Silk lining

mailonfurs

The standard lining we furriers use for fur manufacturing is artificial silk. I made a wikipedia search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_silk

The thing is that more and more clients of mine request for silk lining. The thing is that they are hard to trace in the textiles markets and I'm not sure if they are good for fur making.

Has anyone purchased 100% silk lined furs and whats their opinion?

I'm not going to be any help ... But I chose the linings for my custom coats and in each instance I requested silk (logically, natural fiber to go along with natural fur) and each time I was shown synthetic fabrics to choose from. Not sure if it's price or durability (probably shoulda asked!), but silk linings apparently are no longer common.

It is interesting that they would know of a silk lining. Since it is so rare.

Maybe the customers do not understand the difference between real and artificial silk. Possibly they think that the artificial is the real thing, and thus request it.

W

W, the clients request the real silk instead of the artificial...

I do not thnk they really know what they need, but they ask for it anyways. My textiles distributor told me that he'll be bringing more as they seem they are in demand nowadays. Who knows?

At least in the samples I've seen over my lifetime, heavier real silk always seemed to have a 'body' and 'weight' that synthetics don't possess.

The lighter silks are less differentiated though there is a 'quality' to the way real silk drapes that seems superior. I think this is why high end fashions use real silk for blouses for instance.

OFF

• 3 weeks later...

just today another client requested a silk lining. When I quoted her the extra cost she said she would send me her own that she would buy for much less on ebay.

The listing was this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110455181400&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3984.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D110455181400%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

or just use ebay item 110455181400

The material is described as : silk, satin rayon

If you visit the wikipedia link again you'll see that rayon is the artificial silk, our standard linings.

Please note 100% silk is not suitable for making lining for garments, as its not breath free and it sticks to the body in the hotter circumstance, or while you sweat.We are tailors, we can confirm this.

Did you notice this line from the ebay ad? Have never heard this before.

Could this be why my request for silk linings always resulted in (silky) synthetic choices?