of random people and places.

I just shot up the rest of the roll. I finished it this afternoon and dropped it off to process on my way home from work. Negatives will be done on Monday. I'll scan them on Monday or Tuesday.

If I find anything interesting I'll post them.