Loving"Soapie"DVD clips

SA_Mink

I have scourced a person who has offered to copy her video clips of Loving but the scenes Specifically with the soap stars in Furs and believe me there are some gorgeous fur scenes ...............But my dilemma only starts there I am in South Africa and i think she is in New York and the shipping alone is going to kill me she said she would do it for the exchange of wre writable DVD's another thing is if she does it South africa works on PAL and i think the USA works on NTCS would one have to change the recording format while writing it to disc could someone help in this regard

SA_Mink

I don't htink those formats have anything to do with DVD's?

That's for VCR Tapes.

it's a universal format isn't it?

OFF

May be i am reading this post wrong, but i understand that NTSC will not play on region 2 players, you have to purhase a specific DVD player for region 1 DVDs

Most DVD players region settings can be cracked quite easily now though, both pc based and domestic standalones. But any DVD will have to be written to DVD standard.

Having said that, if a program is transcribed from NTSC it could be converted to an .avi file or .wmf, which will play on any dvd or cd system.

As for video, NTSC and PAL players are not compatable and won't play each others tapes.

Hope this sheds some light

Tryxie

NTSC is the format that the video/audio signal(s) are coded in for display on the screen. Region codes are a supposed "anti-piracy" scheme that prevents people from one country from sending videos to another before they are released in that area. (Movies and videos are often released in the US before they are released in Europe or vice-versa.)

Yes, you can crack region coding quite easily. In fact, you can even "scrub" the region code off your copies so that they will play anywhere.

The NTSC vs. PAL/SECAM issue is another can of worms. The way the image is recorded onto the media, be it video tape or DVD/VCD is fundimentally different. One format will not play on the other's equipment.

You can trans-code from one format to the other but it takes time, effort and a bit of skill. You also stand to lose som image/sound quality.

My suggestion would be to copy them to a hard drive somewhere and change them into digital video files (QuickTime) and e-mail them. Better yet, put them on a server, somewhere and send your friend a link to the file so they can download. It's a lot easier and faster... provided you have a fast internet connection and computers with enough horsepower to do the work.

All of this pre-supposes that you have the rights to copy such material.

If you are the rightful owner of copyrighted material it's OK do do this. If you are not, there are some hoops you'll have to jump through. It gets complicated. If the material is Public Domain, then all bets are off.