Arctic - Lack of Fur

WinnipegFur

I spent a day in Nunavut yesterday (1000 miles north of Winnipeg with a group I went up with yesterday fora business meeting) I was really surprised at the LACK of fur the people were wearing.... I always got the impression of the photos all the time of big fur coats, fur mukluks, fir mitts, and I really saw nothing of it... most the the jackets were trimmed with large furs (mostly arctic fox, and the occasional coyote) I did see some pairs of fur mitts in beaver and coyote, but none for sale..I was hoping to come home with a pair, but no such luck... it was a bitter -30 up there with the windchill... maybe that was a warming trend?? I know for me it was brutal!!

-30 wow.. now that is cold..

I guess that the images of everyone running around in furs has given over to man made materials with fur trims etc etc...or perhaps the pressure on anti-fur has pushed even the coldest of populations to stay clear..

I am sorry you didn't manage to get any furry gifts.

Brandy

xxxxx

Could also be the economy.

Yes.. here are a few examples of prices (these are in Canadian dollars, but shows an example of the extreme difference in prices these people have to pay... the only way in an out is by air, and the nearest next poit would be Rankin Inlet about 150 miles away by air.

There was a Pizza Hut up there beleive it or not... a medium deep dish pepperoni pizza.. $25

ONE box of Kraft Dinner $2.50 (about 80 cents in Winnipeg)

Sunny delight OJ - $14

Gas for the plane to get home $2/ litre (double price in Winnipeg)

A can of pop out of the machine $2.50

Its an eye opener for sure... I complain about pricing down "south" I woldn't be able to survive up there!

I saw a TV program several years ago that mentioned the price of butter in an Inuit village in remote Alaska. It was $8 a pound.

Tricia

Winipeg Fur..

The cost of food and provisions is high.. even high to British Standards and we are a fairly expensive country..(now paying £1.11 a litre of petrol = $2.20).....

Is there money income for jobs on an equal level.. or is surviving and living up in the cold an almost impossibility????

Brandy

xxxxx

Unless you're running an oil rig or something equally insane that is insanely profitable you get barely what you make south of Calgary.

Don't know about Winnipeg or further east.

OFF

I don't know what the people do up there for a source of income in all honesty... there seems to be alot of contract work, and the workers seem to do a 2 week rotation... Not sure what the native people to the area do... I think there is alot of government support though.

A very basic hotel room, an we're talking small room (the entire room was no bigger and say a bedroom you would give a child in your house) was $200/day... I'd say it was worth $30 in my opinion!!

For your gas reference, in Winnipeg we are noe paying $1.26 litre for lowest octane rated fuel...

• 3 weeks later...

For your gas reference, in Winnipeg we are noe paying $1.26 litre for lowest octane rated fuel...

Try driving a diesel in the UK, it now costs me over £70 to fill up at 124.9p a litre. The first time it's been more than 70 quid. That's over US$140 for you guys over the water!

Tax sucks eh?