A question for the Experts around here.

White Fox

I've a question for the experts around here. Thought of it while looking at a woman walking down the street in fur the other day.

Coats of white fur yellow rather quickly. We most all know that. I've noticed myself that although blue fox maybe does not yellow as quickly by definition, the colours it changes to are far less attractive than the original blue fox colouring, etc. It seems to be affected far worse than any fur colour in that it's yellowed colour is not nearly as pretty.

So, the question is... If a coat begins to yellow, it yellows rather quickly. I know that keeps on happening. But does the rate just keep on endlessly at about the same rate? Does it speed up? Does it "Hit the wall", and get to a certain point where it will kind of slow down a bit after is has become very yellow in colour? Does it continue to yellow or does it change to more of a brown or gray after it has gotten to a certain point for instance?

Just an interesting question that I thought of. I know that so far at least with my coat the yellowing rate has been pretty consistent all the way through. But it is only maybe 8 or 9 years old now. Question is if I can still wear it at 20 years will it still for instance be changing colour at the same rate as today?

W

I canNOT answer the main questions about rate, but to be correct what we are discussing is called oxidation.

I have heard that excess exposure to sunlight can increase the rate of oxidation (or yellowing).

I do not know but logically, I would think that once an area of fur has reached a level of relatively severe oxidation, that the rate of color change would slow down.

Other than the exposure to the sunlight furs can beome oxidized from the lighting inside a business or a home as well....If you go to a furrier take a look at the main lighting used in the showroom. If they know furs the lighting wil be indirect to as not shine directl down on the coats on display. My time spent at our local furrier has taught me this. He explained why the lights were indirect and were reflected back up toward the ceiling. This also explains why they keep the fur storage vault dark most of the time.

Well hello White Fox. We have not been online as nuch lately with holidays, car shows during the summer and home projects. Hope to be able to spend a bit more time here in 2010 though.