fur underwater?

Lil Dragonfly

I would love to film a clip of me freediving in a fur jacket. (I will be opening a website, similar to Brandy's except the theme will be aqua fetishes.)

Obviously it will have to be a cheap fur, since it will get ruined. I'm thinking of the "craft cutter" coats on ebay that are already full of rips.

Any tips (besides taking it to the furrier, which I can't afford) on how to rescue it afterwards?

I know that its unfortunate to ruin a fur, but the thought of the long hairs swaying in the current is just so inviting...

P.S. Brandy, I remember a while back you mentioned wearing a rabbit coat in the shower for your website. How did that go? Did you ever manage to save it?

Basically, the water will ruin the garment making it unreasonable to even consider any repair work afterwards.

Once soaked, the garment is garbage.

How about faux fur? Could that be saved?

(Disclaimer: because faux is bad for the environment, I would only buy pre-owned/vintage)

How about faux fur? Could that be saved?

Generally faux fur would be much more water tolerant. It would depend on what the woven fabric backing is made from as to if the garment would stretch out of shape when wet.

I have often worn furs in water or in the bath for the staisfaction of my wet and messy members of my website..

the sad tale is this...

1 - a light and quick shower will ruin the fur but you will be able to wear it again..

2= prolonged submerssion will just kill it...

if you can get to the back (skin) of the fur, you maybe able to dub/waterproof and re-moisture the leather back into life..but generally..the water dries it out and the fur will start to break apart...

I hunt through second hand charity shops for old and cheap furs to be worn when shooting my wet and messy videos..nothing silver fox or arctic fox standard ever gets considered....

I hope this helps..

kisses

brandy

xxxx

What type of backing would you recommend?

I believe if the backing (woven cloth) part of a faux fur is made from a similar hydrophobic oil based plastic as the fuzzy fibers themselves, the item might tolerate a soaking. But the item could still get stretched out of shape by the weight of water that might get trapped between the fibers.

I believe if the backing (woven cloth) part of a faux fur is made from a similar hydrophobic oil based plastic as the fuzzy fibers themselves, the item might tolerate a soaking.

If I show you some faux furs on ebay, can you please tell me if the backing is ok?

It would depend on what the woven fabric backing is made from as to if the garment would stretch out of shape when wet.

But the item could still get stretched out of shape by the weight of water that might get trapped between the fibers.

In the thread "Is Faux Fur The New Black", Fur Lover in FL said "All that is need for (faux fur) cleaning is a quick toss in the laundry on the 'gentle' cycle".

Now I'm confused.

I talked to a woman once who had a faux fur get wet and put it in the dryer. It changed from a coat that a moderately large woman would wear maybe a 12 or 14 to one an 8 year old kid would wear.

Dragon, I am a bit afraid that your project may turn into a wear it once and throw it sort of thing. But possibly with "craft pieces" type of coats you can make that work. Hope I am wrong on thinking you could not reuse them very much but...

W

The preferred cleaning method of a faux fur item would depend on the materials it was made from. It is impossible to tell what an item is made from by looking at an image of it. Only the "Care & Cleaning" label sewn into the item will tell you how the item should be cleaned.

Hi Lil' Dragonfly,

The care instructions of every faux fur are probably different. My faux fur is from a company called Silk & Sable. The care instructions in the coats are: "Machine wash. Tumble on air-only. No Heat."

Hope that helps!

FLinFL

• 2 months later...

Update on the site!

Today I made the front page. In March I am traveling to Orlando for lots of photo shoots for it (both clips and stills).

There will be both (old) fur coats underwater and furs on dry land. There will also be other fetishes (balloons, inflatable toys, latex, underwater, etc.)

I will let everyone know when its finished