What's Wrong With This Picture?

FrBrGr

In keeping with the thread on voter registration in the US, vis-s-vis the upcoming presidential election, I just read that between the McCain-Palin and Obama-Biden campaigns, $880 million will be raised and spent to finance these campaigns. I have even seen estimates that the amount will exceed $1 billion!

Can you visualize how much $1 billion is? This will help: http://www.wallstats.com/blog/visualizing-one-billion-dollars/

(Ready?)

I wonder how many health insurance policies could be paid for with this money? How many mortgages could have been/be saved? How much energy development and research could be paid for? And that's just the tip of the socio-political-economic iceberg in this country! $1 billion is greater than the GNP of some nations!

The really sad thing is that instead of hearing valid points and counter-points that would actually educate the populace on who these candidates are and what they represent, we are being fed a steady diet of lies, half-truths and distorted truths.

Reform is definitely needed in our country, and on many different levels. It would be a good thing to start at the presidential campaign level . . .

BrGr, I sure wish that I could say that our country is different!!!!!!

I agree totally.

Today we need a lot more Statesmen, and a lot fewer Politicians.

The one thing I have learned more and more is that people that truly do have the country's best interest at heart usually get pushed out and ignored. There are too many in all the right places to ensure only the puppets they want, get into the places they want.

There are 'a lot' of things that need changing. Sadly, not enough are either educated or interested enough to know this and be a strong enough force for change. Living abroad like I have, I've seen the differences and it's only served to fuel my disgust for the greedy and self-serving.