Skin-on-skin or fully let out

elbas3175

Can anyone explain to me the pros and cons of these two different design styles - skin-on-skin and fully let out pelts?

Obviously they look very different, but does it make a difference in terms of quality, cost, durability, amount of time and effort required to manufacture, etc?

For example, looking at the fox designs from elsafur we've all been admiring on ebay recently, I've noticed they all seem to be skin-on-skin, something I've never seen with fox before. As a general rule I prefer the fully let out look, especially with fox, but skin-on-skin can look good with sable.

Thanks,

elbas

re. Fox skin-on-skin.

The Fox pelts are already very full. with the highest quality ones at least. elsafur2008 is a very god example

Personally this is my favorite way to do most any Fox. Maybe the 'thinner' ones need "letting out" to achieve fullness but not a full Fox pelt. I have all skin-on-skin Red and White Fox for my spread and it couldn't be better with let out skins.

OFF

• 3 weeks later...

I was never a big fan of skin-on-skin design, but it has grown on me. In particular, I've seen several spectacular sables using the technique that have made me pause and reconsider my position.

• 4 weeks later...

L/D...

I'm not sure how much you know so I am going to keep this very basic. Then, those in the know can fill in the more detailed stuff.

Skin on Skin. Know how you can see the hide of each animal in a chinchilla coat? Rex Rabbit is an imitation where you see a solid line all the way through. But with chinchilla you see the individual hides of each chinchilla. That's how you can tell the difference. That is the easiest way to think of skin on skin. They may indeed make a skin on skin coat of some animal by simply sewing hides together that are on different "angles'" of cuts, but cut so all match. Or they might for instance cut the skins all square. Possibly even sew them into one large square piece that kind of looks like a blanket with no lining. And then, cut the pieces of the coat from that large piece.

Now then, a mink is a small animal. Yet, think of female mink coats. How there are those beautiful lines that go from the top of the coat right all the way down to the bottom But, problem is t hat the animal is not that big. So, they cut the "skins" of the minks into very thin strips. Experts could tell you. Between 1/2 and 1 cm possibly? By cutting those skins on an angle and sewing them back together slightly "staggered", they can get those lines that go all of the way up and down. In some cases that can cause some of the "cracks in the fur" mentioned in another post here. Imagine making a whole coat of pieces of fur 1 cm wide. That is how they make a let out coat. Think of the work involved.

I think a lot of the benefit is through the looks of the coat but know that there are other benefits as well. The professionals here can explain those better.

Hope that helped a little anyhow.

W