A question for yu'

White Fox

OK folks...

Here is a question for you. First off, please DO NOT simply search the internet to find the answer to this. If you do that you simply spoil the fun for everyone else on the site here and probably even make it so you don't have any fun either. You can ruin it for everyone else, or you can have fun with it.

Second, if some of you know the answer for certain, I might suggest that you send me the answer and we will wait for a day or two to let others guess who this might be. To see if they can guess the answer. Let's try to let some members have fun with this rather than someone simply answering the question ten minutes after I post the question, and spoiling all of the fun for everyone else. I suggest that if you do know the answer right off that you forward me a PM, and I will let everyone know who the first person was to come send me the correct answer in a day or two after we have some fun.

So, here it is. Two brothers were among the most respected actors in the US quite a few decades ago. They were indeed very famous for their abilities in acting shakespeare and other plays and would have been known by many people as they walked down the street due to being so highly respected as actors. Their father was also just as highly respected as an actor too. These three men were even famous as actors in other parts of the world too. One committed a crime that he will be famous for for many generations to come. What crime did he commit?

What was the crime, and what happened to him after he committed that crime? By the way, feel free to ask questions that might help you guess who this was. I will gladly guide you along by answering any questions, provided I know the answer to them. I may not as my knowledge of this act is a bit lacking but will try.

W

A hint...

One of the characters here was so well known, that citizens of other countries all over the world might well know about this.

W

I will wait awhile yet and then try to give another hint that won't give it away completely.

Anyone with any more guesses?

Sorry...

Forgot about leaving that clue today.

I'll give a clue here. And, if this one doesn't help, then we end the pain.

The clue... This involves a President of the USA.

That will probably give it away. But we shall see...

I was surprised, but no one gave me a PM with the answer. So, this is still totally a mystery to everyone I guess as of tonight. But not for long I suspect when you read the clue. I expect some smart character to pick up on that one.

W

I was certain that someone would guess the answer by now. I'll leave it one more night to see if someone can guess it. I was sure that someone would with that clue.

Please remind me tomorrow night. (Busy week this week.) And, I will give the answer if no one has guess it by then.

W

OK folks. I was certain that someone would guess this one with that hint. But since they didn't...

The Father was indeed an extremely well known Shakespearean actor who acted at a time when Shakespeare was indeed very popular in the USA. Maybe even more popular than now. However, it was not unexpected that at any point during the play someone might yell out for the band to play a song. Yankee Doodle maybe sometimes? The band would play the song. (They had better, because the audience would tear the theater apart if indeed they did not play it.) After the song the actor would again break into the serious play with all of the acting and lust required to do a great job. Indeed Father was a tremendous actor know all over the USA, but indeed the world as well. At that point, people were indeed so enthused with Shakespearean plays that if they purchased a ticket and the play was not put on, or was indeed even just shortened a bit, they would - once again pretty much totally ransack the theater into ruin.

As mentioned The Father mentioned above had a family - two sons of which became actors both well known in their own right though not quite as much as he. Only one time did they play Shakespeare together. Their all being actors allowed one of them to parade the halls of a theater totally unnoticed when the President came to visit one night. Not a lot of advance notice of this presidential visit as he only announced that morning that he was coming. But just enough. Just before the play began and after it started the son was able to walk through the halls un noticed, as indeed he was quite well known for acting there. He went to the second floor and... found the president virtually unguarded. He attempted to kill two men, but only succeeded in killing the president. At the same time others tried to kill two other men in other parts of the city.

I am sure by now you know who the family was. The assassin was the famous Shakespearean actor "John Wilkes Booth". And the President of the USA was of course Abraham Lincoln. After LIncoln was shot he was brought to a more dignified room to die as they did not want him to die in the theater as a person of lowly estate. When they carried him onto the street they did not even indeed know where they were heading though they knew he was dying. In short, Booth killed the president, and leaped down to the stage breaking his lower leg as I recall. Might have been a different bone though. He confessed to the deed, and raced out to his horse to escape across the river. He and an accomplice tried to escape to the South, but everything went wrong, allowing the troopers to catch up to him in an old barn. Booth was shot by an overzealous trooper. Five people were hung as I recall.

Although there were tremendous feelings on both sides at the time, it soon calmed down. The theater was closed and then opened, and closed again never to re-open. All of the "guts" were removed and it became a wearhouse among other things - at one point almost totally collapsing apparently. Only just recently was it turned back into a theater and decorated just as it was the night Lincoln was shot.

So, there you are folks. The explanation.

Hey, it feels good to fool all the cultured folk once in awhile! " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

White Fox

• 2 weeks later...
Two brothers were among the most respected actors in the US quite a few decades ago.

Interesting information.

Fur the record, I would call ~145 years ago more than "quite a few decades" ... That's over a century.

• 1 month later...

Haven't thought of any. Just too busy with work right now I guess. Had budgeted for poor sales due to the economy, and instead, we've been swamped. So, with less product on stock going in due to forecast sales have been hit double.

Anyhow, will see if I can think of any...

W

OK...

Since you asked..

I've two I thought of. The first one is very easy. I think someone will get it right away. The second is much more difficult.

Again, if you don't know the answer please don't search for it on the net and spoil the fun. Give others a chance to answer first.

The subject is dice. Event dice piece made has some things in common. They are all extremely well balanced. They have the numbers from one to six. But there is one other thing about the way they are made. Something to do with numbers. Every dice made has this in common.

OK, there you are. What do they have in common. Again, something to do with the numbers. Yes, all numbers are from one to six. But what is the other thing?

W

By the way. It was unfortunate that our Founder FrBrGr was away at the time of the last quiz question about the acting family called Boothe. I was pretty sure he would know the answer and found out he would have, had he been home.

Too easy!

Really? I've thought of a couple of possibilities, but nothing definitive yet.

By the way. It was unfortunate that our Founder FrBrGr was away at the time of the last quiz question about the acting family called Boothe. I was pretty sure he would know the answer and found out he would have, had he been home.

Well, naturally. He probably remembers reading about it in the papers.

Sorry, FrBrGr ... Could not resist.

• 3 weeks later...

I did not know that!

I'll have to dig up one and verify..

Visit The Fur Den ... And learn something new most every day ...