Vintage

cbernard92

Hi everyone,

What are your ideas on buying vintage furs? I know there can be advantages such as price and you can have really nice finds. I'm considering a few coats for myself that I have found.

cberanrd92

Condition, condition, condition. BEFORE buying a vintage garment, one needs to carefully examine the garment and evaluate the condition of the pelts. All furs will eventually dry out to the point that they start to fall apart. Furs that have not been properly cared for will dry out faster.

In examining a used garment beyond looking for rips and worn spots, flex the pelts between your hands. If the pelts seem stiff and/or they sound stiff, they are dry and the additional useful life of the garment will be very short.

As a student who started off buying vintage items, I have to say it's very risky. Sometimes you can get great bargains, other times you can end up with worthless crap to put it crudely. Try and get good photos from the seller, and ask them lots of questions - Don't be afriad of being a bit pedantic there.

To be honest, I have to say it's worth saving a bit more cash, and getting something nice that will last which isn't shabby. Also, be patient with eBay. Good things come if you wait and watch, particularly round the summer period when not many will be buying and selling (so things are cheaper, but more sparse). Practically all my furs I buy for myself are new or almost new condition. I normally end up spending between $100 and $400 for most my coats.