What Browser do you use most often  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What Browser do you use most often

• Firefox
    • Opera
    • Chrome
    • Explorer
    • Safari

Would be interesting to know what browser that people here use. Feel free to comment as well...

I am setting this for only one choice as I don't think the results would make sense if I set for two...

Will be fun to see the percentages here.

W

In light of how WF setup the poll, I suggest that if you have and use 2 or more browsers, that you select your primary or most used browser.

Thanks AK

Maybe should have explained better. I've noticed that most people will leave Explorer on their computer for instance but never use it. And I've for instance got Netscape on mine just in case I should have a problem making a page load with Firefox, etc. Yep, they are on my computer, but they are never used. However, if I answered the poll saing that I used all three , then the poll would be meaningless.

Thus the reasoning to allow only one answer.

W

Did you know that we have a small but notable portion of our users who visit the site using their Blackberry?

There are a few who use their Samsung smart phones too.

There are also a few people who use Konquerer, Dillo, Lynx and SeaMonkey among others.

I have used almost all of them, including an iPhone to visit the site.

No, I don't have an iPhone. I only borrowed one for a few minutes to test how it works on The Fur Den. (It does! )

Here is a chart made from data gleaned from our server logs. Here you can see the actual percentages of visitors who come to the Den using a given browser. The time period is between March 1 and the present. (March - June)

[image]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/Cirrus01/th_FD-Browser-Chart.png[/image]

Internet Exploder = 69%

Firefox = 23%

Safari = 5%

Opera = 3%

Other (Blackberry / Samsung, etc.) = <1%

(Note: Bots and search engines not included in the count.)

I think I've been using Firefox since shortly after it came out. Oddly I never much liked Netscape.

I've also tried Safari and Opera but wasn't overly impressed with them either. As far as Internet Explorer goes, I'm still on IE 6. I tried 7 for about half an hour. After crashing my system 3 times I dumped it and have used it a handful of times since.

Firefox is the most lightweight browser out of the 4 most common ones. (Firefox, Safari, Opera & Exploder.)

It uses less memory and slows the system down the least. As much as I like Safari on the surface, it is nearly as much of a hog as Exploder is.

I once had a 1 GHz Pentium-II laptop running Firefox while simultaneously streaming a 2048 KB/sec video stream, dual screen with Firefox on the main screen and the video being displayed full screen on the external video port. Neither one even missed a beat.

Another reason for using Firefox is that I use several different computers with different operating systems. I use Windoze computers, Macs and Linux, pretty much interchangeably throughout the day. Using Firefox helps me standardize my web browsing so that, no matter which computer I use, it's the same program to browse the internet.

Therefore, it's Firefox for me.

Sometimes it's Safari.

Occasionally I will use something like Dillo or Lynx.

I only use Exploder when necessary.

One of the hidden reasons for this post...

If you look at stats you will see that Firefox is what...... 28% of the internet browser market? Yet, if I look here and on many such sites, I notice that most people seem to use Firefox. I keep wondering on that difference. Is it possibly office computers are set up more for Explorer? Do educational services teach it's use more? I think we have more North American members here, and is Firefox used more in North America? (I believe that Opera was developed in Norway, so they might use it more for instance.) etc.

I doubt that any answers to such a major item will show up here but just thought it might be interesting to see. I notice that right now we are 11 to 1. That is a fair margin of difference actually.

W

From my experience in the past, most people that use Exploder are not very savvy with computers. Those that use Firefox have some or more than average knowledge. Along with that, they are people who could have been turned on to Firefox by people who do know more than average. As for Opera, most of the people I know that use it, do reside outside of the US. A lot, of my friends residing in Asia (foreigners) to the locals there, they almost exclusively use Opera. ...Just my 2cents...

Those that use Firefox have some or more than average knowledge.

You may all bow to me slowly due to my superior computer knowledge!

Sorry about that Kappa but could not resist.

Actually I do agree with you that many people who use Explorer do so because they do not have to load another program, etc. And many people are just "scared" it seems to try anything new. Firefox is so easy to try. Thunderbird is harder as you have to set up all of your emails, etc. I can certainly see some people not wanting to try that one. But Firefox is so easy and so fast loading. Yet so many refuse to do that. However, if Microsoft makes people load Explorer to a new computer that might change a bit. I expect though that they will land up just making it so easier to load Explorer that it will still stay the same way.

W

In order of usage i use Firefox the most followed by Safari then Avant Browser & finally, generally if a program or app opens it automatically, IE.

Never had the urge to try Opera, and it's been at about 5-6 years since i last used Netscape.

I've been using Firefox for several years now, at least at home, and tried using Firefox portable until I lost the flash drive that it was on (I think I loaned it to the boss for some pictures he wanted, but it never came back). Work is stuck with IE since people are not supposed to be able to install anything, and all internet access is filtered (websense category blocking ). FFp was about the same as IE in that condition.

Now if we could just get the IT people to keep the computers updated...

It is interesting the number of new names I am learning here. I had heard of Avant I think but pretty much lost it again. But never for instance heard of Exploder at all. Great to be able to keep up on these.

W

But never for instance heard of Exploder at all. Great to be able to keep up on these.

If you look at your keyboard, WF, you'll notice that the "D" and the "R" are right next to each other. The "R" is in the top row. "The "D" is in the second row and one key to the left.

OK... Since everyone was talking about it I thought that it must have been the real thing. Three people mentioned it I think.

Haven't heard of Dillo or Lynx though either.

W

Dillo is a browser for Linux and Unix.

http://www.dillo.org/

It is known for being very small and very lightweight. It runs with very little memory and does not slow your computer down when it runs. For people who either have small, slow computers or who do a lot of multi-tasking Dillo is an alternative browser that doesn't bog your computer down.

Lynx is a text-only web browser for Linux and Unix.

http://lynx.isc.org/

Not only is it very lightweight, it is not affected by web bugs because it does not support graphics.

It is very useful for debugging websites and for tracing problems on the internet.

It is also useful for sneaking around on the internet because most websites don't even know it exists.

Most of your average Windoze users have never seen these browsers because they don't work on Windoze machines.

Now if we could just get the IT people to keep the computers updated...

Most of your average IT sloths don't know a thing about Linux. This is true where I work.

Consequently computers that run Linux are virtually invisible on the network.

Did you also know that most of your average IT sloths don't think about blocking the computer from booting up from an external drive inserted in the USB port?

Furthermore, if you look around, you might be able to find a Linux installation that is installable on a small, portable USB Flash Drive. You insert the drive, reboot the computer from the USB Flash Drive and work in Linux. When you're done, you shut the computer down, remove the USB Flash Drive and, when the machine restarts, it is back in Windoze and nobody will know the difference.

If you look HERE you can find more information on the subject.

Most of your average IT sloths don't know a thing about Linux. This is true where I work.

Consequently computers that run Linux are virtually invisible on the network.

Did you also know that most of your average IT sloths don't think about blocking the computer from booting up from an external drive inserted in the USB port?

Furthermore, if you look around, you might be able to find a Linux installation that is installable on a small, portable USB Flash Drive. You insert the drive, reboot the computer from the USB Flash Drive and work in Linux. When you're done, you shut the computer down, remove the USB Flash Drive and, when the machine restarts, it is back in Windoze and nobody will know the difference.

If you look HERE you can find more information on the subject.

That might be something to look into, but will the applications already on the computer be usable? I usually only have about 6 windows/items running at work (Outlook, windows explorer, an AS/400 system for parts/workorders/deferred items, 2 metaframe presentation server windows for tracking flights and out-of-service items, and an interface program for maintenance manuals). I use winexp to jump between my USB drive and several network drives for information (MX manuals on a couple computers, training information/MX planning schedules on another computer out west, etc). I think some of the specialty programs are windows only. May have to see what happens...

You reboot the computer. When it is rebooted it goes back to Windoze.

There are two ways to set up a USB Flash Drive to do this. Persistent and non-persistent.

In a persistent installation, the Linux operating system leaves a few files on the computer's hard drive so that, when you use that computer with Linux again, it will remember what you did last time. Your settings and bookmarks are preserved.

In a non-persistent installation, nothing is left on the computer's hard drive. When you reboot the computer it goes back to Windoze and there is no trace that it was ever anything else but a Windoze machine. It would take some pretty in-depth analysis to be able to tell that it ever ran Linux. Of course, somebody could catch you red handed. Then the jig would be up.

DO NOT do this if you have sensitive data on your computer. I don't recommend it to circumvent restrictive IT policies set up by your employer. What I am recommending is to allow you to operate your computer at work in the most efficient manner as you see fit so that may do your job better. (Do you read my meaning? )

I've been using Linux nearly my entire computer life, since about '98 when I got pissed off over WindowZ and realized it was not the entire PC world.

I use ubuntu which is a Debane bases Linux. Even more obscure though ubuntu is gaining a lot of ground lately with a number of Linux operating systems use it as their base now. It is well supported.

I have used Firefox since it fits with Linux so well and fleshes out the OS.

I actually have WindowZ on my other hard drive and only use it to support hardware that my Linux will not support such as my scanner. Every time I go there I demands I tend to the program instead of just getting on with what I want to do.

I have a third hard drive both WindowZ and ubuntu share that I can drop things into and retrieve from either.

I've used Opera briefly and another alltheweb a few times. Though I did not know about the two Linux browsers worker mentioned, I'll investigate them.

Since I have ten Desktops available I multi-task frequently in my business when I investigate building components and never have any 'slow' operations with Firefox thanks to Linux.

GOOGLE on Firefox is so incredible on ubuntu I seldom think of using any other browser and certainly no other OS.

OFF