Around the world

White Fox

Folks, as I look at your profiles so many times there is no indication of where you are from. Now then, I know that many here do not want to tell exactly where you are located. In fact I would not even advise that. I would not advise someone to mention that you are from Monroe Michigan or Kenilworth England.

However, it would be really good to know your location. Are you possibly from England? France? Russia? Sweden? or even maybe a particular State in the US for instance?

Knowing such information really helps us to develop our site here, and know which directions to take us.

There are furs all over the world. Let's all try to give others an indicaton where the furs are that you look out and see.

White Fox

P.S. I generally would not post this in this forum, but it is an extremely important message, and this is the only forum that I think absolutely everyone (without exception) visits. Thanks.

WF, as the site admin, you cannot know where visitors, logged on members or just guests, are ORIGINALLY from, but you can get a very detailed picture of where they CURRENTLY are. I don't know much about what tools the hosting company of the Den provides, but even if there were none, there are many firms and websites, many of them free, that can help on this issue. For starters, the might old Google has a service called Google Analytics. All you need to do is add a short code to your website's template, and then whenever someone visits the website and clicks on various pages, all sorts of useful information are gathered by Google and then presented to you in various tables and pie-charts. I have enrolled in Google Analytics program for my blog and now I can see how many people visited my blog, and where they are located on a world map. Obviously, that information is all based on the IP addresses. If someone's ISP simply reports the location of an IP address wrongly, Google Analytics will have no way of knowing that.

I'm sure the tech admins are much more knowledgeable on these issues, and from time to time they give information on the referring sites, on the search terms through which people come to the Den from search engines etc. Personally, I would like to hear more on these from the tech admins.

Yes indeed we can do that and indeed have done it. However, with so many members here that is not the easiest thing to do for a lot of members. It is so much easier if people just fill in their profile as to where they are from.

Secondly other members find it interesting to know who they are typing to or reading about. As mentioned, it does not matter if they are from a tiny town or where. But it is very interesting for other members to know if you are from England, or US, or Hong Kong when they read about you experiences with fur.

W

I have seriously thought about shooting myself a coyote blanket. There is no closed season on coyotes in Pennsyltucky. They are considered a nuisance because they kill livestock and have been known to take peoples' pets as well. Even though I live in a suburban area, there are coyotes living in our midst. I have seen them and heard them howling late at night.

It's not safe to hunt in populated areas but my stepfather owns 50 acres of land not too far from here. I just have to find the time and inclination to go out and do it. I figure 6 or 8 of them would do the job.

In August of last year, I was driving along a curving road when I saw a scraggly coyote on the sidewalk. It was just standing there. This road is bordered by low shrubby vegetation, not exactly chaparral but something like it. Anyway, the coyote had bedraggled fur. This might have been due to the humidity that day. It was overcast and even sprinkled a good deal, quite rare for an August day in beautiful San Diego. Now, the coyotes in San Diego do not have nice fur. This one I saw looked quite thin. Ahead of my car was a white work truck driven by a government worker. When he saw the coyote, he immediately made a U-turn and tried to scare off the coyote. I also made a U-turn to get a better look at the coyote, but by the time I drove past the spot where the coyote was standing, it had disappeared. I don't know what that government worker did, but the coyote had run off somewhere. Seeing that coyote was like looking at the embodiment of a wild animal. This was definitely not a domestic dog. The only other time I have seen a coyote in San Diego was one Saturday afternoon nine or ten years ago. I was in a car on the highway and I saw a coyote walking in a dry drainage canal.

Tricia

You're virtually guaranteed to have coyotes in San Diego. There have been coyotes documented to be living in L.A. Practically all large cities have coyotes. They have done studies on the coyote populations in Chicago. They have even captured coyotes living in New York City. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/03/0323_060323_coyote.html

90% of the time coyotes are not a problem. They don't like humans any more than we like them. The difficulty arises when their numbers get too high and they start to spread disease, kill peoples' pets and, if their numbers get too high, they form packs that can be threatening to humans. Especially small children!

I have seen coyotes in my area, maybe a half dozen times. If I did get up the gumption to go coyote hunting I would only take as many as I needed for the fur I wanted to make and I would try to use as much of the carcass as possible for other things. As long as they mind their own business, I am usually content to leave them alone.

I was playing golf in Phoenix AZ last summer. Fortunately, I had an early morning tee time to avoid the heat of the day. I was teeing off on the 18th hole about 11am and my ball ran up to this wierd looking rock. As my buddy and I drove out, we realized that 'the thing' we thought was a rock, was a coyote sitting under the tree, my ball was about 7 to 10 feet from him. We looked at him. He looked at us. I just dropped another ball away from him and let him sit in the shade.

FLinFL

Normally, I'd say that you could holler at it and chase it off. Coyotes usually shy away from humans. You shouldn't have been able to get that close to it. Something must have been wrong with it.

Being in AZ, it might have been taking refuge from the heat but, even so, I would still think that it would run away when a human approached. I would guess that the thing was sick or something. Maybe it had rabies or distemper. In either of those cases, a wild animal might appear to lose its fear of humans. If the animal was sick, you were probably right to avoid it. If, for some strange reason, the thing attacked, you would be at risk for getting rabies yourself!

I say the smart move was to do what you did. Drop a ball and play from there.

It looked like the animal was overheated and too weak and tired to do just about anything. It cetainly could've been sick. One of those instances where just leaving it alone seemed to be the best course of action.

I've encountered coyotes out in Arizona and here in Florida. I have seen them in my neighborhood (no doubt attracted to the large supply of rabbits). Here they will run away from humans. When I've encountered them in Arizona, it's always been while I was on a golf course. I think they see enough humans so that - while they certainly have not lost their fear of humans - they've become 'accepting' of our presence. Those coyotes out there tend to 'meander' away from you as they go about their activity.

FLinFL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coyotes. I don't see them as much as hear them here in Upper Downeast. I also see their tracks in the snow, larger and further apart than a fox, though I see fox footprints, too. I found a dead one - road kill - one morning, but animal control quickly came along and picked it up.

Coyotes are part of Nature just like us, though we overdo our role a good part of the time. For many years I was a volunteer naturalist and taught about the kye-yotes amonst us. Most feed on small mammals and whatever else they can find and are rarely a nuisance. Yes, they may occasionally carry off Spot or Puff if we let them out to run free, but that's highly infrequent. Some become problems, and need to be trapped, transported, or euthanized. That's always going to be true.

I should say that I have a coyote parka, car coat, and full length coat and enjoy them all, often wearing them around the house just to relax. But I admire in many ways the wild ones that roam around about me in the woods and meadows where I live.

To go back to the original point, sorry folks, I think it is fairly important that we know where in the world a message comes from. This is coming from the south side of the equator, therefore it is winter in everyone elses summer, and summer in the middle of winter. It means that when everyone else is all into furs up North, it is 35-40 deg C here, and when it gets cold and I am sleeping under my fox furs, everyone one else is on summer vacation, and NOT in the Den.

We all must have noticed that the Den seems to be a seasonal place apart from a few hardcore locals.

Apart from Mr B, I haven't noticed any one else from this end of the world

Yep indeed we notice that and I sure wish that we could change it for you folks. I know that Auz is far warmer in their winter than we are here in winter for instance but I would think that there would be more people from there interested in fur. Auzmink of course too.

We would certainly love any ideas to stimulate participation in the summer season up here!

Yep, I'm claiming Southern Hemisphere status, a little South of Sydney. The weather is finally starting to cool and I'm thinking time to get the Silver Fox bedspread out.....just a few degrees cooler.....

Auzmink

Auzmink - sorry I forgot about you

It is at last getting cooler indeed. We went to the twilight cinema at North Sydney Oval last night, and even with long pants and a hoody, it was chilly by 9pm. I was wishing I had taken along by long fox for us to snuggle under.

I would love to move to the highlands, for the cooler weather, snow in the winter, and log fires etc. It's only work that keeps us in the City for now, but trying to change that.

Maybe if we can keep the Den active through our winter, more Northerners will stay interested during their summer?

999 xxx

I love the new snoopy!

Maybe if we can keep the Den active through our winter, more Northerners will stay interested during their summer?

I don't seem to have that issue. I think I'm a Furred Brain.

I love the new snoopy!

Me too!