Recommending a furrier to make blankets.

foxkid

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone here has any personal recommendations for making fur blankets. I'm on a tight budget so can't splash out loads, but am willing to set aside some cash for the job. I'm sourcing the fur from the US, so ideally in the US would be good even though I will need to export it to Europe. While I'm aware there is a wiki it'd be good to have some personal recommendation from someone who is known to be good. If it's better, feel from to PM me rather than reply.

This is a place I've been looking at:

http://www.adirondackblankets.com/default.asp

I live within an afternoon's drive of the place. Next time I'm up for a day trip I plan to go there if it's possible to visit them.

Besides, there's a Waffle House right on the way. I've been jonesing for a double hash browns with everything!

Anyhow... Jokes aside...

I have never seen a decent fur blanket sell for much less than $1,000. (US)

Adirondack sells a medium (approx. 60”x36”) blanket for just under $1,500. That's just about the price you we paid for our full length beaver fur coat.

They also sell other fur goodies too.

I might get my wife a pair of furry slippers to keep her feet warm!

I got my first one from furcorner off eBay. A shop in NE Canada.

It was inexpensive and OK for the price. White Fox gills or flank pieces.

The second was partly a bust with American Furs out of Quebec. Part of it fell apart.

I took it and several Red Fox coats to Ungar Furs where he made it right and added two Shadow Fox bands on each side. Should have gone to him in the first place. He could have given me several different furs for the same price I ended up paying and it would have been custom. Going to have him convert several coats into throws soon as I can afford to.

Shirley and Kevin have had very good luck with him too for the same things.

OFF

I got my first one from furcorner off eBay. A shop in NE Canada.

It was inexpensive and OK for the price. White Fox gills or flank pieces.

The second was partly a bust with American Furs out of Quebec. Part of it fell apart.

I took it and several Red Fox coats to Ungar Furs where he made it right and added two Shadow Fox bands on each side. Should have gone to him in the first place. He could have given me several different furs for the same price I ended up paying and it would have been custom. Going to have him convert several coats into throws soon as I can afford to.

Shirley and Kevin have had very good luck with him too for the same things.

OFF

Yes, furcorner do a lot of cheaper stuff, but the quality isn't great from what I saw, they seem to make a lot of things from pieced plates. I guess it's expected from the price.

American Furs seem to have better stuff, but again I get the impression they are a bit of an amtuer outfit as they have lots of oddly shapped things. I had a pieced fox throw which again was similar, it was weak, and I wouldn't say it's the workman ship as the same person made me an amazing new full pelt white rex rabbit for 500 euros and threw in a chinchilla + knitted sheared beaver scarf for me in that price (I daren't use the rex much though it seems too good to use regularly). The pieced fox was a lot cheaper, but these were one off eBay deals that I got lucky with.

Mind PM'ing me how much Ungar set you back, as they have a great reputation so would be nice to know. It's good to support a community endorsed company, particularly when they've been a bit of a victim of some nasty PETA stunts.

• 2 weeks later...

Let us know if you pursue this ... Curious as to how it will go ... Would not mind a real fur throw myself to complement my two (IMHO very nice) faux ones. Mink, coyote, blue fox ... the possibilities seem almost endless.

Don't forget that the furrier silviafox suggests is in Germany. Prices are in Euros. The American buyer will have to deal with currency exchange, shipping and the possibility of tariffs.

But, since a full third (or more) of our membership resides in Britain or Europe, this furrier will be a viable option for some.

I agree. The prices look expensive but I also know there are other factors which make a difference for American or British and European customers, respectively.

Still, the fur looks nice! Did you guys see the fur laptop computer covers or the fur iPhone cases? Very cool!

http://www.master-furrier.com/netbooktasche-pelztasche-naturfarbenen-chinchilla-p-496.html

http://www.master-furrier.com/iphone-chinchilla-fits-blackberrys-well-p-431.html