is trapping Canadian lynx cruel?

Guest freemetolovefur

Tom

I think that many of us here feel similar to you. For instance, I remember one of the old "Grumpy Old Men" movies. They catch the huge fish, the real prise, and suddenly decide to let it go again. We might for instance, go fishing, and look at the fish in the bottom of the boat still alive. We begin to think. "Gee maybe we should let it go!" We in fact suddenly feel sorry for it. But, we still go ahead and find out how good it tastes right out of the frying pan. I've heard so many stories of how a farmer and his family made a pet out of a pig for instance. Suddenly when it comes time to send it to market, the farmer and family "cry for weeks".

That is part of life. Even if we buy a board to repair our house we cut down a tree - kill it - in order to do that. There is almost nothing in life that we do that does not affect animals. But, we are at the top of the food chain. If we suddenly decided to kill every pigeon in existence for no reason for instance that would be dead wrong. So easy to define. But, if we find that pigeons are extremely good eating (which they are), and decide that for instance they are a good source of food for a certain country that has too many of them anyhow, that is great. It can be a bit hard for we as humans to find that line in between.

I always remember the native traditions. Before they kill an animal for instance, they will thank it for providing them meat. I remember the old John Wayne movie (Donavon's Reef) where they cut down a Christmas tree, and immediately the princess thanks the Gods for providing it. We possibly could learn a lot more from Natives and their way of life there. I think that the "thanking process" possibly is a way to remember that you use what you need to eat and live, and respect the animals and plants that provide that life. Much like your thought on the big cats for instance.

Just some thoughts.

W