Why peole live longer than dogs

ReFur

A friend just sent me this email. I had to share it with you.

The sweetness of the heart...

Why people live longer than dogs

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year- old Irish Wolfhound named Bellcore. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Bellcore and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Bellcore and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Bellcore, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Bellcore's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Bellcore slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Bellcore's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Bellcore's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life; like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?"

The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Proof that sometimes, children are a lot smarter than us adults

Then again, try finding three ways people are better than chickens (got this question from George Carlin)

Unclejoe

• 3 weeks later...

I know why i lived longer than my cat. Because of the National Health Service. I get 'free' health care.

My cat was ill so i took him to the vet's. I nearly fainted when i saw the vet's bill so i took my cat to one side and told him if he was ill again i'd wring his neck; he was ill again.

Mr Barguzin,

It isn't a joke; it really happened.

PS i didn't ring his neck; he died naturally at the age of sixteen and i buried him in the garden.

Rolling On Floor

BTW Allfurme.... sorry.... just goes to show my weird sense of humour I guess. Tasteless to some, enjoyable to some, but mine all the time.