A bear walked into a fur shop...

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky for him he walked out! I personally think he would look better in front of a fire place and under a beautiful lady!!! We had our own wild encounter this summer with a raccoon raiding our trash. When we trapped him my girlfriend came out to look at the caged vermin. My fire was lit when she expressed her desire to show him to her day care kids then "when were done with that we should have him made into something furry like a love glove." We had our evil erotic fun deciding the fate of the raccoon. I only wish this happened when it was colder weather. I would have loved to get pictures of my lady posing next to the vermin wile wearing her full length tanuki fur coat!! Anyway we decided to take him for a ride and set him free. We reluctantly decided it was too risky and impractical to make him into a fur.

Edited by Guest

If you could find a tannery in your area which processes hides with the fur on you might be able to have the coon made into fur but for only one pelt it might be more trouble than it's worth.

1) You will have to euthanize it. Not easy to do at home. Shooting it will damage the pelt. It's not practical to poison it. Trying to force-feed a wild animal is would not be a fun thing to do! Injection is illegal in most places. Again, are you willing to hold on to a wild animal long enough to stick a needle in its ass? Not me!

The best thing to use would be carbon dioxide.

Seal the critter up in an airtight container like a 55 gal. oil drum with a tight fitting lid. Go to your local soda fountain wholesaler and rent a large cylinder of CO2. Rig up a hose and a valve to fill the drum up with the gas. Done properly the animal will lose consciousness in a minute or less and it will expire in 5-10 min. However, you don't want to take any chances. Raccoons are used to living in tight spaces like holes in trees and burrows. Their systems are used to living in low-oxygen conditions. It could take up to 30 minutes in a pure CO2 environment to do the job. You absolutely do not want that thing waking up half way through "Step 2!" Best to leave the animal lay for a while to ensure it is dead.

If you do this step properly, the animal will just go to sleep and never wake up again.

2) You will have to skin it. Although I might be capable of skinning an animal I probably wouldn't do a good job. I have done it once or twice but I have not done small animals. Only deer. It's a messy job. If you damage the pelt during skinning your whole project might be ruined. Probably best to find somebody who can do the job for you.

3) What are you going to do with the rest of the animal? This could be messy. If you live in an urban or suburban area you could wrap it up and put it in the trash collection but you'd have to be sure there are no regulations against disposing dead animal carcasses in the municipal waste stream.

Probably best to dig a deep hole in the back yard to bury it. That's what I'd do. (Again, check regulations!)

4) Getting it tanned is likely to be problematic. You have only one relatively small pelt. A commercial tanner isn't going to run a batch for only one coon pelt. You are either going to have to wait until he gets enough other pelts to make a whole batch or collect a lot more skins to make a batch.

I have no idea what the cost to have a coon pelt tanned would be.

5) Now you have your pelt. What are you going to do with it? You'll need to find somebody who can sew it into something. Maybe you, your wife/girlfriend or a friend can do it. It's not as simple as sewing cloth. It can't be done on a standard sewing machine. It will take a specialized machine: http://www.bonisparts.com/index2.html

It can be done by hand but, if time is of essence it will be a long, tedious process to sew by hand.

6) Now you finally get to enjoy your prize! It will probably be very nice but at what cost? It might be more expensive than you bargained for.

That having been said, there have been some coyotes in this area causing trouble, snatching cats and small dogs off people's back patios and chasing off the deer. Coyote control has become an issue in this area. I have often thought of going out to shoot a few coyotes for the pelts. I suppose, if I got a dozen or so skins I might be able to make something worthwhile out of them.

Anybody want to go on a coyote hunt with me?

I have access to 50 acres of private land to hunt on but you'd have to bring your own rifle and ammo.

Anybody want to go on a coyote hunt with me?
If you want to hunt coyotes for the pelt, wait until late winter when there will be better quality fur on the animals.

Tanning cost will depend on the tannery, the size and type of pelt, and how you want it processed. The cost for a raccoon pelt could be $30-$70.

Yeah. And coyotes are hungrier in the winter because there's less natural food available. They are more likely to come near where humans live, making it easier to find them.

I have had coyotes in my yard during the winter. And I live in the suburbs!

• 5 weeks later...

Wildlife in your back yard is a national issue.

Just about anywhere in the country you will get deer, coyote, big cats, bears, raccoon, skunk, possom and many other forms of wildlife in surprising numbers.

The species and numbers will vary depending on where you live of course.

Remember, they were the original inhabitants of "your" neighborhood.

OFF

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Off... here in my community, I thought it was kind of cool when our homeowners' association issued a coyote-warning. However, it was a little unsettling when they issued a water-moccasin warning a couple of months back. Ah the joys of living in Florida...

FLinFL

Water Moccasin are great roasted over an open fire I discovered when I was in the Boy Scouts.

We would hunt them from our canoe with a machete in the marshes around where we would camp..

Strip them down after chopping off their head. This gets rid of the poison sack.

Chopped in short lengths they would roast quite nicely over a campfire

OFF

Hmmm.... interesting. We can't have open fires here, but I'm sure that a gas grill would work the same!

...what am I talking about... I'm the idiot who'd actually try to catch one of those things only to get bitten and wind up in the Miami venom center...

FLinFL

Just use a machete.

*CHOP!!* Problem solved.

As kid, I used to go camping in the Allegheny Forrest near Kinzua Dam in Warren, PA with my scout troop.

One time, the scout master warned us to watch out for rattlesnakes. Man! That was all we needed! Several of us went out on a rattlesnake hunt.

Just think. There were about a dozen rowdy boy scouts brandishing machetes, tramping through the woods looking for snakes!

Whatever was long and skinny got chopped! And, yes. We actually did get several snakes. A couple of them were rattlers.

Anyhow, any snake, even a rattler would rather escape than strike at you. If you don't corner them or suddenly startle them they are unlikely to strike. Just let them run. Watch where they go. When they settle down, sneak up on them and whack them.

Snake fritters for dinner!