Doing furs Green (Environmentally that is)

Guest OFF or Old Fur F##t

I've in general attempted to be as Green as I can since I am as an Architect in my practice.

Why should I not be as such with my furs? Just like the Green Channel with Ed Begley, Jr and Rachelle Carson.

With all recycled furs AND jackets I've done very well so far. All real fur, leather, wool and cotton. Very small amounts of synthetic materials where it was either necessary or already with the jacket. In a new jacket other natural choices could be made and were historically.

I just backslid with the purchase of a mid thigh hooded yellow GAP plastic slicker. It is used so I suppose I'm not cheating too much here. With a pair of yellow plastic trousers I'll be bone dry

There is the practical need of a real waterproof outfit for those plus Class 20 rainy days up here in the lefthand corner. We rate rain in 30 stages or types like the Eskimo do snow.

It will most likely get a sheared River Otter or Fur Seal lining.

After watching the Green Channel I only feel slightly guilty

OFF

Hey Off,

I watch the Green Channel too occasionally! I wouldn't feel guilty about splurging a little once in awhile. It sounds like you already do your part in being as Green as you can I really like the idea of recycled and used fur....it's cheaper too! I just hope it lasts as long as brand new fur

With every turn of the car key, people probably kill more animals with their exhaust fumes than it takes to make a fur coat! Add to that the environmental costs of oil exploration and refining and that number probably goes up to TEN coats!

Don't forget about the habitat destruction caused by building roads and highways!

It really bugs me when people pontificate about being "environmental" all day long then they get up and hop into their SUV and drive half a mile to the convenience store to buy themselves a Coke and a bag of chips!

For the environmental cost of all those cars, I bet everybody in the US could have a free fur coat if they wanted one!

With every turn of the car key, people probably kill more animals with their exhaust fumes than it takes to make a fur coat! Add to that the environmental costs of oil exploration and refining and that number probably goes up to TEN coats!

Don't forget about the habitat destruction caused by building roads and highways!

It really bugs me when people pontificate about being "environmental" all day long then they get up and hop into their SUV and drive half a mile to the convenience store to buy themselves a Coke and a bag of chips!

For the environmental cost of all those cars, I bet everybody in the US could have a free fur coat if they wanted one!

Can that include the UK too please?

999 xxx

It includes any place where there are cars!

Seriously, how many cute little bunnies and furry little foxes were never even born because we built roads and oil refineries over what used to be their homes?

For that kind of damage, I bet we could all have an Olympic sized swimming pool filled with furs!

It is funny how things may come full circle.

I am sure that anti-fur protesters would rather we wore anything 'but' fur...

however.. in this massive industrial production world we live it.. what material 'is' made without the use of heavy 'oil' needing machinery....?

do we have any thing?

from woolen mills to cotton plants...we have come to use 'machines' for all trades..

Ironically one of the most polluting "industries" uses the least "machinery".

Cattle Feed lots, pig farms and Dairy Farms.

While they are by no means machinery free, the pollution from the machinery they do use is totally swamped by the massive methane pollution from the cattle. They are the single largest source of methane pollution and account for 19-20% of the total pollution from all sources other than natural or environmental (volcanoes, gas vents, thermal vents etc.).

Feed lots are not a natural phenomenon.

With proper design this could be almost totally eliminated with the waste product turned into useful products. Gas, fertilizer and other fuel types.

Fur farms are not even a blip on the environmental hit list. They may be nearly neutral for all we know.

OFF