lynx fur - - oxidation

Guest freemetolovefur

Does lynx fur oxidize to a yellowish color? Look at the coat below. The lighter parts of the belly appear yellowish. Is this due to old age oxidation or the natural color of the fur when it is newly tanned? It sure isn't attractive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fur-Coat-Lynx-Fur-Full-Length-Coat-Large-Fabulous_W0QQitemZ350242560532QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_WC_Outerwear?hash=item518c155a14

Tricia

That looks like the natural colouration.

Much like the four Lynx I have plus the lining in my Timberline jacket.

I sure this is natural nd I don't think Lynx is as prone to yellowing as white Fox is.

OFF

I have been told that every colour of fur "Yellows". For instance, a black mink does it but of course you never see it. However, although I've been told it a couple of times, I would like to hear the opinion of an expert.

My experience with White furs has been where ever the light hits, if it has been "brightened" i.e. color treated, this will cause the fur to "yellow" or oxidize. If it yellows along the sleeve tops and shoulders, usually one sleeve, this shows light has hit it in storage. Most of the quality furriers I met in New York had light filters, in addition to lockers with humidity and temp controls. But, others treated furs worse than any owner could fear. There were crammed into packed rooms with no protection from insects, temp, light, or humidity. (Since then ...I would NEVER leave my fur with someone I did not know by name and have had a chance to observe.)

With Lynx, I have never seen one that has oxidized. Usually the hide will crumble first. Since I only purchased from known NY furriers, with a return policy, I never saw a bad one. I did have individuals who brought in a few. When they are too old they hang limply and have no luster left. I would not even inspect them inside the lining for fear they would believe I had damaged their fur. Even a slight tug on the fur will cause a clump to pull out since the hide is so damaged. Coyote is the same way.

But, that is my experience. I have only had a dozen or so in my shop. So, I do not consider that as being an expert.

I do not know this seller, but I do know she is not going to knowingly sell a bad product. Her reputation is worth more to her than selling a few coats. ...so, I doubt seriously anything we see in her photos is other than the wonderful coloring that comes naturally with Lynx.

Linda

White Fox, RE Black fur oxidizing visually. It does. It turns red and again will happen more quickly when color treated and from exposure to light. A natural black mink is very slow to redden though. Black Fox's hide will go first. Lamb is very slow to redden. As OFF has mention, very few furs are naturally black. Usually dark brown.