Neat Nixie's and model too

Guest OFF or Old Fur F##t

Bit hard to tell how it works. Probably a switch of some kind to change from calander to time.

I am a bit surprised that they would sell a piece that is not in a cabinet as the "Spinning one" that they sell is. That could be REAL dangerous as there are indeed circuits in there that are high voltage. Reminds me of one time someone not far from here was getting something from behind a cabinet. Touching a grounded furnace pipe. They touched a "hot" wire, and since they were in an enclosed area, their body reaction to pull away could not protect them and indeed death was the result.

That is indeed interesting though. Some nice work recreating old technology though using a good bit of modern tech to drive it. Often times we forget how bad new technology can be. I went in to a radio shack one time looking for a radio. Asked for one that made tube type sound. Fortunately the guy knew exactly what I meant, and he showed me the only one they had like that. I listened and bought it instantly. An endless number of people come in here, and ask me how old that radio is. They hear the difference instantly. Yet, we have gradually came to just accept the modern crappy sound they put into these sets. Old time sound can be gotten from modern technology as that radio shows. However, we refuse to buy anything but the cheapest, so that is what we get. Cheap crap!

W

That's a very cool clock! But those tubes are fluorescent, not true nixie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixie_tube

True nixie tubes are VERY expensive!

I have an old Zenith tube radio in my garage. (Circa 1930's model.)

If you know radios of that vintage, it's known as a "10 Tube" model because it contains 10 vacuum tubes.

I refuse to bring it in the house because of its age. If you don't already know this, old tube radios have a tendency to catch fire! Most of the time, they just go "Poof!" and stop working but, every once in a while, they can actually go up in flames.

The reason why they fail is because the old capacitors (condensers) inside are made of wax paper and mineral oil. When those components get old and dry out, they tend to overheat and, if they get too hot, the wax can catch fire. Most of the time they just pop and stop conducting electricity. Once in a while, they can actually go up in flame.

I have been meaning to repair that old radio and replace all the old wax capacitors with modern metal ones but it can be a tedious job. It will only cost about $50 for the parts but it can take a good weekend's worth of work to do the job and do it right. I just don't have the time and gumption to do it.

So, folks, if you have an old tube radio in your house, you should be very careful!

Have it checked by a competent radio technician. If it's still got its old "caps" you should never leave it plugged in to the wall when you are not in the room. They can even go up in flames when they are turned off. If you unplug them, they are safe.

Once those caps are changed, the radio will be right as rain for the foreseeable future.

worker;

I do the change over in old tube amplifiers I upgrade with new polypropylene capacitors mostly or new electrolytic's where appropriate.

If it don't glow it don't go

OFF