Buying Advice Needed

polygon344

I'm looking to get my wife a fur coat for Christmas. She knows that's what I'm looking for and she's okay wearing fur out and about. I came across this coat on a local website. http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-clothing-womens-tops-outerwear-BLUE-FOX-AND-RACCOON-FUR-COAT-W0QQAdIdZ162861969 The seller claims that she hasn't worn it much but admits it hasn't been in proper cold storage for the last few years. Its been in her closet at home. She also said it was purchased about 18 years ago. Is this coat going to be at the end of its life span or is it a good buy? What is the average lifespan for a coat thats been properly stored and cared for versus one that hasn't?

Is raccoon a good 'starter' fur? I'm looking for something thats going to be relatively durable, not too expensive and able to stand up to regular wear. Is raccoon good for that or should I look for something like fox or mink?

I'd want to actually look at it and have a check it out before I bought it, especially if it was going to be a gift.

On the other hand, the price is pretty cheap.

Other people, here, will be able to tell you more about age and condition issues than I can but I think you are right to be concerned about a fur that hasn't been stored properly for almost 20 years. If it was me, I'd want to see the fur in person before I decided on buying.

Raccoon is nice but it's not one of my favorite furs. It's more about preference, really. What kind of fur do you like?

Raccoon isn't one of the most expensive furs so it could be a starter fur but it all depends on what you like.

One of my favorite furs is beaver. Fox is nice too.

My wife likes her beaver coat because it's really warm. She likes fox because she likes "fluffy" fur around the face and collar.

So, when we finally bought a coat, we ended up getting a beaver coat with fox trim.

I'll tell you, from my experience, if you're buying a fur for your wife it's a LOT more fun if you can take her out to the store or salon so she can try on the furs.

Involvement is key for ladies when they buy clothes.

For guys, we think, "Is it the right color? Yeah, it fits. Okay, I'll take it." and out the door we go. Women want to try things on and fuss about them before they buy. It's all about the experience.

My wife was very concerned about the price as we were fur shopping. She really didn't to spend a lot of money on a coat.

But, when I finally got her to a good fur salon and she tried on some really nice coats, she started warming up to the idea. Being able to actually try on the coats, look at herself in the mirror and actually FEEL the fur made all the difference. As she tried on a couple-few furs, I could tell she was warming up the idea. When she finally picked out a coat, it was HER coat. The one SHE liked. When it came down to talking business, she was much more comfortable with the price because she knew what she was getting and it was something she really liked. Now, it's a coat she wears instead of something that ends up in the closet. I'll bet the lady who has the coat now ended up sticking it in the closet because somebody just "bought" it for her and she didn't get a chance to really "bond" with it before she took it home.

Oh, yeah! Don't forget! It's a lot of fun to watch your wife try on furs! That's half the fun!

But, if you need me to tell you about the "other" fun things you can do with furs then I don't think there's much anybody can do for you! (J.K.)

Thanks for the input. I would definitely go check it out in person before I handed over any cash...which is why I'm looking locally rather than on ebay. The seller says that it was worn for three seasons when the coat was new, then her kids started giving her a hard time about wearing fur so she stopped wearing it. It was in fur storage and then somebody told her that as long as the fur wasn't wrapped up and her house stayed a constant temperature, she could keep it at home. I don't know how long it was stored properly but I'm going to assume that it was for the majority of its life. The photo was taken in 2007 and I'm guessing thats when it was pulled out of cold storage and kept at home.

I like this post!

I am not an expert but will toss in my 1.25 cents (based upon 10 years experience buying/wearing new and used furs):

Re: the coat:

*I would not consider this a "classic" design so I would not buy it without your wife seeing it first.

*I would be concerned re: the home storage, especially given the age of the coat. I would never buy a fur that was not properly stored without inspecting it up close and personal (checking pelt suppleness, looking for evidence of potential dry rot, etc.).

*Racoon is a very durable fur (I own one myself). If properly cared for, I think a good racoon coat could provide over 25 years of reliable service. Not properly cared for ... Will depend on among other things how "constant" the temperature really was and how well controlled the humidity was.

*If your wife likes it and it looks like it's in good condition I would make an offer ~15% less than the asking price. From what you've typed I doubt she has any emotional attachment to the coat and would likely let it go for less than the asking price.

*Racoon or mink would be excellent starter furs in my opinion. Fox tends to turn more heads than racoon or mink in my experience (and it tends to shed) ... So I think a good racoon or mink would be a terrific first fur. (FYI - My first fur was an ankle length silver fox and, trust me, it took time to get used to the attention that came my way when wearing it while strolling down Michigan Avenue.)

And for those who doubt that the animal rights movement/public opinion have had much impact on fur wearing I offer up the following quote:

then her kids started giving her a hard time about wearing fur so she stopped wearing it.

Some excellent points have been made in this topic. To summarize the major points:

1) The condition of the garment MUST be evaluated BEFORE making an offer on a used fur (especially if it is for one's wife).

2) The wife needs to approve of the style and type of fur. If she is not pleased with the look of the garment, she will never wear it.

The fact this garment was home stored (possibly improperly) and not cleaned or glazed regularly should be a red flag that the garment needs to be carefully and thoroughly inspected before considering purchasing it. If the garment seems in good condition and you still want to buy it, see if you can take it to a professional furrier for evaluation BEFORE paying for it. It may cost $10-$20 for a verbal appraisal, but it can be well worth it to get an expert's opinion on the condition of the garment.

And for those who doubt that the animal rights movement/public opinion have had much impact on fur wearing I offer up the following quote:

then her kids started giving her a hard time about wearing fur so she stopped wearing it.

I don't doubt the veracity of the woman's claim but I also know that there are many women who would use that as an excuse to avoid wearing a fur they don't like but don't want to admit it.

I know a certain woman, who shall remain nameless, when I tried to take her to the top of the Empire State Building, made all sorts of excuses... "It's crowded up there." "It's windy." "It's cold." "It's nothing but a stupid tourist trap." But, when I finally got her to go, I found out that she had been to New York City many years ago on a school trip and got stuck in the elevator half way up. She and several people were trapped for over a half hour!

So, instead of simply telling me that she didn't want to go in the elevator, I heard all sorts of static about why the Empire State Building was so terrible.

It's not a far cry to think that the owner of that fur is making up a similar story to avoid admitting that there is some other reason she doesn't like the fur. That's why I think it's important to let your wife try on the fur so you will have a better chance of her actually liking it and wearing it without it having to be a special favor for you. After all, we all want our women to wear furs! Right?

P.S. - I'm not saying that fabricating excuses is the exclusive domain of women. I'm just pointing out the way in which women are likely to make excuses as opposed to the way men do.

I

don't doubt the veracity of the woman's claim but I also know that there are many women who would use that as an excuse to avoid wearing a fur they don't like but don't want to admit it.

I'd agree if it didn't sound like she had worn the fur regularly the first few years after she bought it and then stopped because of her children harrassing her. I think that soundsl like a pretty specific reason. If the reason was something more generic along the lines of "it stopped getting cold enough to wear fur" (yeah, right, you're in Canada) or "I stopped going places where fur was appropriate" (what, you divorced/moved/social circumstances changed dramatically for another reason?) then I would be more inclined to believe she could be beating around the bush.

If the garment seems in good condition and you still want to buy it, see if you can take it to a professional furrier for evaluation BEFORE paying for it. It may cost $10-$20 for a verbal appraisal, but it can be well worth it to get an expert's opinion on the condition of the garment.

Thats an excellent idea. Not sure the seller will go for it, but its worth at least asking.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I'm new to fur and I wouldn't call myself an "enthusiast". I just happened to know about this little community through Melody O'hair (the sweater forum) and I figured if there was a group of people on the net who knew a lot about fur, it would be you guys.

Its me again. The other coat kind of fell through. We (my wife and I) found some other coats that she seems to like more than that one.

We're looking at a a blue fox now. I know the coat is about 10 years old and its been stored in a basement during the off season. The price is very attractive on this coat so I'm willing to take something that isn't in perfect 10/10 condition. But is fox the kind of fur that can handle a lack of maintenance and being improperly stored? Or is it a delicate fur requiring constant and diligent care from a professional? I'm being offered a lot of coat for a very attractive price and I know that I'm going to be looking at something thats not in perfect shape. But based on its age and how its been (un)cared for is it worth making the trip to look at it?

The other coat kind of fell through. We (my wife and I) found some other coats that she seems to like more than that one.

Not a big loss in my book. As they say, there's no accounting for taste...But on an attractiveness scale of 1 - 10 Fur Snob me would have given that coat a "mercy 3". Thus my suggestion to not buy it without your wife seeing it first. Methinks your wife has a good eye.

I know the coat is about 10 years old and its been stored in a basement during the off season.

Humidity is perhaps fur's #1 enemy. I would be wary of a coat stored in a basement unless the basement was finished with some manner of automatic humidity control. If it's a standard, damp basement I would be hesitant to purchase regardless of price.

I own a 10 year old silver fox. It has been cleaned and stored annually since purchase, worn somewhat frequently (not exactly something you wear to Home Depot), and it still looks almost as good as it did the day I brought it home. From what I've read, fox and other long haired furs require regular (at least bi-annual) cleaning as well as storage to maintain their luster and silkiness.

If it sounds like a deal, check it out. Just bear in mind that you often really do get what you pay for.

Keep us posted!

Sorry JG, but I must disagree somewhat. High temperatures are the #1 enemy of fur - improper humidity is #2. Too much humidity can cause mold to grow and destroy a fur, but too little humidity will speed the aging of the pelts by drying them out faster.

While fox can be one of the most sensuous furs, it can come with built-in problems. Lighter colors (like shadow or blue) will oxidize and turn yellow. The leather of fox pelts is frequently thinner than that of many other furs and can thus dry out faster especially if the garment does not receive proper care and storage.

A 10 year old fox could be at the mid point of it's useful life. Cavet Emptor! (Buyer Beware!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Revillon-fur-at-Saks-Lunaraine-Mink-female-coat-SIZE-L_W0QQitemZ300368782352QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_WC_Outerwear?hash=item45ef5fe410

A gentle reminder ... Don't forget ebay. You must proceed with caution ... But you can get a good deal there.

Price seems to be an important consideration for you, so I did a quick search to see what was out there. This coat caught my eye. Bid is currently under $250. Revillon is a famous name in luxury furs. I believe they closed all their US stores several years ago so this piece is probably at least 6 - 8 years old, but a good mink, well cared for, can provide over 30 years of reliable service so I think, depending on how the bidding goes, this is a potential bargain. And I'm sure there are probably a dozen other bargains out there right now in fox, mink, and other desirable furs just waiting to be found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-Classic-Full-Length-Blue-Iris-Mink-Fur-Coat_W0QQitemZ280425903530QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_WC_Outerwear?hash=item414aafb5aa

Another ebay example. Under $150 at present. Not for sale by original owner, I'm sure, so not sure how much of the history they will be aware of, but it's always a good idea to ask about the garment's age and cleaning/storage history. If this coat was a couple sizes larger, I would be tempted to bid on it myself. Again, just making a point that you don't always have to go looking through people's basements to find a deal on a fur.

(Hopefully!) Final thought on this subject.

You really do need to investigate how a used fur has been cared for. People can be so clueless. I received the following response from someone offering a coat in "perfect" condition:

The coat is about 4 years old, it has spent the vast majority of its days stored under heavy plastic within my home. It has not been cleaned due to the lack of wear and therefore need. I want to stress how great the condition the coat is in. Thanks for the question! happy bidding!

It won't be in "great condition" much longer if he keeps that up!

With mostly excellent results, I've gotten all my furs from eBay.

You have to read carefully and ask lots of questions prior to bidding however to have a better chance of getting a good fur.

OFF

I've gotten all my furs from eBay.

3 of my 10 furs are from ebay as well. I don't think I have scored any "incredible deals" ... But on average I'd guess I paid ~30% of what I would have paid for "new" (realistic pricing verus the typical retail pretend pricing).

With careful shopping I've gotten mostly great deals to outright steals

The most I have ever paid was for my Cross Fox from purpleshoshana.

Gotten burnt a coulpe of times but enough really good ones to more than ofset the bad ones.

Mostly smokers' furs.

OFF