Hook-N-Eye Versus Button-N-Loop -- Which Do You Prefur?

JGalanos

When I first started buying furs I was partial to hook-n-eye closures -- I liked the "clean" look they provided. However, as my fur collection has grown so too have the types of closures (zippered jackets and coats with hooks-n-eyes as well as buttons-n-loops). While I still appreciate the look afforded by hook-n-eye closures, I am finding that I actually prefer the button-n-loop closures. They are much easier to open and close and I've never had one of them fly open when they encountered a strong wind.

Your thoughts/preferences?

Hook and eye. Less stress on the fur . . .

I had that concern as well (stress/abrasion) but three of my full length furs have button-n-loop closures (coyote, fisher, ranch mink) and so far I've not had any issues. I actually worry more about damaging the foxes as I try to connect the hooks and eyes than I do the three coats with buttons-(coyote and fisher are single breasted and ranch mink is double breasted) -- My crystal fox and silver fox coats both have very dense underfur and long guard hairs and locating the eyes can be quite frustrating.

As you mention, finding hooks and eyes in fox can be very frustrating. The opposite is that with the loops that they usually use for to put buttons through (i.e. on opposite side of the coat) break easily and fairly often.

I think either way is decent. Neither are "Good".

W

I think either way is decent. Neither are "Good".

I agree. Neither is ideal. I think I read once that furriers were experimenting with magnets as potential closures ... I never quite worked out the logistics of that one (how would you avoid crushing/flattening the fur?).

By the way, this gets back to why I do not like coats with detachable hoods.

First off, when the hood is up you often see the "Line" where the hood is attached. Secondly, and more importantly there have been times when I came home from a "dress up event" and found one side of the hood hanging down as the attachment had come loose. Above that, it can be difficult to reattach without that being noticed some times.

That brings up another question though. A long fur coat is to be worn in very cold weather. The coldest that the owner will see. It is not really to be worn in spring or fall. So, if it is to be worn in very cold weather, why would it not have a hood? It just always seems to me almost bizarre that fur jackets often have hoods. A jacket is to be worn generally in times that are not as cold. But, a long coat is to be worn in the coldest. Yet jackets often have hoods and long coats seldom.

Yes, I know it is fashion now, but fashions like that generally begin with a reason, and the reason for this one seems strange and as I mentioned, strange almost to the point of being bizarre.

W

why would it not have a hood?

I would guess because (I think) hoods have traditionally been associated with casual clothing and while there are definitely exceptions I think the majority of fur coats tend to be formal and the majority of fur jackets tend to be casual. Other thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us who don't live in the cities, where you actually walk in formal furs, most ladie I know never use the closures except for the top button at the neck. In bad weather, instead I tuck my hands deep in my pockets and "burrow" in my fur when I leave the car and go to the building. I love huge collars for this reason.

For my mink, when I do close it, I prefer clip-and-lock closures. But, they need to be replaced often, which is a pain.

For longer guardhair furs, I prefer the hook and clip.

On buttons with loop closures, that is something I found in ladies vintage and mens coats, so not a lot history in using them.

Linda

in the cities, where you actually walk in formal furs

I guesstimate I've walked over 40 miles in full length furs this winter ... Occasionally in 30 MPH winds. There are few things more annoying than having your coat fly open in bitter, windy weather. Thus my increasing appreciation for hook-n-loop closures.

why would it not have a hood?

I would guess because (I think) hoods have traditionally been associated with casual clothing and while there are definitely exceptions I think the majority of fur coats tend to be formal and the majority of fur jackets tend to be casual. Other thoughts?

I would agree that detachable hoods are a part of a casual piece. Of the formal furs I have seen with hoods that were attached, and more often a cross between a "hood" and a very large collar which could be pulled up. If I lived in the "City," I would own one.

But, both of these styles, at least the ones I have seen, I doubt the hood would stay in place unless you had the wind to your back. The wind catches them like a sail and blows them back. Casual hoods allow you other closures to secure them.

Must admit when I think of a fur hood, I think of Aspen and Summit County. Miss them as much as I do my furs!

Linda

I doubt the hood would stay in place unless you had the wind to your back. The wind catches them like a sail and blows them back

I have this issue with one of my faux furs -- A hooded parka without any means of securing the hood. When walking into a strong wind it gets blown back.

Linda mentions here the one huge problem with hoods. I finally bowed down with one and had a leather strap put in to match the fur colour.

It does seem from my experience that hoods are hard to fit too. There is of course the problem that many do not "Sit down" right, and are all out of place often if not designed absolutely correctly. I often think that about half of the hooded coats are that way. But of the ones that sit down nicely, most seem too big, so blow down easily. I've a hooded coat where the hood seems exactly right. One other had a hood too big so I said one summer to make that hood the same size as the other. They came back and said it is the same size exactly already. I think the problem is probably, the design of the coat at the collar region. If the hood begins slightly further in or out it changes the size completely, thus making it hard to measure. Without being able to measure easily they in turn make the hood over size so that hey know it will fit for sure.

W

I have just now seen that discussion changed to another interesting detail - I also think that hoods are really strange to manage. As for my knowledge about them; I have my black sheared nutria pullover going together with a detachable hook and eye solution with a drawstring to tighten the whole hood. Therefor no problem with blowing wind, but not exactly the most impressive look; I can loose the drawstring when weared down, but it always stays a "sack" outside the design of the pullover. I also have a hood in form of a mask to be weared sepeartely (in black rex rabbit) - this is also a nice and snug design since totally engulfs my head - but it is DEFINITELY not practical (remove glasses; where to let it if not weared ....).

I think the oppsites of a hood are:

tight and nice fit on the head - bad looking when weared down

VS

good looking hood weared down, but not practical nor tight and snuglly when weared up.

(again hoping my german translated ideas get through ...)

Zaphod_bee