Anyone know what type of fur is this? Help appreciated!!!

Lowie

Hello everyone! I inherited this coat and can't find anything like it on the internet. The coat was hand-made by Agnes Fur Shoppe in Detroit and appears to be made from 1-2 inch strips of fur, all sewn together to make a coat. It's really quite stunning in the sunlight!! The leather is very supple.

Front%20400.jpg

Back400.jpg

Detail.jpg

Label400.jpg

Thanks!

Laurie

One of our furrier members can probably provide a better answer, but I will take a stab at it.

The hair length and sheen looks similar to mink, so to me it appears to be some form of a pieced mink (mink scraps sewn together). Possibly some variety of cross mink. I have seen brown & white mink pelts, but not in that shade of brown.

Strictly a guess on my part: Could it be made from mink paws?

I once saw a coat that was similar. The patterning looks the same but the color is different.

Thanks Everyone! I'm going to probably take it to a furrier to see what they say. An antique dealer I know said it might be Russian Lynx, but I don't think they have white stripes like this. Must have taken a long time to make. If anyone else wants to take a stab at "Guess That Fur"...go for it!

I think that once again those were common at one point. And I was trying to remember, when I saw Worker's post. I think that he is right on, though I am looking way back in the memory. I believe it is made of mink pieces or mink paws. Much easier though to tell if we could feel the fur...

A furrier should be able to provide the answer for you. But you will need a furrier. Not just a weekend employee, etc.

W

Thanks White Fox. Appreciate all the help! Will keep researching and unfortunately we can't yet to touch-a-vision, so we are limited to pictures or actually being there. Thanks again!