The tale (tail?) of the rabbit.

White Fox

Here is a quiz for you folks.

In a movie an old fellow mentions that you cannot "Tell a tale about a Rabbit, cause a rabbit ain't got no tail!" Those are not the exact words but the general message is correct.

So, here is the challenge. This movie is still considered by many as being one of the best films ever made by this huge movie company. If no one gets it, there are other hints, but I expect that someone will get this little quiz immediately.

Can anyone tell me what that movie is and what huge movie company made it? and, maybe approximately when?

(Please don't spoil the quiz by an internet search. Let's have fun with this without cheating!)

W

I am terrible at these things ... But will give it a shot. I've never seen it from beginning to end but your clues made me think of Disney's "Song of the South" (with Br'er Rabbit). I'm probably way out in left field.

JG, you are absolutely correct. It is indeed from "Song of the South"

Now then, can someone tell us the approximate time that "Song of the South" was made? (Hint - it is in colour.) It was indeed made by Disney. And, since many very learned people consider it the best movie ever made by Walt Disney (or later the Disney Company), where can you buy discs for it?

Also, it was the first movie where a particular type of filming was done. Can anyone tell us what the type of programming is? It is the first movie where a certain technique was used. (Hint, many people think "Rodger Rabbit" holds this record but they are not correct.)

W

Interesting...

OK, we are down to one question. This film was the first at something. Something was done for the first time within it. And this thing that was done was really, really big. As mentioned. 99% of the people you ask will tell you that Rodger Rabbit was the first film to do this. But, as you will see, they are wrong. Can you tell us what was the "spectacular first" about this movie?

However, I would also suggest that it's being in colour was really quite big also. I've no idea how many pictures were in colour back them. But doubt it was very many. This was NOT colourized. It was originally done in colour.

When the last question is answered here, I'll give a fuller post.

J

Animation and real characters.

Technicolor I believe? Which is actually three black and white narrow spectrum films run together and dyed. Then made into one print.

OFF

You got it OFF...

The film was one of Disney's first and is still considered an absolute classic to this day. But try to purchase it. It was withdrawn due to the "Tar Baby" and it's possible linking to African culture being wrongly taken.

The film is an absolute classic in so many ways. Early colour. It is as mentioned the first film to use animation and real people together. Everyone knows Rodger Rabbit was the first. Yet Song of the South was probably 40 years earlier and they did it. And it was a master piece. There is a scene with Uncle Remus and the Bull Frog that is priceless when Remus lights the Frog's pipe! There is a connection to "Uncle Tom's Cabin" but forget what it was. I believe that was in the original name somehow and then they changed it.

The film is tremendous even today if you get through the first ten minutes or so. Those first few minutes are extremely dated, but after that it is beautiful. It could probably be brought out to the theaters again today and would draw huge numbers of people.

Disney withdrew it a few years back due to the black/white thing. It is interesting to see that the film may be/is coming back. I've a boot leg copy, but would love one of the real thing. It has been available in other languages with sub titles. Hopefully this now means it will be available again in English. It is probably one of the best films available of the "after slave" plantation era in the US.

The characters in the story - Braer Fox, Rabbit, etc were characters withdrawn straight from the old slave stories and I seem to recall maybe even date back to Africa. There is a huge amount of history in this film.

I highly recommend it to everyone. Once you get into it, you will probably quikly forget that it was made in 1946. Remember that it went round the theaters in something like 1974. So that was not that far back as vs "46 when it was madeâ™ .

So there you are folks. A classic for you to see. Great for kids. Great for adults. Just remember that there are a lot of "hidden meanings" that younger kids might now grasp, etc.

Except for Snow White which came out in early 1938 [i was born in Dec. 1936] I saw the first run of all the Disney films up to Bambi and remember them all.

OFF